[sci.electronics] TV tranmitter fron DAK

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (08/10/90)

I just received  my DAK catalog (Summer 90) and on the back is a produce
for transmitting television signal through the house.  This is a short
range (100 ft) transmitter which require a special receiver hooked up to
your tv.  It claims that "now you can LEGALLY broadcast through-the-air
on the just released 910-918 MHz frequencies to any TV in your home or
office."  What is this just released 910-918 frequency?  Is this
something really new?

While DAK offers many unique products, I've never found it to be of good
quality.  What I'd like to know is, does anybody know of any other
product that will do the same thing.  Is it true that these frequencies
have just been released?  If so, then I'd assume there will be other
products coming to market.  Has anybody actually tried this product?
Thanks.

Harold

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (08/11/90)

In article <228@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu writes:

> I just received  my DAK catalog (Summer 90) and on the back is a produce
> for transmitting television signal through the house.  This is a short
> range (100 ft) transmitter which require a special receiver hooked up to
> your tv.  It claims that "now you can LEGALLY broadcast through-the-air
> on the just released 910-918 MHz frequencies to any TV in your home or
> office."  What is this just released 910-918 frequency?  Is this
> something really new?

Yes, Title 47 Part 15 of the Code of Federal Regulations was revised
in spring of '89.  This is the section of FCC regulations that
covers license free transmitters, among other things (the main
one being the interference generated by personal computers).

One thing to be aware of is that there are many users of the band.

1. Government Radar
2. Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (diathermy, microwave ovens)
3. Vehicle Location Systems (Car 54, where are you)
4. Ham Radio

All of these have priority over a part 15 transmission.  All of
them can make you turn it off if you interfere with them.  All
of them can point to the fine print that says you have to accept
any interference from their transmitters.

markz@ssc.uucp

markz@ssc.uucp