[sci.electronics] vcr recording

zahid@mozart.amd.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) (07/20/90)

I seems to be having problems recording movies vcr-vcr. What happens
is that the recording vcr receives some signal from the replaying
vcr that either removes the blanking pulse, distorts it, or
messes up the sync pulse. I may be wrong entirely but atleast I'm
sure that the signal is tampered with to prevent recording. I don't
know why anyone would want to do that since it's for only home use,
but I want to get around it. The symptoms are if you are viewing
from the recording vcr end, a slight but periodic change in the
brightness of the screen. This is not the case if you just want
to view the movie.

Any of you guys got any circuits out there? Really appreciate it.

				Zahid

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul19.222558.7820@mozart.amd.com> zahid@mozart.amd.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) writes:
>The symptoms are if you are viewing
>from the recording vcr end, a slight but periodic change in the
>brightness of the screen. This is not the case if you just want
>to view the movie.
>
>Any of you guys got any circuits out there? Really appreciate it.
>
>				Zahid

The varying brightness is characteristic of MacroVision, one of the better
anti-duplication schemes.  You may also notice a horizontal bar that
moves from the top to the bottom of the screen on your duplicate tape.

In any event, MacroVision can be defeated.  You can buy copy boxes for
about $50 that will take care of the problem or you can build one yourself.
Supposedly there was a recent article in Radio Electronics (I think) that
had the plans for one.  Total on the parts would probably run close to
$30 or so anyway, so it may be easier just to buy one.

Look in the back of Radio Electronics, Video Magazine, Video Review, etc.
to find ads for these things.

							--- Jeff

+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|   Jeff DePolo N3HBZ   | Internet: depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu               |
| Univ. of Pennsylvania | RF: 146.685- 224.40- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelpia) |
| Computer Science Eng. | Twisted pair: (215) 386-7199 home                   |
|     Class of 1991     | Carrier pigeon: 420 South 42nd St. Philly, PA 19104 |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (07/25/90)

What you want is a video duplication enhancer.  There are several
models available and they all work fine.  Ask your friendly consumer
electronics salesman.
--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

zahid@mozart.amd.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) (07/25/90)

I'd like to thank Chia-Chi Chao and `dplatt' (sorry couldn't find
a name there) for their vcr recording help. Mail doesn't seem to
work today. Thanks for the circuit DP.

				Regards
				Zahid

zahid@mozart.amd.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) (08/03/90)

This is for Paul L. Moreau who wanted a copy of the schematic
for the macrovision decoder. I can't seem to get email through
to him so I'm posting it here. Hope it works for you Paul.

			Regards
			Zahid

zahid@mozart.amd.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) (08/03/90)

Sorry my original post got cut short. Here's the schematic someone
sent me. It has not been tested so I can't say if it works. I don't
claim any responsibility for the contents of this article so use
at your own risk.

		----------------------------
 From: mark@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Mark Quattrocchi)
 Subject: Macrovision Eliminator
 Date: 16 Jun 88 23:24:38 GMT

   Well here it is. Since I've had so many request for this goody I thought
I'd just post it instead. This Macrovision Eliminator is about as good as I
can get it. It has a bandwidth well over 10mhz and should be able to drive
a number of devices in parallel. For those who plan to make one I must warn
you that I take no responsibilty for anything (my disclaimer :-)). I have
tried it on a number of different tapes, VCRs and TVs so it should work good
for everybody.

Have fun!!! Yeah, I can finally rent tapes again!

Notes: This also eliminates time codes and close caption information.
       Sorry about the cryptic schematic but what can you do when all
       you have is ASCII to work with. If you don't see a + at an
       intersection it isn't connected.

                                           ____________
                                          |   LM1201   |
Video          10uf                     16|            |12
 In >-----+--+--||---+--------------------|In      Vcc2|--------------+--<+12v
          |  |    +  | 1N914             3|            |15     200    |
          |  |       +--|<|--+------------|Vref    Vcc1|------/\/\/---+
Video     |  |               | .1uf       |            |10     75     |
 In >------------>Gnd        +--||--+     |        Vcc3|------/\/\/---+
          |  |               75     |     |            |
          |  +--------------/\/\/---+     |            |
          |       10k               |     |            |13   .1uf
+12v>--------+---/\/\/--------------+     |     Cont.C.|------||------+
          |  |     |Gain            |    4|            |              |
          |  |     +----------------------|Contrast    |              |
          |  |    10k               |     |            |14            |
          |  +---/\/\/--------------+     |     Cont.C.|--------------+
          |  |     |Offset          |    6|            |
          |  |     +----------------------|Clamp+      |
          |  |    5.1k       43k    |     |            |
          |  +---/\/\/---+--/\/\/---+     |            |
          |     1000pf   |          |    5|            |11      51
          |  +----||-----+----------------|C.G.   Drive|------/\/\/---+
          |  |                      |    8|            |2     .1uf    |
       +-----------------+----------------|Out     Ccap|-------||-----+
       |  |  |           |   75     |     |            |7             |
       |  |  |           +--/\/\/---+     |        Gnd2|--------------+
       |  |  |           |   200    |    9|            |1             |
       |  |  |           +--/\/\/---------|Clamp-  Gnd1|--------------+
       |  |  |                      |     |____________|              |
       |  |  |                      |           A1                    |
Gnd>--------------------------------+---------------------------------+
       |  |  |
       |  |  |
       |  |  +------------------------------------+
       |  |                    ____________       |
       |  |                   |   LM1881   |      |
       |  |                  8|            |1     |
       |  |           +12v>---|Vcc    Csync|----------+
       |  |          .1uf    2|            |5     |   |
       |  +-----------||------|In     Burst|------+   |
       |        680          6|            |3         |
       |    +--/\/\/-+--------|Rset   Vsync|------+   |
       |    |  .1uf  |       4|            |7     |   |
       |    +---||---+    +---|Gnd    Field|-     |   |
       |    |             |   |____________|      |   |
       |    |             |         A2            |   |
       |    |             |   450         750     |   |
Gnd>--------+-------------+--/\/\/---+---/\/\/----+   |
       |                             |                |
       |               +-------------+                |
       |               |                              |
       |    +-----------------------------------------+
       |    |          |
       |    |          |       ____________
       |    |          |      |  74LS221   |
       |    |          |     1|   (1/2)    |16
       |    |          +------|A1       Vcc|----<+5v
       |    |                2|            |13
       |    |      +5v>---+---|B1        Q1|------+
       |    |             |  3|            |      |
       |    |             +---|Rst1        |      |
       |    |          .1uf 14|          __|4     |
       |    |Position+--||----|C1        Q1|-     |
       |    |  10k   |      15|            |      |
+5v>----------/\/\/--+--------|R/C1        |      |
       |    |   |    |        |____________|      |
       |    |   +----+              A3            |
       |    |          +--------------------------+
       |    |          |
       |    |          |       ____________
       |    |          |      |  74LS221   |
       |    |          |     9|   (1/2)    |8
       |    |          +------|A2       Gnd|---<Gnd
       |    |               10|            |5
       |    |      +5v>---+---|B2        Q2|------------+
       |    |             | 11|            |            |
       |    |             +---|Rst2        |            |
       |    |           .1uf 6|          __|12          |
       |    |  Width  +--||---|C2        Q2|-           |
       |    |   10k   |      7|            |            |
+5v>-----------/\/\/--+-------|R/C2        |            |
       |    |    |    |       |____________|            |
       |    |    +----+             A3                  |
       |    |   750            450                      |
       |    +--/\/\/-----+----/\/\/---<Gnd              |
       |                 |                              |
       |             +----------------------------------+
       |             |   |                              |
       |             |   |     ____________             |
       |             |   |    |  74LS221   |            |
       |             |   |   1|   (1/2)    |16          |
       |             |   +----|A1       Vcc|----<+5v    |
       |             |       2|            |13          |
+5v>-------+------------------|B1        Q1|-           |
       |   |         |       3|            |            |
       |   |         +--------|Rst1        |            |
       |   |          .01uf 14|          __|4           |
       |   |EQ.Start +--||----|C1        Q1|------+     |
       |   |   20k   |      15|            |      |     |
       |   +--/\/\/--+--------|R/C1        |      |     |
       |        |    |        |____________|      |     |
       |        +----+              A4            |     |
       |               +--------------------------+     |
       |               |                                |
       |               |       ____________             |
       |               |      |  74LS221   |            |
       |               |     9|   (1/2)    |8           |
       |               +------|A2       Gnd|---<Gnd     |
       |                    10|            |5           |
       |           +5v>---+---|B2        Q2|-           |
       |                  | 11|            |            |
       |                  +---|Rst2        |            |
       |              1000pf 6|          __|12          |
       |     EQ.Width +--||---|C2        Q2|------+     |
       |        20k   |      7|            |      |     |
       | +5v>--/\/\/--+-------|R/C2        |      |     |
       |         |    |       |____________|      |     |
       |         +----+             A4            |     |
       |                                          |     |
       |           +------------------------------------+
       |           |                              |
       |           |    +-------------------------+
       |           |    |
       |           |    |      ____________
       |           |    |     |   74LS00   |
       |           |    |    1|            |14
       |           |    +-----|In1      Vcc|-----<+5v
       |           |         2|            |3
       |           +----------|In2     Out1|------+
       |                     7|            |      |
       |           Gnd>-------|Gnd         |      |
       |                      |____________|      |
       |                            A5            |
       |           +------------------------------+
       |           |           ____________
       |           |          |   LF1333   |
       |           |         4|            |5
       |   Gnd>---------------|Gnd       V-|-----<-12V
       |           |        16|            |12
       |           +----------|In1       V+|-----<+12v
       |           |        14|            |15     10uf    75
       |      +---------------|S1        D1|-----+--||---/\/\/----->Video Out
       |      |    |         1|            |     | +
       |      |    +----------|In2         |     |    Gnd>--------->Video Out
       |      |              3|            |2    |
       +----------------------|S2        D2|-----+
              |               |____________|
              |                     A6

   +12v>----/\/\/--<Gnd
             5k
          Blanking

SOME NOTES: You can replace some of the pots with fixed resistors if you like.
            The OFFSET pot can be replaced with a 7.85k to +12v and a 1.43k
            resistor to ground. The POSITION pot can be replaced with a 6.25k
            resistor. The WIDTH pot can be replaced with a 6.81k resistor.
            The BLANKING pot can be replaced with a 4.18k resistor to +12v
            and a 592ohm resistor to ground. I do not recommend replacing
            any of the other pots with fixed values. If you do use fixed
            resistors please skip those steps in the adjustment procedure.

TIMING DIAGRAM AND ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE:

Set up: Connect a scope up to the video input and trigger on vertical sync.
        Make sure you can still see past the Macrovision pulses.
	    The second channel will be used for looking at the device being
        adjusted. Pre-adjust all pots for center position.

1. Connect the 2nd channel on the scope up to A1-pin8.
2. Adjust GAIN for 1 volt peak to peak output.
3. Adjust OFFSET for a 1-2 volt DC offset.
4. Connect the 2nd channel on the scope up to A3-pin13.
5. Adjust POSITION so the falling edge of the signal is in the middle
   of the horiz. line just before the Macrovision pulses (see timing).
6. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A3-pin5.
7. Adjust WIDTH so the falling edge of the signal is in the middle
   of the horiz. line just after the Macrovision pulses (see timing).

                                                      Macrovision
                                                |<------------------->|
                                                ||||| ||||| ||||| |||||
          _______                   ____________|||||_|||||_|||||_|||||________
Video In   |     |_____|_____|_____|     |     |||||||||||||||||||||||||     |
          _______                   ___________________________________________
Vsync (A2-pin3)  |_________________|
                  __________________________
Q1 (A3-pin13) ___|                          |__________________________________
                                             ______________________________
Q2 (A3-pin5)  ______________________________|                              |___
__            _________________________________________________________________
Q1 (A4-pin12)                                  |     |     |     |     |
              ______________________________                                ___
Out (A5-pin3)                               |__|_____|_____|_____|_____|___|

         ________                   ___________________________________________
Video Out |      |_____|_____|_____|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |

8. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A4-pin4.
9. Adjust EQ.START so the rising edge of the signal is just after the single
   Macrovision Burst (see timing)
10. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A4-pin12.
11. Adjust EQ.WIDTH so the signal is low during the equalization pulses and
    goes high just after the color burst signal (see timing).
12. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to Video Out.
13. Adjust BLANKING level to match the rest of the videos blanking.
14. The video output should now look like Macrovision never existed.
15. Try it!

                               A Single Macrovision Burst
                          |<--------------------------------->|
                             _     _     _     _     _               _     _
                            | |   | |   | |   | |   | |             | |   | |
             _________   _  | |_  | |_  | |_  | |_  | |_______   _  | |_  | |_
Video In              |_| |_|   |_|   |_|   |_|   |_|         |_| |_|   |_|   |
Q2 (A3-pin5)___|
            __________   _   ___   ___   ___   ___   _________   _   ___   ___
Csync (A2-pin1)       |_| |_|   |_|   |_|   |_|   |_|         |_| |_|   |_|   |
__          __________                                    ____
Q1 (A4-pin4)          |__________________________________|    |________________
__          __________     ___________________________________     ____________
Q2 (A4-pin12)         |___|                                   |___|

If there is anything I forgot to mention or is unclear (I know, too late)
send me mail and I'll try to clear it up.

Mark Quattrocchi

 From: mark@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Mark Quattrocchi)
 Date: 11 Jul 88 00:05:21 GMT

  I hope I didn't miss too many questions about my macrovsion eliminator
while our news feed was down. If so please repost or send me mail. I did
receive a couple of questions and thought I'd post instead of mail. Some
people are having problems getting the National Semi LM1201, and I thought
I'd explain. The LM1201 is new and will be in production shortly (well thats
what they tell me :-)). I got mine from the first sample run. Since some
of you are trying to build this goody I figured I'd send you another version
that does not use that part. Also I modified the schematic so you can use
a single supply voltage (though you smart folks would have figured that out
anyway).  A voltage between 16-35vdc will run this, however if you use a
supply over 24vdc you will probably need to add a heat sink for the voltage
regulators.  I'd like to thank Bill McFadden for the DC restorer circuit
which I show as the LM1201 replacement (hope it works Bill :-)) and left
his article in tact by only appending the rest of the macrovision circuit
to his DC restorer.

For those who plan to make one I must warn you that I take no responsibilty
for anything (my disclaimer :-)). I can't speak for Bill but you can ask
him yourself. I hope he doesn't mind me doing this!?!?

Notes: This also eliminates time codes and close caption information.
       Sorry about the cryptic schematic but what can you do when all
       you have is ASCII to work with. If you don't see a + at an
       intersection it isn't connected.

       All voltages used on A1-A6 are supplied by the two voltage regulators
       shown at the bottom of this schematic.

Just a note: The op amp used below must be a video op amp like the RCA CA3100.

                          | |
 VIDEO IN   O------+------| |------+----------------+---------------+
                   |      | |      |                |               |
                   |               |    |\         ___              |
                   |               |    |  \       / \ (DIODE)      |
                   +----/\/\/\-----+----|-   \      |               |
                           R            |      >----+               |
                                   +----|+   /                      |
                                   |    |  /                        |
                                   |    |/                          |
                                  ___                               |
                                  ///                               |

Video  |
 In >-----+
       |  |
Video  |  |
 In >------------>Gnd
       |  |
       |  |
       |  |
       |  |                    ____________
       |  |                   |   LM1881   |
       |  |                  8|            |1
       |  |           +12v>---|Vcc    Csync|----------+
       |  |          .1uf    2|            |5         |
       |  +-----------||------|In     Burst|--        |
       |        680          6|            |3         |
       |    +--/\/\/-+--------|Rset   Vsync|------+   |
       |    |  .1uf  |       4|            |7     |   |
       |    +---||---+    +---|Gnd    Field|-     |   |
       |    |             |   |____________|      |   |
       |    |             |         A2            |   |
       |    |             |   450         750     |   |
Gnd>--------+-------------+--/\/\/---+---/\/\/----+   |
       |                             |                |
       |               +-------------+                |
       |               |                              |
       |    +-----------------------------------------+
       |    |          |
       |    |          |       ____________
       |    |          |      |  74LS221   |
       |    |          |     1|   (1/2)    |16
       |    |          +------|A1       Vcc|----<+5v
       |    |                2|            |13
       |    |      +5v>---+---|B1        Q1|------+
       |    |             |  3|            |      |
       |    |             +---|Rst1        |      |
       |    |          .1uf 14|          __|4     |
       |    |Position+--||----|C1        Q1|-     |
       |    |  10k   |      15|            |      |
+5v>----------/\/\/--+--------|R/C1        |      |
       |    |   |    |        |____________|      |
       |    |   +----+              A3            |
       |    |          +--------------------------+
       |    |          |
       |    |          |       ____________
       |    |          |      |  74LS221   |
       |    |          |     9|   (1/2)    |8
       |    |          +------|A2       Gnd|---<Gnd
       |    |               10|            |5
       |    |      +5v>---+---|B2        Q2|------------+
       |    |             | 11|            |            |
       |    |             +---|Rst2        |            |
       |    |           .1uf 6|          __|12          |
       |    |  Width  +--||---|C2        Q2|-           |
       |    |   10k   |      7|            |            |
+5v>-----------/\/\/--+-------|R/C2        |            |
       |    |    |    |       |____________|            |
       |    |    +----+             A3                  |
       |    |   750            450                      |
       |    +--/\/\/-----+----/\/\/---<Gnd              |
       |                 |                              |
       |             +----------------------------------+
       |             |   |                              |
       |             |   |     ____________             |
       |             |   |    |  74LS221   |            |
       |             |   |   1|   (1/2)    |16          |
       |             |   +----|A1       Vcc|----<+5v    |
       |             |       2|            |13          |
+5v>-------+------------------|B1        Q1|-           |
       |   |         |       3|            |            |
       |   |         +--------|Rst1        |            |
       |   |          .01uf 14|          __|4           |
       |   |EQ.Start +--||----|C1        Q1|------+     |
       |   |   20k   |      15|            |      |     |
       |   +--/\/\/--+--------|R/C1        |      |     |
       |        |    |        |____________|      |     |
       |        +----+              A4            |     |
       |               +--------------------------+     |
       |               |                                |
       |               |       ____________             |
       |               |      |  74LS221   |            |
       |               |     9|   (1/2)    |8           |
       |               +------|A2       Gnd|---<Gnd     |
       |                    10|            |5           |
       |           +5v>---+---|B2        Q2|-           |
       |                  | 11|            |            |
       |                  +---|Rst2        |            |
       |              1000pf 6|          __|12          |
       |     EQ.Width +--||---|C2        Q2|------+     |
       |        20k   |      7|            |      |     |
       | +5v>--/\/\/--+-------|R/C2        |      |     |
       |         |    |       |____________|      |     |
       |         +----+             A4            |     |
       |                                          |     |
       |           +------------------------------------+
       |           |                              |
       |           |    +-------------------------+
       |           |    |
       |           |    |      ____________
       |           |    |     |   74LS00   |
       |           |    |    1|            |14
       |           |    +-----|In1      Vcc|-----<+5v
       |           |         2|            |3
       |           +----------|In2     Out1|------+
       |                     7|            |      |
       |           Gnd>-------|Gnd         |      |
       |                      |____________|      |
       |                            A5            |
       |           +------------------------------+
       |           |           ____________
       |           |          |   LF1333   |
       |           |         4|            |5
       |   Gnd>---------------|Gnd       V-|-----<Gnd
       |           |        16|            |12
       |           +----------|In1       V+|-----<+12v
       |           |        14|            |15     10uf    75
       |      +---------------|S1        D1|-----+--||---/\/\/----->Video Out
       |      |    |         1|            |     | +
       |      |    +----------|In2         |     |    Gnd>--------->Video Out
       |      |              3|            |2    |
       +----------------------|S2        D2|-----+
              |               |____________|
              |                     A6

   +12v>----/\/\/--<Gnd
             5k
          Blanking
                                __________
                               |   7805   |
                               |   +12v   |
16-35VDC>---------+------------|In     Out|-----+-------+------>+12v
                  |            |          |     |+      |
     GND>----------------+-----|Gnd       |    ===     ===
                  |      |     |__________|     |10uf   |.01uf
                  |      |                      |       |
                  |      +----------------------+-------+------>Gnd
                  |      |      __________      |10uf   |.01uf
                  |      |     |   7805   |    ===     ===
                  |      |     |   +5v    |     |+      |
                  +------------|In     Out|-----+-------+------>+5v
                         |     |          |
                         +-----|Gnd       |
                               |__________|

SOME NOTES: You can replace some of the pots with fixed resistors if you like.
            The OFFSET pot can be replaced with a 7.85k to +12v and a 1.43k
            resistor to ground. The POSITION pot can be replaced with a 6.25k
            resistor. The WIDTH pot can be replaced with a 6.81k resistor.
            The BLANKING pot can be replaced with a 4.18k resistor to +12v
            and a 592ohm resistor to ground. I do not recommend replacing
            any of the other pots with fixed values. If you do use fixed
            resistors please skip those steps in the adjustment procedure.

TIMING DIAGRAM AND ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE:

Set up: Connect a scope up to the video input and trigger on vertical sync.
	    The second channel will be used for looking at the device being
        adjusted. Pre-adjust all pots for center position.

1. Connect the 2nd channel on the scope up to A3-pin13.
2. Adjust POSITION so the falling edge of the signal is in the middle
   of the horiz. line just before the Macrovision pulses (see timing).
3. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A3-pin5.
4. Adjust WIDTH so the falling edge of the signal is in the middle
[...]

5. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A4-pin4.
6. Adjust EQ.START so the rising edge of the signal is just after the single
   Macrovision Burst (see timing)
7. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to A4-pin12.
8. Adjust EQ.WIDTH so the signal is low during the equalization pulses and
    goes high just after the color burst signal (see timing).
9. Connect the 2nd channel of the scope up to Video Out.
10. Adjust BLANKING level to match the rest of the videos blanking.
11. The video output should now look like Macrovision never existed.
12. Try it!

                               A Single Macrovision Burst
                          |<--------------------------------->|
Q2 (A3-pin5)___|