[sci.electronics] pulsing LEDs

murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) (08/03/90)

Years ago, somebody told me that the eye responds more if the available
energy is clumped into bursts.  This was during a discussion of
multiplexing LEDs (or LED decoders).  The idea was that multiplexing
LEDs actually increased the apparent brightness for a given average
current.

I looked around, but didn't find anything to confirm this.  Has anybody
seen any charts eye response vs duty cycle?  Any suggestions as to
where I should look?

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/04/90)

murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:

>Years ago, somebody told me that the eye responds more if the
>available energy is clumped into bursts.  This was during a
>discussion of multiplexing LEDs (or LED decoders).  The idea was that
>multiplexing LEDs actually increased the apparent brightness for a
>given average current.

>...Has anybody seen any charts eye response vs duty cycle?  Any
>suggestions as to where I should look?

See _Modern Electronics_ magazine, June and July 1990, (Forrest Mims'
monthly "Electronics Notebook" columns) for nice reference articles
about LEDs, including the new high-output types. It doesn't have the
specific info that Hal is looking for, but does discuss driving LEDs
with high-current pulses:

"...diode can be driven by current pulses having a peak amplitude of
300 mA, as long as the pulse diration does not exceed 1 millisecond
and duty cycle remains below 5 percent.  At 300 mA, the diode emits
more than 10 times the optical power it emits at 20 mA..."

--

Frank Reid     W9MKV     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

Nandu@cup.portal.com (Narendra J Kulkarni) (08/04/90)

If I remeber correctly, the persistance of vision allows eye to see the stabl
e display ( flicker free ) even if the LED is pulse driven, The advantage of
multiplexing is strictly for saving the components, actually at very high
current, more current is wasted in heat generation in the LED, most LEDs have
a linear region in which light output is proportional to drive current and by
calculating the duty cycle one can determine the peak pulse current