[sci.electronics] _The Boy Electrician_

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/02/90)

francis@cs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) writes:
In article <1990Aug1.081830.15979@mlb.semi.harris.com>,
del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:

|> I seem to recall reading "The Boy Electrician" by the same author many
|> years ago.  It had lots of plans for spark coils and tesla coils, told
|> how to use X-ray tubes :-O, etc.  He also had some more recent books
|> on how to build things intercoms and audio amps (5 watts, wow!).

>This was one of the all time great books in my opinion. What a
>book!... It aslo described how to build your own primary and
>secondary cells (carbon zinc and lead acid). These were not toy
>projects, but intended as replacments for commercial products. A
>complete description of a telephone to build, motors AC and DC, morse
>code stuff. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

This is indeed a classic!  It was among the precious few technical
books in my highschool library, and was instrumental (no pun intended)
in making my career.

Here's the printing info from my copy:

     _The Boy Electrician_ by Alfred P. Morgan.  Lothrop, Lee &
     Shepherd Co.  Copyright 1913, 1929, 1940, 1948. 7th printing
     1957.

Does anyone know its history after 1957?  Is this delightful book
still available?  Was the titled changed to appease feminists? :-)

There was a companion volume, _The Boy Mechanic_, which I have never
seen.  Maybe Lindsay (*) will reprint the works of Morgan someday.

*  Lindsay Publications, Inc.
   P.O. Box 12
   Bradley, IL 60915-0012
   (815) 468-3668
   Catalog: $1.00

This company reprints many fascinating old books of mechanical,
metallurgical and electrical "lost technology."  Highly recommended!

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

In article <52920@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
> |> I seem to recall reading "The Boy Electrician" by the same author many
> |> years ago.  It had lots of plans for spark coils and tesla coils, told
> |> how to use X-ray tubes :-O, etc.

	I have a 1929 edition and the x-ray tube experiments are a classic!
As if one could today go into Radio Shack and buy an x-ray tube. :-)  The
x-ray tube was powered by a spark coil.  Needless to say, the, uh, "radiation
safety" practices in this book leave a bit to be desired.

	Another classic in the book is how to build a wireless telegraphy
installation using a spark gap transmitter.

> >This was one of the all time great books in my opinion. What a
> >book!...

	This is also one of my favorite antique books!

> This is indeed a classic!  It was among the precious few technical
> books in my highschool library, and was instrumental (no pun intended)
> in making my career.
>
>      _The Boy Electrician_ by Alfred P. Morgan.  Lothrop, Lee &
>      Shepherd Co.  Copyright 1913, 1929, 1940, 1948. 7th printing
>      1957.
>
> Does anyone know its history after 1957?  Is this delightful book
> still available?  Was the titled changed to appease feminists? :-)

	I checked "Books in Print" and it is not there.  However, there
is an entry for Alfred Morgan:

	"Adventures in Electrochemistry" 1977 ed
	"The First Book of Radio & Electronics for Boys and Girls" 1977 ed
	"The Boy's Second Book of Radio & Electronics" 1977 ed
	"First Chemistry Book for Boys and Girls" 1977 ed
	"Pet Book for Boys and Girls" 1949 ed
	"How to Use Tools" 1955 ed

	I suspect the 1977 books must have been revised by someone else
since Mr. Morgan would have been pretty old by then!

> There was a companion volume, _The Boy Mechanic_, which I have never
> seen.

	That book is also fascinating!  I have a 1952 edition that I got
as a kid (yes, I know that I have just dated myself :-) )  According
to the copyright page, it had editions in 1913, 1915, 1919, 1925, 1940,
1945 and 1952.  I wish I had an older edition, since I suspect that it
would be even more interesting.

	Here are a few topics covered in the "Boy Mechanic":

* 	"Build Your Own RELAYS"
	Describes how to build thermal relays using resistance wire which
	pulls a spring contact and allows it to close when the wire gets
	hot and elongates.  There is a complete table of resistance wire
	lengths and gauges to provide relays of varying "sensitivity".  I
	use this term rather loosely because even the most sensitive model
	consumed 25 watts!

*	"Mousetrap Supplies `Firepower' for Simple Toy Cannon"
	[quoted] "In assembling this toy cannon, which uses shells cut
	from wooden dowels, you won't have to worry about fitting a
	trigger and spring mechanism, as firepower is provided by an
	ordinary mousetrap."

*	"Colorful Cigarette Tray of Metal and Plastic"
*	"Wheelbarrow Ash Tray is Novel Addition to the Den"
	The projects are obviously before the Surgeon General established
	findings on smoking and health. :-)

*	"Keyboard Art"
	A description of what would later be known as "line printer art"
	performed by hand on an old typewriter.

*	"Quonset Hut for Your Dog"
	Lots of dog house and dog bed projects, but no mention of cats;
	so you *know* the book is old. :-)

	There is a section called "The Boy Scientist" which has various
projects and "home laboratory" suggestions like:

*	"To prevent test tubes or any other glassware from shattering
	during an experiment, coat outside of the glass with a thick
	layer of modeling clay or putty."

*	"To ignite chemicals from a safe distance, use a steel-wool
	filament wound across bared wires of a lamp cord.  Hold wires
	apart with putty."
	You won't see *that* one in a contemporary book! :-)

*	"Sure Sounds Like Bill"
	Complete plans for a manual telephone system, including how to
	*wind* the induction coil!

*	"Fun with Dry Ice"
	Some of these experiments are not exactly safe.  Like generating
	and forming solid sulfur dioxide.  Or placing dry ice and water
	in bottle to generate CO2 underf pressure.

*	"Fun with Common Gases"
	How about "flaming soap bubbles" and creating a "sun" by burning
	*phosphorous* in oxygen?

*	"It's Fun to MOUNT BIRDS"
*	"Mounting the Fish You Catch"
	Do-it-yourself after-dinner kitchen-table taxidermy.

	The "Boy Mechanic" was published by Popular Mechanics magazine,
and has no individual author or editor.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

johne@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (John Eaton) (08/02/90)

<<<<<
< Here's the printing info from my copy:
<
<      _The Boy Electrician_ by Alfred P. Morgan.  Lothrop, Lee &
<      Shepherd Co.  Copyright 1913, 1929, 1940, 1948. 7th printing
<      1957.
<
< Does anyone know its history after 1957?  Is this delightful book
< still available?  Was the titled changed to appease feminists? :-)
<
<There was a companion volume, _The Boy Mechanic_, which I have never
<seen.  Maybe Lindsay (*) will reprint the works of Morgan someday.
----------
The company published it's last book _The Boy Surgeon_ in 1958. It
explained a great deal about basic surgical techniques and even
showed how to turn ordinary kitchen utensils into effective surgical
instruments. This book is still used as a major medical reference in
many isolated third world countries despite the fact that most of the
pictures and illustrations were from ordinary household pets.

The company went bankrupt after one reader tried to remove his fathers
kidneys while he was napping and the widow filed suit.

:)

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (08/03/90)

In article <3910@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>*	"Quonset Hut for Your Dog"
>	Lots of dog house and dog bed projects, but no mention of cats;
>	so you *know* the book is old. :-)

Do you mean that there is no project titled:

	"Automatic Curiosity Dispenser for the Neighborhood Cats"

Jeff Forbes
Factotum of Od

rjk@sequent.UUCP (Robert Kelley) (08/04/90)

Everybody seems to like Morgan's books.  I'm sure they had a profound
influence on me as well.  I also seem to remember a series:

The Boy's First Book of Electronics
The Boy's Second Book of Electronics

and so on...  does anyone remember these?  Are they also by Morgan?