[sci.electronics] TV Audio problem

pmeyer@ecocd7.intel.com (Paul Meyer) (08/14/90)

In article <15619@thorin.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:
>In article <1679@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill White ) writes:
>>
>>	Oh yes, the annoying problem: the audio buzzes strongly on signals
>>with a bright white or with saturated colors.  I don't see any obvious
>>adjustments, and RF / IF electronics isn't my field of choice.  Any
>>suggestions, besides scrapping the demodulator?
>
>I think this is the classic problem of a poor or misadjusted filter in the
>audio separation part of the detector.  Since RF isn't my field either,
>I can't offer much advice ehre.

	Yes!  I have the same problem on BOTH my Sony TV's, a little 13"
and the 27XBR15.  It didn't bother me much on the 13", but when I spend
over $1000 on a TV, I expect it to work right.

	My problem: when there is an almost totally white screen (seen
mostly during bomb explosions or commercials), the audio goes
completely static for the period of the flash.  Very annoying during
war scenes.  I don't remember off hand if the screen is affected.  The
audio is what annoys me.

	Is this a Sony defect?  Both of these TV's had this problem
from the start.  I'm still nder warranty on the TV that matters, is
there anything that Sony can do to fix it?  Give me any info you can
so I can discuss it intelligently when I try to convince them to fix
it.  E-mail me and I'll summarize to the net.

** Paul Meyer (602)554-2078 ** "I remember reading somewhere that men learn **
** Intel Corp. CH3-40       ** to love the person they're attracted to and  **
** 5000 W. Chandler Blvd.   ** that women become more and more attracted to **
** Chandler, AZ 85210       ** the person that they love."                  **
** pmeyer@ecocd7.intel.com  **    Sex, Lies, and Videotape                  **