[sci.electronics] IEEE488 a.k.a. GP-IB a.k.a HP-IB, references, help, query.

tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) (08/21/90)

I am going to build a microprocessor-based temperature controller.
Ideally, to fit into our current laboratory set-up it should have an
IEEE488 interface. I've been unable to find much information on how to
go about doing this. I've found data sheets for bus transceiver chips,
but is there a chip that will handle most of the protocol as well? Can
anyone guide me toward data on such a chip? Has anyone seen a tutorial
article on building an IEEE-488 device? Any references would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Sullivan  (tims@infidel.lanl.gov)

P-10 and CNLS, M.S. B258
LANL
Los Alamos, NM 87545

mvilla@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Marcelo Villacres) (08/22/90)

In article <TIMS.90Aug20214013@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
>I am going to build a microprocessor-based temperature controller<stuff deleted>
> it should have an IEEE488 interface.<stuff deleted> is there a chip that will
> handle most of the protocol as well? <stuff deleted>

Intel makes the 8291A GPIB talker/listener, for a basic system you need two 8293
bus transceivers (for the data and handshake lines), add an 8292 and you have a
GPIB controller. These chips implement the 1978 IEEE 488 standards. I suggest you
get the Intel data books, they have application notes (my old books do).

deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) (08/23/90)

In article <TIMS.90Aug20214013@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
>I am going to build a microprocessor-based temperature controller.
>Ideally, to fit into our current laboratory set-up it should have an
>IEEE488 interface. I've been unable to find much information on how to
>go about doing this. I've found data sheets for bus transceiver chips,
>but is there a chip that will handle most of the protocol as well? Can
>anyone guide me toward data on such a chip? Has anyone seen a tutorial
>article on building an IEEE-488 device? Any references would be
>greatly appreciated.

Try the Motorola 68488.  It is a 40 pin device that handels all the
IEEE-488 stuff.  All you need to add is an 8 bit (or larger) CPU
and the drivers you discussed in your post.  It fairly complex to
write a device driver for, but it does do a lot itself.

The book I learned my share of IEE488/GPIB/HPIB stuff from is called
something like _The S100 and Other (Micro Computer) Busses_.  It has a
short section of about 10 to 20 pages each on about a dozen popular busses.
The IEEE488 section is fairly informative.  The motorola spec for the
68488 (this is an 8 bit part despite its 68xxx designation) is also
informative, but it assumes some knowledge of the interface before reading.

Oh, finding the 68488 is a bit difficult, and I needed the 'B' (2 mhz) part,
so I had to get one sampled from Motorola (or buy 25 from a large supplier).

>Thanks,
You're Welcome.  I hope you find the information usefull.

-Dean Reece
-deanr@sco.com

jimc@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Jim Cathey) (08/23/90)

In article <TIMS.90Aug20214013@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
>I am going to build a microprocessor-based temperature controller...
>it should have an IEEE488 interface... is there a chip that will
>handle most of the protocol as well? ...

Mail bounced, so here goes.  Motorola makes the 68488 part for this.  It
is kind of old, I don't know if this matters.

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC-Bunker Ramo
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!isc-br!jimc (jimc@isc-br.iscs.com)
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

John_A_Pham@cup.portal.com (08/23/90)

anl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
>I am going to build a microprocessor-based temperature controller...
>it should have an IEEE488 interface... is there a chip that will
>handle most of the protocol as well? ...

NEC, SMC and TI make IEEE-488 (talker and listener controller)
The NEC chip is 8086/8080 compatible and the part is 7210 (8MHz).
SMC part number is COM7210 also running at 8MHZ,
and TI part number is 9914A (5MHz).

John