[sci.electronics] Question about electrical outle

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/31/90)

/* Written 11:58 am  Aug 30, 1990 by phil@brahms.amd.com in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */
/* ---------- "Re: Question about electrical outle" ---------- */

--
>Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

In the above, "upside down" depends on your point of view. I built my
own home, and also did plumbing, heating and wiring. We have our outlets
with the ground pin on top. My wife and I experimented, and found that
it is easier to get the plug into the receptical when installed this
way.

The round ground pin is longer than the two flat neutral/hot pins,
therefore, the round pin must meet the hole first. With outlets low
near the floor, it is difficult to see the ground pin through the
plug (say X-ray vision). If the round is on top, you can easily see
it and get it started in the hole, and as long as you have the plug
in an approximate alignment, the two flat pins will then follow suit,
as there is a bevel in the receptical to these two holes.

We found it easier with the round pin on top, so that is the way I
installed all of them. If you put the round on the bottom, it is a
two step process to insert the plug. You first tilt the plug pin end
up, so you can see to align the round pin to the hole, then you raise
the cable end of the plug bringing it square to the wall to start the
other two.

Al Irwin
irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu