[sci.electronics] DC motor noise in audio circuit

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (08/24/90)

I'm working on an audio project and have run into a nasty problem.

I'm using some cassette mechanisms with a circuit of my design in a
language learning system, and have magnetic coupling of noise to the
ground plane.

The motor is by necessity physically close to the circuit, and it is
definitely a case of magnetic coupling only (not direct conduction).
I can move the motor away to stop the noise, and it is being driven
by a supply voltage which is completely separate from the audio circuit
(there is a ground reserved only for the motors).  Problem is that there's
no way to permanently move the motor far enough away.

The motors have an integral speed control circuit, and it could be part
of the problem, too.

So how do manufacturers of portable cassette players keep this trash out
of the audio?  They don't *seem* to do anything special as regards the
motors themselves, so is there a black magic way to keep the power bus
clean?

I suspect there's no easy answer to this, in keeping with the ways of magic.

--------------------------\ /-----------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
BITNET: tindle@ukma.bitnet |  I find it most intriguing."   ---    Data,
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY |  Star Trek, The Next Generation, "Haven"
--------------------------/ \-----------------------------------------------

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (08/24/90)

<I'm using some cassette mechanisms with a circuit of my design in a
<language learning system, and have magnetic coupling of noise to the
<ground plane.

	Greetings. Hey, I'm not the only one.... :-)
<
<The motor is by necessity physically close to the circuit, and it is
<definitely a case of magnetic coupling only (not direct conduction).
<I can move the motor away to stop the noise, and it is being driven
<by a supply voltage which is completely separate from the audio circuit
<(there is a ground reserved only for the motors).  Problem is that there's
<no way to permanently move the motor far enough away.
<
<The motors have an integral speed control circuit, and it could be part
<of the problem, too.

	That depends on what type of control they use. Is it
	one of those centrifugal (sp?) ones or a transistor one?

	If it's the mechanical one, the best you can do is put
	a capacitor across the power leads. You could also
	convert it to an electronic control (if you really care :-)

	If it's an electronic control, read below.
<
<So how do manufacturers of portable cassette players keep this trash out

	Well, for one, they do keep the motor as far away
	from the pre-amp as possible. One could shield the
	pre-amp but that may not work... (well, for me...)

<of the audio?  They don't *seem* to do anything special as regards the
<motors themselves, so is there a black magic way to keep the power bus
<clean?

	Oh but the do _do_ something to the motors. Not only are
	the motors put in a metal container (with rubber vibration
	"cups" (top and bottom)) but they also wrap the motor with
	a metal "band". It provides additional shielding.

	(I'm talking about more expensive motors, not the $14.95
	cassette recorders :-)
<
<I suspect there's no easy answer to this, in keeping with the ways of magic.

	No magic - just a lot of wishfull thinking ;-)
<
<INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
<BITNET: tindle@ukma.bitnet |  I find it most intriguing."   ---    Data,
<Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY |  Star Trek, The Next Generation, "Haven"
					      ^
	Take care. (ST:TNG sucks beans! ------+)

"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 10 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz    "A man without a dream is like a fish without water."
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

In article <31302@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:
>	Greetings.

Greetings to you too.

>	Well, for one, they do keep the motor as far away
>	from the pre-amp as possible. One could shield the
>	pre-amp but that may not work... (well, for me...)

Well, when I layed out the board (which I'm now stuck with) I *did*
keep the head and mic pre-amp section away from the motor.  Now I find
that the pre-amps don't care about the motor, but a line-level op-amp
buffer circuit and the headset power amp *do.*  Not very nice.

I shielded the pre-amps to stop FM radio reception.

>	Oh but the do _do_ something to the motors. Not only are
>	the motors put in a metal container (with rubber vibration
>	"cups" (top and bottom)) but they also wrap the motor with
>	a metal "band". It provides additional shielding.

Well, that's a good description of these motors, except the "band" is
around the transistor speed regulator board inside the motor-

So why is this wonderful shielding not working?  Maybe magic can only
be made by Sharp Corp.?  Do I need to turn Japanese?

>	Take care. (ST:TNG sucks beans! ------+)

"Well, in this case, Captain, I disagree!  One hundred percent!" -
Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG, "Symbiosis".

--------------------------\ /-----------------------------------------------

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (08/25/90)

In article <15857@s.ms.uky.edu> tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) writes:
>I'm working on an audio project and have run into a nasty problem.
>
>I'm using some cassette mechanisms with a circuit of my design in a
>language learning system, and have magnetic coupling of noise to the
>ground plane.

	First, a sleeve around the motor will reduce the magnetic
emissions considerably (most hi-fi cassette motors have a couple
of deep-drawn soft steel covers that accomplish this).  Secondly,
the position of wires and the orientation of circuit boards can be changed.
It is not unusual for an audio component to go back to the manufacturer's
bench a few times before the wiring is dressed so that the stray
hum pickup meets the noise specification.
	Lastly, DON'T use a ground plane for low frequency signals (and
if you're not in the hundreds of megahertz, it's low frequency.)
Instead, try to use single-point grounding as much as possible.
The energy in the magnetic field is MAXIMALLY coupled into a low
impedance path (like a thin ground plane).  Keep any shielded
covers connected to ground at EXACTLY ONE point.  It's only at
high frequencies that wires fail to conduct and a ground plane
becomes the only way to distribute your ground.

	John Whitmore

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (08/29/90)

>The energy in the magnetic field is MAXIMALLY coupled into a low
>impedance path (like a thin ground plane).

Remember, magnetic fields don't really induce voltages in isolated bits
of paths. High impedance, low impedance, it doesn't matter. Magnetic fields
induce voltages in *loops*.

How big are those loops? How are they oriented with respect to each other?
If you've got magnetic interference problems, ask those questions.

							Jeff Winslow

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (08/31/90)

>Remember, magnetic fields don't really induce voltages in isolated bits
>of paths. High impedance, low impedance, it doesn't matter. Magnetic fields
>induce voltages in *loops*.

Minor not: magnetic fields induce *current* in loops, which then by Ohm's
law may result in potential differences ("voltage") *across* any two points
on the loop, by the resistance of the loop.

I know *you* know this, Jeff, but I get too many students who talk about
"the voltage through this resistor" and other such abominations to let it
go uncorrected.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.