[sci.electronics] Anyone had experience with Synergetics, Thatcher Arizona?

sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug24.060852.11635@comspec.uucp> daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) writes:
>Has anyone out there had experience using Synergetic's Postscript Service?

 I haven't yet ordered any of the books or used the help line, but
 Don Lancaster writes a column "Hardware Hacker" in Radio Electronics
 Magazine: occasionally the topic is PostScript, and he has also had
 2 articles on PostScript in the last couple issues of BYTE. From what
 I have seen, I would highly recommend it.

 BTW: The latest issue (Sept) of R-E has nothing on PostScript, but has
 an interesting misc. column about perpetual motion, magneto-caloric
 cooling devices, and "HOW to do research" !   If there is any-one who
 remembers the days before Apples, PC's, etc.: DL was the author of an
 early book on how to build a "TV-Typewriter" ( Now OUT OF PRINT, even
 by the author, I'm sure ) and TTL-Cookbook, CMOS-Cookbook ( In print
 by the author, who runs an "instant publishing" operation - sort of
 like the Japaneese "Just in time" mfgr. - He prints the book when he
 gets your order for it ! )

 - sdm

 Steven D. Majewski		University of Virginia Physiology Dept.
 sdm7g@Virginia.EDU		Box 449 Health Sciences Center
 (804)-982-0831			Charlottesville, VA 22908

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug24.060852.11635@comspec.uucp> daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) writes:
>Has anyone out there had experience using Synergetic's Postscript Service?

I have met Don Lancaster and talked with him at length.  He's a fine
fellow, very helpful, ethical, and concerned about scientific/
technical education.  He is a genuine guru of PostScript.

His books are classics among amateurs and professionals because they
are pure useful information with the academic BS filtered out.  My
favorite Lancaster book is _The Incredible Secret Money Machine_,
about how to run your own small enterprise.  The only thing wrong with
his books is their cheap binding (most are published by H. W. Sams).
When they begin do disintegrate, drill a line of holes along the spine
and sew the book together with copper wire, dental floss or cable-
lacing cord (like waxed dental-floss for elephants; guess I've dated
myself by mentioning it :-).

--
Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.185843.23493@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) writes:
>   If there is any-one who
> remembers the days before Apples, PC's, etc.: DL was the author of an
> early book on how to build a "TV-Typewriter" ( Now OUT OF PRINT, even
> by the author, I'm sure )

I remember it, I may even still have a copy of the schematics or the R-E
article.  It's just as well it's out of print ;-)

(I'm not denigrating DL, the TVT was one of the pioneering efforts in the
"do it in software, not hardware DUMMY!" school of controller design.
But, no, you wouldn't want to do it that way any more....)

--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (416)-294-9253
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis