[sci.electronics] question about computer power supply

hbj@uafhcx.uucp (Bernard Johnson) (07/15/90)

I recently bought a NCR PC-6 power supply to power some hobby projects.  When I
received the supply, I measured the outputs. The +12V line measured +4.95V
and the +5V line measured +4.8V.  I have been told that the +12V line will not
be +12V until a load is connected to the supply.  I was told that the scheme
was somewhat like the IBM 'goodline', whatever that is.  If this is so, what is
reason for this and what kind of load should be connected?

Posting is fine but I would prefer email.  If there is enough interest I will
summarize.

Bernard Johnson
hbj@uafhcx.uark.edu

v105l4lg@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (collie) (07/16/90)

In article <4924@uafhp.uark.edu>, hbj@uafhcx.uucp (Bernard Johnson) writes...

>I recently bought a NCR PC-6 power supply to power some hobby projects.  When I
>received the supply, I measured the outputs. The +12V line measured +4.95V
>and the +5V line measured +4.8V.  I have been told that the +12V line will not
>be +12V until a load is connected to the supply.  I was told that the scheme
>was somewhat like the IBM 'goodline', whatever that is.  If this is so, what is
>reason for this and what kind of load should be connected?

>Posting is fine but I would prefer email.  If there is enough interest I will
>summarize.
                              ***************

	I don't know about that NCR PC-6 supply,but I do know that the IBM
 power supply gives the expected voltage without a load being apply,if my
 memory serves me right.So in that case,I would assume that maybe something
 is wrong with that NCR job you have.

                                                        collie
x Under durest !!

> >I recently bought NCR PC-6 power supply to power some hobby projects.  When I
> >received the supply, I measured the outputs. The +12V line measured +4.95V
> >and +5V line measured +4.8V.  I have been told that the +12V line will not
> >be +12V until a load is connected to the supply.  I was told that the scheme
> >was somewhat like the IBM 'goodline', whatever that is.
>
> 	I don't know about that NCR PC-6 supply,but I do know that the IBM
>  power supply gives the expected voltage without a load being apply,if my
>  memory serves me right.So in that case,I would assume that maybe something
>  is wrong with that NCR job you have.

	I have no specific knowledge of the NCR PC-6 power supply, but I
would like to point out something that I have seen on other computer power
supplies which *could* be your problem.

	Some well-designed power supplies provide an external sense lead
which is connected to a terminal on the PC-board backplane.  This will
automatically compensate for any IR drop between the supply and the
backplane.  If your power supply has a multi-pin connector whose pin
functions are not explicitly labeled or otherwise known, it may be that
one or more pins are for sense purposes.

	Failing to connect a voltage sense lead to the power output lead
will result in an incorrect voltage with lack of regulation (usually, but
not always a *lower* voltage).

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) (07/17/90)

In article <4924@uafhp.uark.edu> hbj@uafhcx.uucp (Bernard Johnson) writes:

>I recently bought a NCR PC-6 power supply to power some hobby projects.  When I
>received the supply, I measured the outputs. The +12V line measured +4.95V
>and the +5V line measured +4.8V.  I have been told that the +12V line will not
>be +12V until a load is connected to the supply.  I was told that the scheme

Sounds like you have a normal SwitchMode PSU. Normally these need a
minimum load in order for the regulation circuitry to operate, many have
overload and underload protection.

I once had an SMPSU (from an I*M peecee as it happens) I was using to
power a Hard Disk. It would spin the drive up, but once the initial load
dropped off it would underload and switch itself off. Adding another
drive fixed that problem.
Geoff McCaughan        Email: geoff@actrix.co.nz  Phone: +64 3 539545 or 852101
Amiga/Hardware/Unix/Quantum Mechanics Hacker      Phax : +64 3 539567
"Anarchy: Think of it as evolution in action."            ^ NEW ZEALAND!

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (07/18/90)

In article <3852@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
+---------------
| 	Some well-designed power supplies provide an external sense lead
| which is connected to a terminal on the PC-board backplane.  This will
| automatically compensate for any IR drop between the supply and the
| backplane.  If your power supply has a multi-pin connector whose pin
| functions are not explicitly labeled or otherwise known, it may be that
| one or more pins are for sense purposes.
|
| 	Failing to connect a voltage sense lead to the power output lead
| will result in an incorrect voltage with lack of regulation (usually, but
| not always a *lower* voltage).
+---------------

And even *more*-well-designed supplies contain internal resistors between
the sense leads and the outputs to keep the output from wandering far afield
if the sense leads get disconnected. The internal resistor is usually a lot
larger than the resistance of the sense wire but small enough to give good
regulation if the sense wire is broken/missing. (A typical value is ~20 ohm.)

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (08/01/90)

In article <4924@uafhp.uark.edu>, hbj@uafhcx.uucp (Bernard Johnson) writes:
> I have been told that the +12V line will not
> be +12V until a load is connected to the supply.

Some multi-voltage switching supplies regulate only the 5V output. If there
is no 5V load, the switcher will cut back to a very low duty cycle, and this
may not be enough to sustain the 12V output (especially if there is a load
there). Try putting a load on the 5V output and see if that affects the
12V output.

Phil