[sci.electronics] Help Needed: TTL<->RS232 without -12vdc

deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) (08/25/90)

Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
usually called for.  I couldn't think of any trivial way to do this,
however.  If I can't get it really simple, I'll probably just use a
MAX232 and not bother, but I've got lots of 1488/9 chips to use up,
and I prefer to save my MAX232 for 5V only projects.  Note that all
the logic uses +0 as GND and are TTL or HCT compatible devices.

Schemes I've thought of (not simple enough to replace MAX232):

Tie the 1488(xmitter) GND to +12, +/- go to +24/+0.  Feed the TTL XMIT
line to a 7407 high voltage (30v) driver.  The 7407 output is pulled up
to +24 via a 1k resistor.  This would then supply the signal to the 1488.
-or-
Connect the 1488 supplies as above.  Use an opto-isolator to shift levels.
This would work for the receiver as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions (TIA)  -deanr
| Dean Reece     Member Technical Staff |"The flames are all long gone |
| The Santa Cruz Operation 408/458-1422 | but the pain lingers on"     |
|___________deanr@sco.com_______________|___________________Pink_Floyd_|

ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (08/26/90)

In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM>, deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes...

>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
>available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
>might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
>usually called for.  I couldn't think of any trivial way to do this,

     You could use a charge-pump inverter to generate -10V or so from the
+12V supply.  This takes as little as an LM555 and some discretes.  I just
use the MAX233 (MAX232 with integrated caps) myself.  If you're really lazy,
I once saw a data sheet for a DB25 connector with the MAX232 integrated.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

touch@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Joe Touch) (08/26/90)

In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM>, deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes...

>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
>available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
>might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
>usually called for.  I couldn't think of any trivial way to do this,

How about the following...

Remember that an RS232 needs only a 6V level shift, 3V on either
side of ground (lower than -3V is a logical '1', greater than +3V
is a logical '1').

First convert the signals to CMOS levels, i.e. 0V and 5V for 0 and 1.
Then use variable voltage followers to set up a 4.5V and 9V references.
Send the 0-5V signals into a CMOS driver powered by the 9V circuit.
The output will be signals will a shift of 0-9V.

Connect the output of the CMOS driver (high current) to the RS232
data line.  Connect the signal ground of the RS232 to the 4.5 V ref.

I think this is a quick way to solve the problem, and uses only
2 cmos high-current drivers and 2 voltage references.

Joe

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (08/26/90)

In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM> deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes:

>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
>available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
>might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
>usually called for.

	Uhh... no, the third-wire ground on most machines will cause your
12V supply to burn up if you actually connect +12 to the RS-232
(or any other) grounded point.  Since you aren't starting from +5
only, the MAX232 is overkill; just make a 555 oscillator with a charge
pump rectifier like so:

         +12

       -------
      |       |     C1
      |  555  +----| |----+-----|<|-----+----   -12V output
      |       |           |             |
      --------            -             -  C2
          |               V             -
         GND              -             |
                          |            GND
                         GND

	With a frequency of 50 kHz on the '555 (I've omitted the timing
components), and C1= C2= 1uF, this should easily supply several
1488's with their negative power.

		John Whitmore

george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) (08/27/90)

In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM>, deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes...

>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
>available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
>might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
>usually called for.  I couldn't think of any trivial way to do this,

One method, which I have used successfully is to use a chip like the LT1054
(made my Linear Technology, T.I. and probably others). It is an 8 pin
minidip, add 2 caps and wire it for inversion. Feed in +12 and out comes -12
(less a small drop). It will supply up to 100ma.

In reasonable volumes, the LT1054 + 14c88 + 14c89 comes in at about the same
cost as a MAX232. The main point though is that the MAX232 does not have
enough drive (+12/-12) to transmit RS232 on long cables at high baud rate.
On a test using 1000ft of 6 wire flat telephone cable we were <9600 baud to
get reliable data transmission with the max232, but with the 14c88/14c89
combo we were up at 38400 baud. Observing the output levels on the end of
the cable using a max232 as the driver showed the signal looking very
'rounded' and not reaching +/-3V. The 14c88/14c89 though, still exceeded
+/-3V at 38400.

As an alternative to the max232 (if you need 3 tx and 3 rx) is Motorola's
recent MC145407, which has +5V only operation (with external caps). It
has sufficient drive to run itself and one MC145406 (3 tx and 3 rx). These
are CMOS parts.

regards,
--
George Scolaro
george@wombat.bungi.com                [37 20 51 N / 122 03 07 W]

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (08/27/90)

In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM>, deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes...

>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>I'm building a project that needs a standard RS232 port, but only has
>available supplies of +5, +12, and +24 volts.  I thought that I
>might be able to use the 0(GND), +12, and +24 kinda like the +/- 12v supply
>usually called for.  I couldn't think of any trivial way to do this,

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but if you just want to
talk to a single specific RS-232 device, I have had good luck using a
TTL inverter as an RS-232 driver.

I don't recommend this technnique for a commercial product (or anything
that someone besides yourself might use), but many RS-232 receivers will
accept 5 volts as logic 0 and 0 volts as a logic 1 (despite the fact that
the spec says the that the logic 1 must be more negative than -3 volts).

Again, don't sell it and dont't blame me if it doesn't work, but I have gone
up to 9600 baud over short distances without problems.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

owens@acsu.buffalo.edu (bill owens) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug26.234711.23808@cbnewsc.att.com> psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:
>In article <7574@scolex.sco.COM>, deanr@sco.COM (Dean Reece) writes...
>>
>>Hi, I need some help with RS232 drivers/receivers
>
>This may or may not be what you are looking for, but if you just want to
>talk to a single specific RS-232 device, I have had good luck using a
>TTL inverter as an RS-232 driver.
>
>I don't recommend this technnique for a commercial product (or anything
>that someone besides yourself might use)

I'm presently working on s/w for a device that uses inverters as RS-232
drivers. The technique has the additional advantage that you can output a
1 to the latch, and the inverter flips it to the 'correct' level of 0 volts.
I didn't design the thing, but it has been a successful commercial device
for 7 years...

Bill.

Bill Owens                                              owens@acsu.buffalo.edu
108 Computing Center                              uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!owens
Buffalo, NY 12460                                                 716/636-3511