[sci.electronics] Cleaning VCR head

Keith.Gallie@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Keith Gallie) (08/18/90)

	I have been told that cassette type head cleaners are not
	a good choice for cleaning VCR heads. (by a salesman who
	didn't try to sell me anything)

	Evidently, they will clean the heads for free if you bought
	the VCR at their store.

	Question 1:

	Are cassette head cleaners really not any good?

	Question 2:

	If the salesman can clean the heads I'm sure I can. How
	do I do it?( Buy a kit a Radio Shack? )

	Question 3:

	What about the tape path? I would imagine VCRs have
	rollers and capstans similar to cassette decks?

	Thank you all in advance.

                        $
 Keith A. Gallie        $           "I get up around seven, get out of bed
 NCR MPD Fort Collins   $            around nine"
 2001 Danfield Ct       $                                          A. Rose
 Fort Collins, CO       $
 80525                  $
  All thoughts, opinions, etc., are my own. Not that anyone listens to me.

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (08/20/90)

In article <KEITH.GALLIE.90Aug18130659@hendrix.FtCollins.NCR.COM> Keith.Gallie@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Keith Gallie) writes:
>	I have been told that cassette type head cleaners are not
>	a good choice for cleaning VCR heads. (by a salesman who
>	didn't try to sell me anything)
>	Question 1:
>
>	Are cassette head cleaners really not any good?

From what I've seen, most are not very good.  The only one that I know of
that does a really good job of cleaning the heads (not capstan, pinch rollers,
etc.) is the one made by Scotch/3M.  It displays a message that says
something to the effect of "If you can read this, stop the player - heads
are clean".  This prevents over-cleaning.  I've used both the VHS and
Beta versions of this cleaner and it does a very good job of cleaning
even completely clogged heads that had been yielding no video.

>	If the salesman can clean the heads I'm sure I can. How
>	do I do it?( Buy a kit a Radio Shack? )

>	What about the tape path? I would imagine VCRs have
>	rollers and capstans similar to cassette decks?

I've cleaned everything myself a number of times.  The best tools I've
found are the long foam-tipped swabs and 90% isopropyl alcohol, aka 2-propanol
(kinda hard to find - most isopropyl alcohol in the drug stores is 70%).
I would definately suggest NOT using cotton swabs.  The cotton fibers will
get caught on the tiny video heads and cause headaches (no pun intended).

Cleaning the pinch rollers, capstans, audio and erase heads is very
much like cleaning a normal cassette or open real deck.  Cleaning the
video heads should be done with extreme care and a gentle touch.  Clean
along the running path of the heads, not across them, using very light
pressure.  You will probably need to use one swab for the video heads,
one for the audio and erase heads, and possibly quite a few for the
pinch rollers and capstans, depending on how dirty they are.  Be sure
to let everything dry thoroughly before playing a tape.  You can also
use a can of compressed air (such as Dust-Off) on the video heads to
blow out any dust and oxide particles that may have accumulated within
the drum.

Some manufacturers make cleaning solutions specifically for use on
video heads.  I haven't tried them, but then again, I've always had good
luck using isopropyl alcohol.

Someone who may have worked in a repair shop or has received manufacturers
training may be able to clue you in on some other tricks.  This method
has worked fine for me.

							--- Jeff
Jeff DePolo  N3HBZ             Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu    RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
University of Pennsylvania     Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104

In article <28626@netnews.upenn.edu> depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) writes:
>... the long foam-tipped swabs and 90% isopropyl alcohol, aka 2-propanol
>(kinda hard to find - most isopropyl alcohol in the drug stores is 70%).
>I would definately suggest NOT using cotton swabs...

A further caution:  use cleaning fluids specifically meant for head cleaning,
not whatever your drugstore sells as rubbing alcohol.  You want something
with zero, repeat zero, residue after evaporation, and generic isopropanol
usually doesn't meet that spec.
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry