[sci.electronics] Power supply for IBM PC interfacing projects

adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) (09/12/90)

In article <15286@shlump.nac.dec.com> sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>By far the cheapest solution is to buy an XT power supply. Prices are
>below $50, if you look around, and the beast is going to supply 135 watts
>at least.

Could someone explain what a PC power supply needs connected in order to
function?  I've tried to use old PC supplies on the bench and can't seem
to get any voltages out.  PC repair books (which all seem to recommend
trashing switching PS's when they act up) suggest that there are a
monitor lines that need special treatment.
--
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab

wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (09/12/90)

adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) writes:
>Could someone explain what a PC power supply needs connected in order to
>function?  I've tried to use old PC supplies on the bench and can't seem
>to get any voltages out.

I have just such a gem here.  The trick is that on cheap imports, they
just assume that the 5v has some moby load on it.  The Taiwan clone
"200w" KPI supply I have needs a 1 ohm (25w)  load on the 5v to work
well.  Well defined as the 12v supply actually being within 10% of its
rated voltaage. ;-(

With no load the thing goes into over-voltage trip mode.  With a small
load of 1/2A, it does power up. It just has poor regulation on all
supplies.

You see it looks like there is really only one regulator in this whole
box.  They just assume that all supplies track, and you will naturely
want to draw at least 5A at +5v.  aaaaaarrrrgggg!

Anyone have a brand name for a PC supply that actually *would* put out
12v @ 3A without wasting 25watts at 5v?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    uunet!{nancy,usaos,media!ka3ovk}!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.142550.9853@wsrcc> wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) writes:

>I have just such a gem here.  The trick is that on cheap imports, they
>just assume that the 5v has some moby load on it.  The Taiwan clone
>"200w" KPI supply I have needs a 1 ohm (25w)  load on the 5v to work
>well.  Well defined as the 12v supply actually being within 10% of its
>rated voltaage. ;-(
>
>With no load the thing goes into over-voltage trip mode.  With a small
>load of 1/2A, it does power up. It just has poor regulation on all
>supplies.

Many I've seen do this in one way or another.  AT&T supplies manufacturered
by Altec have a heat-sinked resistor across the 5v supply.  However, they
will -sometimes- power up without any load, though I haven't looked at
the output on a scope.

Most IBM supplies, particularly from AT's work fine without a load.  However,
the old AT's had a heat sinked resistor between 12V+ and ground that
was used if there was no hard drive installed.  I've used an AT power
supply to power 12 volt devices (HT's, test equipment, etc.) and have
never had a problem even though I had no load on the 5V side.

By the way, BEWARE OF OLD AT SUPPLIES!  There are quie a number of them
still out there.  If you turn them off and then turn them back on quickly,
they seriously lose regulation.  I learned this the hard way, but
not before  doing it twice.  First time it cost me a hard drive controller
and an EGA card, the second time the system board  :-(  I've heard many
other horror stories to the same tune.

								--- Jeff
Jeff DePolo  N3HBZ             Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu    RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
University of Pennsylvania     Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104