[sci.electronics] Open-gate TRIACs

adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) (09/12/90)

In article <1437@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>About a week ago, somebody inquired if it's OK to leave the gate of a
>TRIAC open to turn it off.
>
>I popped open an older "solid-state" relay, which is actually a reed-relay
>with the contacts in series with the gate lead of a TRIAC. So, the answer

I'm confused here.  A reed relay?  What provides the magnetic field that
operates these guys?
--
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (09/12/90)

## I(Greg Ebert) write:
##

adams@swbatl.UUCP (Tom Adams - 235-7459) writes:
#
# I'm confused here.  A reed relay?  What provides the magnetic field that
# operates these guys?

The coil is driven by a TTL-level signal, and includes a clamp diode. This
provides isolation from the AC line. One contact goes to the gate, the other
through a resistor to the anode. When the contacts close, gate current is
provided (for *both* half-cycles).

My only gripe about the relay is that it doesn't have an internal snubber
to limit dv/dt. A di/dt inductor would be handy, too. Geez, what can you
expect from Radio Snack ?

An opto-TRIAC/LED would be more elegant...