[sci.electronics] Image enhancer for VCRs

rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) (08/05/90)

I received a blurb from DAK about a "Blur Blaster Video
Image Enhancer" for $50 . They claim it is a device
(without description) which will enhance the detail of
videos generated by connecting between two VCRs or between
the VCR & TV. I can believe the first but doubt the second.
Has anyone had experience with such a device?

--
Richard Pavelle         UUCP: ...ll-xn!rp
                        ARPANET: rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (08/06/90)

Most of the simple image-enhancers sold for video work in that price
range are really just adjustable high-pass filters that tend to boost
the high frequencies in a TV signal, and thus tend to sharpen edges a
little.  Some also move the video around, either by fiddling the black
level or stretching the whites a little, thus giving an apparent
increase in contrast which can appear as a sharper image.

Consider that the normal parts-to-retail ratio for consumer goods is
around 3 to 5 times, so figure what can be done with $10 to $20 of
parts.  A pretty metal cabinet with shiny knobs is going to cost around
$2 to $5, even in quantity, and there's probably $1 for packaging and
printing the how-to-hook-me-up sheet, so there's not a whole lot left
over for clever circuitry.

I don't know much about the DAK unit in particular, but I sincerely
doubt that it does much more than the sharpness control on your VCR
can do.  At least Drew has a money-back guarantee if you're
disappointed.
	- Brian

tuv@pmafire.UUCP (Mark Tovey) (08/06/90)

rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) writes:

>I received a blurb from DAK about a "Blur Blaster Video
>Image Enhancer" for $50 . They claim it is a device
>(without description) which will enhance the detail of
>videos generated by connecting between two VCRs or between
>the VCR & TV. I can believe the first but doubt the second.
>Has anyone had experience with such a device?
>
>--
>Richard Pavelle         UUCP: ...ll-xn!rp
>                        ARPANET: rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU

    Radio Shack sells for about $25 a video/audio processor. I have one
and have successfully used it to make copys of video tapes when I was
unable to do so without the box. From looking at the output signal with
a scope, it appears to increase the video level without changing the sync
level. The recordings aren't always totally clean, but the device works
adequately well in a pinch.

alex.szkabarnicki@f910.n250.z1.fidonet.org (alex szkabarnicki) (08/10/90)

bb said => Most of the simple image-enhancers sold for video
bb said => work in that price
bb said => range are really just adjustable high-pass filters
Anything to improve the signal as in copying a tape does not really help
unless you spend around $3000.00 !  That unit really works and makes the
copy as good as the original. Anything less than that are really toys.
You lose 20 - 30%  for each generation you make. If the signal was digital,
no problem. I'm sure in the future , digital video will be the tops.
Alex Szkabarnicki
COUNTRY BOARD  Bradford - Newmarket

---
 * Origin:  (1:250/910)