[sci.electronics] Phone hookups

grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) (08/16/90)

I would like to setup a mini phone service at my home connecting just 2 or 3
(maybe 4) phones.  What do I need to buy (radio shack) to do this.

--------                        --------
|phone |------------------------|phone |
|      |------------------------|      |
--------                        --------
|ringer|                        |ringer|
--------                        --------

MISC INFO:

	1) There will be no connections to any regular telco phone lines.
	2) The little box's above marked ringer should be small and right next
	   to the phone(s).  They should just have 1 button each and ring the
	   other phone(s) when depressed.
	3) The box's marked phone should be any phone that can be hooked upto
	   the standard (US) phone system.
	4) I understand just a little about how phones work...
	   a) I think its 50-60VAC at 20-30HZ to ring a phone
	   b) phone looks like inf resistance/reactance when on hook
	   c) phone looks like approx 680 ohms when off hook
	   d) there's a small DC voltage when off hook
	5) The dial (or push buttons) won't be used (ie just the ringer box)
	6) This will be used instead of multiple walky-talkies.

USE:
	1) One phone will be in the basment and the other 1 or two will be
	   upstairs.  I want to be able to signal (via the ringer) and talk
	   without running upstairs or shouting. Besides...its a great project.

QUESTIONS:
	1) how do I connect tip and ring from each phone
	2) what do I need between the phones to act as the phone co.
	3) what do I use for the rigner box
	4) what do I need to add if I want to hookup a third phone or forth.
	   PS in now way am I trying to compeat agianst MA-BELL.

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (08/16/90)

In article <58953@bbn.BBN.COM> grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) writes:

>	1) There will be no connections to any regular telco phone lines.
>	5) The dial (or push buttons) won't be used (ie just the ringer box)
>	6) This will be used instead of multiple walky-talkies.
>
>USE:
>	1) One phone will be in the basment and the other 1 or two will be
>	   upstairs.  I want to be able to signal (via the ringer) and talk
>	   without running upstairs or shouting. Besides...its a great project.

     Prehaps you should consider using wireless intercomms.  I would shy
   away from those that use the 49Mhz band or any other RF frequancy.  Some
   are available that simply plug into the wall and transmit the voice over
   your existing inhouse power lines.  These carrier-current intercoms are
   simple to install: unbox them and plug them into outlets - that's it, no
   wires to pull, no circuits to make, and they are reliable.

DISCLAIMER: I've never used any sort of intercom.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370        {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.