[sci.electronics] assembler for 8051

langlo@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Luc Langlois 8159) (08/08/90)

	Can anyone suggest a PD cross assembler for the 8051 family of microcontrollers to use on a PC ?  Ideally, I'd like to FTP to my sparc and convert to DOS from here rather than use a modem. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks

 Luc   Langlois ,  Institut  de  Recherche  d'Hydro  Quebec
 Varennes, Que.  CANADA
 e-mail: langlo@slucl.ireq.hydro.qc.ca

langlo@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Luc Langlois 8159) (08/10/90)

	I'm still looking for an assembler for the 8051 microcontroller, but this time I've got my return address right. There must be something out there ??

 Luc   Langlois ,  Institut  de  Recherche  d'Hydro  Quebec
 Varennes, Que.  CANADA
 INTERNET langlo@ireq.hydro.qc.ca

mortenpp@ulrik.uio.no (Morten Paul Pedersen) (08/10/90)

There is a crossassembler at SIMTEL for 8051. You can find it
at PD1:[MSDOS.CROSSASM]PS51A123.ARC   - I don't know how the
performace is because I haven't used it myself. I bought one
from Avocet instead.

khan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (08/11/90)

In article <2403@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> langlo@ireq.hydro.qc.ca writes:

>	I'm still looking for an assembler for the 8051 microcontroller, but
>this time I've got my return address right. There must be something out there?

I believe Steve Ciarcia did an 8051 development system in a couple of Circuit
Cellar articles (I think it worked in conjunction with an IBM PC). Sorry, I
don't have the specifics handy, but it was within the last 5 years. Perhaps
someone in the audience can provide more info (either specific issue dates
or a correction if my recollection is incorrect).

Hope this was helpful...

P.S.: Circuit Cellar appeared in Byte magazine - this was before Steve switched
over to Circuit Cellar Inc.

--
Scott Coleman
 University of Illinois

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (08/13/90)

> Can anyone suggest a PD cross assembler for the 8051 family of
>microcontrollers to use on a PC ?

I have used a DOS XASM called "ASMI51" on my PC.  It (Oct 88 version) has its
"quirks", but it is usable.  I now use Intel's ASM51.

Quoted from the ASMI51 DOC file:

       ASMI51 is user supported software.  This means that  you may copy
       it freely  and  give the copies  away to anyone  you wish,  at no
       cost.  Bruce E. Dale, Jr. assumes no liability for any loss which
       may be incurred,  either directly  or indirectly,  as a result of
       errors or emissions in this program or its documentation.

       Comments concerning the use of this program should be sent to the
       Blue Marsh  XENIX  at 215-693-6713  (login:  guest),  the address
       below or to MCI Mail ID 324-5268.

               Bruce E. Dale, Jr.
               R. D. #1, Box 84
               Robesonia, PA    19551

Blue Marsh XENIX was up last time I called, which was a year or two ago.
ASMI51 (and ASMI48) are available for download there...

You might also want to try Intel's BBS at 1 (602) 554-8167.

Gordon S. Hlavenka                 cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer: He's lying