[sci.electronics] 0 dB reference: Does it mean alot?

jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) (08/24/90)

Does 0 dB mean anything across audio compnent families as far as the
signal voltage is concerned?  To try and answer this I did the following:

1. Played the CBS Test Disc (reference CD) on track 1 which is marked
1KHz 0 dB reference signal.  THis was played on my Sony CDP 520ES CD player.
I measured the signal output with a scope at the back of the player and
found it to be 2.8 volts peak to peak.

2.  Recorded the same signal with my Nakamichi 480 tape deck, after
adjusting VU meters to read 0 dB.  When played back, the signal voltage
at the back of the deck was 1.6 volts pp.

3.  Recoreded the same signal with my Mitsubishi VCR on the audio tracks,
after adjusting the VU meters to 0 dB.  When played back the signal read
0.8 volts pp.

Summarizing:

0 dB from CD:  2.8v pp.
0 dB from tape deck: 1.6v pp.
0 dB from VCR:       0.8v pp.

Is this really what one should expect?  It seems the CD player output is
too high (and it has no output level control).  Both the VCR and tape deck
VU controls had to be set very low to prevent pegging the meters.  On the
other hand, output levels from the tape media do not agree either!  When
designing a circuit to feed a stereo receiver or amp via the TAPE IN jacks,
what is a good 0 dB reference point?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim H. Christy
Hewlett-Packard, PCG
974 E. Arques Ave. MS 72UT
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

jchristy@hpspcoi.hp.com

vermilye@Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) (08/25/90)

In article <490004@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>Does 0 dB mean anything across audio compnent families as far as the
>signal voltage is concerned?  To try and answer this I did the following:
>
>1. Played the CBS Test Disc (reference CD) on track 1 which is marked
>1KHz 0 dB reference signal.  THis was played on my Sony CDP 520ES CD player.
>I measured the signal output with a scope at the back of the player and
>found it to be 2.8 volts peak to peak.
>
>2.  Recorded the same signal with my Nakamichi 480 tape deck, after
>adjusting VU meters to read 0 dB.  When played back, the signal voltage
>at the back of the deck was 1.6 volts pp.
>
>3.  Recoreded the same signal with my Mitsubishi VCR on the audio tracks,
>after adjusting the VU meters to 0 dB.  When played back the signal read
>0.8 volts pp.
>
>Is this really what one should expect?  It seems the CD player output is
>too high (and it has no output level control).  Both the VCR and tape deck
>VU controls had to be set very low to prevent pegging the meters.  On the
>other hand, output levels from the tape media do not agree either!  When
>designing a circuit to feed a stereo receiver or amp via the TAPE IN jacks,
>what is a good 0 dB reference point?
>
>Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I don't know how much help it will be, but...

0db can have many different meanings.  Professional audio generally uses the
dbm.  The m stands for a specific load (600 ohms) and a specific wattage (1mw).
This produces a reference voltage of 0.775 across the load.

To further complicate matters, the standard VU meter built into audio
equipment was designed prior to the wide use of amplified meters, so to
prevent loading of the audio signal, a series resistor of about 3.6K is
added to the meter circuit.  This causes the device's meter to read about
4 dbm too low, so that in most studios, 0db on the meter is actually +4dbm.

Many organizations use different references for 0db, so what is true for
the audio industry is often not so for the phone system, etc.

With your specific problem, most consumer equipment does not conform to
accurate output levels.  I'm sure the CD is recorded at the 0db level,
however the output of the player could be almost anything.  Most of the
time consumer equipment gives about 1v rms output across a high impedance
load (>10,000 ohms).  You might find a reference in the manual.  To check
the output of a tape recorder (audio or video) you must use a pre-recorded
tape that is carefully recorded at specific levels.  This allows the output
of the tape to be set.  This is then used as the reference for setting the
record level.  Once the recorder is correctly set up, the levels should be
consistant across the proper load.

Setting up levels is critical with professional equipment since you are
trying to get as close to saturation of the tape (without going over) as
possible.  Most consumer equipment operates well below saturation, so
exact callibration is not as important.  (by the way, setting your bias
level has an effect on all this, and is a whole nuther story!!)

>Jim H. Christy
>Hewlett-Packard, PCG
>974 E. Arques Ave. MS 72UT
>Sunnyvale, CA 94086
>
>jchristy@hpspcoi.hp.com

Jon R. Vermilye                          		         315 341 2138
Department of Theatre, Tyler Hall                  vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu
SUNY Oswego                                 ..rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!vermilye
Oswego, NY 13126                                     vermilye@snyoswva.bitnet