[sci.electronics] Stereo Amplifier Jamming

dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) (08/28/90)

I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down.

I'm assuming that the neighbor is on the same power distribution phase
as me.

Whatever you suggest will not have to pass the FCC or Underwriter's
Laboratory, so please be creative.

David Guercio

cook@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.215353.5186@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:
>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment use.

That's easy:

Call the Pakistani Cab Company and get them to dispatch
a cab to your apartment.

:-) :-)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

--
 ^   ^  Forrest Cook - Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers - LB
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.atd.ucar.edu WB0RIO (This posting is an OPINION)

dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.215353.5186@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:
>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
>grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down.
>
>I'm assuming that the neighbor is on the same power distribution phase
>as me.

  Hey, David, lemme let you in on a secret. Posting an article such as
this is an open invitation to have the daylights flamed outta you.
I'll point out in a mild manner that what you are asking for is probably
illegal and may interfere with important RF spectrum/power line users.
I'll also point out that it probably isn't practical, either.

  Enjoy the flames...

* Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
* (213) 337-5136 (ex WA6ZGB)	| mine and do not necessarily	*
* dana@locus.com		| reflect those of my employer	*

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (08/28/90)

Non-electronic possible solutions to the loud neighbors amplifier:

1) ask them to turn it down

2) ask the apartment manager to ask them to turn it down

3) ask the police to ask them to turn it down

4) turn off their circuit breakers

5) a couple of bullets through their front door

6) incendiary devices

7) move

8) suicide

The question to ask yourself is how badly do you want your peace and quiet?
	- Brian

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (08/28/90)

dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:

>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
>grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down.

>I'm assuming that the neighbor is on the same power distribution phase
>as me.

>Whatever you suggest will not have to pass the FCC or Underwriter's
>Laboratory, so please be creative.

Kinda mutually exclusive by definition :-)

One of the easist hash generators to come by is the common ordinary
universal motor as found in vacuum cleaners or or sewing machines.
Since the normal objective is to make mechanical power with the
minimum of sparking and intereference, some doctoring is called for.

Dissassemble the victim motor to the extent necessary to gain access to
the commutator and brushes.  Remove the brushes.  Cut enough of the
spring from each brush such that it only lightly touches the commutator.
Reinstall the brushes.  Power the motor up and while it is operating,
slowly drip some graphite oil onto the commutator.  One drop at a time
should do it.  Allow the surface to "dry" between drops.  When you
are finished, the motor should be making those nice loooong commutation
sparks that are typical of a partially shorted commutator.  Next, if
possible, rotate the brush assembly a few degrees to find a more
(dis) advantageous commutation angle.  The sparks should really be
flying at this point.

Inspect the motor to make sure there are no hash bypass capacitors
across the brushes or incoming leads.  Finally, fasten a couple of
feet of insulated wire to each terminal and stretch them out to form
a dipole.  Make a mount for the motor so that it can be placed
near to the offending wall.  It is best if you can operate the motor
on reduced voltage, as the above modifications will dramatically
shorten its life.  During operation, you may need to apply graphite
oil occasionally to the commutator to re-enhance the spark generator
effect.

As a final note, pray that your neighbor does not have a shot gun or
else pray that the FCC catches you before he does.  The above technique
should fall squarely under the legal definition of malicious intereference.
You might have a lot more luck with the guy taking him out and buying
him a beer and discussing a compromise.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/29/90)

dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:

>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
>grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down...

A friend says he jammed the stereo in the apartment above his, as
follows:

He wound a few turns of heavily insulated wire around the perimeter of
his living-room ceiling, and connected them in series with a spark gap
and the secondary of a neon-sign transformer.  He says a few minutes
of jamming would make the neighbors turn off their offensive loud
stereo.  Perhaps they even made expensive and fruitless trips to the
repair shop.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

jmn@cancun.berkeley.edu (Jan Mark Noworolski) (08/29/90)

In article <55577@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
>dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:
>
>>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>
>A friend says he jammed the stereo in the apartment above his, as
>follows:
>
>He wound a few turns of heavily insulated wire around the perimeter of
>his living-room ceiling, and connected them in series with a spark gap
>and the secondary of a neon-sign transformer.  He says a few minutes
>of jamming would make the neighbors turn off their offensive loud
>stereo.  Perhaps they even made expensive and fruitless trips to the
>repair shop.

If I'm not mistaken- all of the descriptions to date of a stereo jammer
rely on the offending party listening to the RADIO (since the jammer is
an RF source- ie. big sparks).

I have in my office a Jacob's ladder which makes a 5 inch arc- and it only
jams our radio reception- does not affect the amplifier at all as far as
I can tell (tapes still work fine).

I put it to you- if you jam the radio reception the offending party will
switch to cassette, LP or (worst of all!) CD (since no doubt you will be
asked to experience the high fidelity of CD sound).

It seems to me that the best way to jam the amp- is to make really bad
and nasty spikes on the power supply into it, thereby screwing up its
voltage regulators and maybe if you're lucky :-? frying the amp. Mind you
I don't have any simple ways of doing this that I can think of.

mark
ps. Before anyone asks and starts the Jacob's ladder thread again. To make a
Jacob's ladder go out to a sign shop, buy a used 15KV neon transformer
($10-20), attach appropriately shaped coat hangers to the HV terminals
(bottom gap about 1.5cm, top about 10?) and turn it on. Remember not to die
of electrocution. Interesting effects can be seen by throwing flour or non-
dairy creamer onto the gap (stand far back when you do this- the flames are
short but very big).
--
"It was very stupid of you to have gotten yourself lured into this trap"
						Big Boy (from Dick Tracy)

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (08/29/90)

Disclaimer: I've never tried this, you can kill yourself with it, and you
never heard of me if it causes you trouble.

A co-worker told me once what he did about someone who played his stereo
too loud in the room above him. He wound a bunch of lamp cord around his
room at ceiling level. One end was connected through a 100W lamp to the hot
side of the line. The other end went to a wooden-handled file, and he had
another wooden-handled file connected to the neutral side of the line. When
the music got too much, he went scratch scratch scratch with the files
rubbing against each other, and got a horrible noise you can probably
imagine to come out on the guy's speakers. "Damn, there's that intermittent
again!"

You can adapt this in obvious ways to rooms on different sides of yours.
Of course, parallel coils tend to induce better than perpendicular ones.

Don't forget the lamp or you'll add fire danger to electrocution danger.

							Jeff Winslow

In article <55577@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
>He wound a few turns of heavily insulated wire around the perimeter of
>his living-room ceiling, and connected them in series with a spark gap
>and the secondary of a neon-sign transformer...

Uh, guys, broadband jamming, which is what this is, can easily get
someone killed by interfering with emergency communications or aircraft
navigation.  It's not a good idea.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

gunderse%croc.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Eric Gundersen) (08/30/90)

>In article <55577@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
>>He wound a few turns of heavily insulated wire around the perimeter of
>>his living-room ceiling, and connected them in series with a spark gap
>>and the secondary of a neon-sign transformer...
>
>Uh, guys, broadband jamming, which is what this is, can easily get
>someone killed by interfering with emergency communications or aircraft
>navigation.  It's not a good idea.

dito. Just out of curiosity, has anyone been visited by the FCC  for this kind of
activity?

		Eric

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (08/30/90)

Go to an electronics hobbyist shop and look for an "FM wireless mike"
kit or assembled unit.  If the circuit does not have provision for tuning,
you can try spreading or compressing the turns of the small coil to change
the frequency.  If you find you need additional range, increase the length
of the antenna.

If we were talking about jamming a TV signal, three Schottky inverters
in series makes a decent transmitter.

greg@bluemtn.uucp (Greg Richter (2XS)) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug27.215353.5186@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:
>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
>grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down.
>
>I'm assuming that the neighbor is on the same power distribution phase
>as me.
>
>Whatever you suggest will not have to pass the FCC or Underwriter's
>Laboratory, so please be creative.
>
>David Guercio

Welll there captain, I would suggest the use of a simple shotgun.  Apply
liberally to the power and final amplifier stages of the stereo system.

If you really want a neato electric solution, you could do a
bunch of neat things, but it would probably fry everyone else's
stuff too, which anin't really neighborly.  Why don't you ask the
offending cretin to just turn it down ?  Or offer to kick some ass ?

Works for my apartment dwelling buddies.

- GR  :)

--
A fly can't bird but a bird can fly -    |
Ask me a question and I reply,           |

v058qj6n@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.125828.2943@hellgate.utah.edu>, gunderse%croc.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Eric Gundersen) writes...
>>In article <55577@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
>>>He wound a few turns of heavily insulated wire around the perimeter of
>>>his living-room ceiling, and connected them in series with a spark gap
>>>and the secondary of a neon-sign transformer...

>>Uh, guys, broadband jamming, which is what this is, can easily get
>>someone killed by interfering with emergency communications or aircraft
>>navigation.  It's not a good idea.

>dito. Just out of curiosity, has anyone been visited by the FCC  for this kind of
>activity?

	I hope not,as those guys don't have a sense of humour everything is
 personal with them.

****************************

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (08/31/90)

In article <33388@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
->Go to an electronics hobbyist shop and look for an "FM wireless mike"
->kit or assembled unit.  If the circuit does not have provision for tuning,
->you can try spreading or compressing the turns of the small coil to change
->the frequency.  If you find you need additional range, increase the length
->of the antenna.
->If we were talking about jamming a TV signal, three Schottky inverters

       I have an RF signal generator that can modulate at 400 Hz, 1000 Hz,
   or accept the input from a microphone or my audio generator and "broadcast"
   this on anything between 100Khz-700+Mhz.  The problem with this and the
   "wireless mike" approach is that it can take a while to find out which
    am/fm/tv station the offender is listening to.  Often it's a damned
    tape.

       Isn't 78Khz the most commonly used modulation frequancy used in
    cassette tape players ?  How effective might a transmitter be against
    these ?  Jamming these is becoming VERY tempting as a neighbor of
    mine has a car sterio that is so loud that the bass from it becomes
    annoying as soon as he turns onto our street and at that point he
    is no less than 1/4 mile away !   I'd love to fry his tape player but
    would settle for piercing his ears with a high pitched tone.

       As for the AM/FM neighbors, I don't live in an appartment anymore
    so that isn't a problem but rather than use a wireless mike or an
    RF generator I think I'd prefer modulating 455Kh or 10.7 Mhz with
    a "polite" message, referring to him/her by name.

Gordon Vickers                     {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
WANTED: 2KW wideband transmitter with directional antanna.  Operable from
   car cigarette lighter would be a plus.   :-)               (just kidding)

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.125828.2943@hellgate.utah.edu>, gunderse%croc.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Eric Gundersen) writes:
> >Uh, guys, broadband jamming, which is what this is, can easily get
> >someone killed by interfering with emergency communications or aircraft
> >navigation.  It's not a good idea.
>
> dito. Just out of curiosity, has anyone been visited by the FCC
> for this kind of activity?

A friend of a friend story.  Circa late 60's.

At a high school near the Great Lakes, they were experimenting with
a tesla coil.  One with a resonant frequency near 500 kHz.  As part
of the experiment they hooked it up to longwire antenna.

500 kHz is a marine distress frequency.  Later that day when
the FCC showed up, they said the Coast Guard had gotten a fix
in 15 seconds or so.

markz@ssc.uucp

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/31/90)

>dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) writes:
>
>I'm trying to figure out how to make an amplifier jammer, for apartment
>use.  For instance, if someone is in the next apartment and plays the
>stereo too loud, you could switch the thing on and make a horrible
>grinding noise on their amplifier until they turn it down.

On a somewhat similiar note is there any way to jam a CD player at about
100 yds.

My neighbor... blah blah blah.... (you've already heard the story :-)

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

kenny@world.std.com (Kenneth R Crudup) (09/02/90)

  gunderse%croc.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Eric Gundersen) says:
>dito (sic). Just out of curiosity, has anyone been visited by the FCC for
>this kind of activity?

We all know its broadband, but gimme a break with the life-and-death stuff.
Hell, if four or five folks in my building decide to vacuum their floors
together, not only will incoming traffic to Logan land on our heads, but
we won't even be able to call 911, joke that it is anyway.

--
Kenny Crudup, Unix Systems Consultant	nubian!kenny@ima.ima.isc.com
14 John Eliot Sq. #2B, Roxbury, MA 02119-1569	(617) 442 6585

"If you want romance, get champagne. But if you wanna score...get 'Bolt 45'!"