[sci.electronics] Cheap card reader?

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/13/90)

It would probably be easier to handle paper tape.  Old ASR-33 teletypes
can often be picked up for about $10 at swap meets.

A more elegant solution would be a magnetic stripe reader.  You can make
a reader using a tape head and some Plexiglas or pc board material.
Crooks use homemade reader/writers to copy codes onto cards this way.
The cards cost pennies.

jvf@stc06.ornl.gov (FARMER J T) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep9.210454.15775@sdd.hp.com> paul@sdd.hp.com (Paul K Johnson) writes:
>I am looking for a very cheap way of reading, writing, and storing a
>very small amount of data.  I was thinking of using the venerable
>computer card, either the pre-punched kind where you use a paper clip to
>complete the punch, or a mark sense card.  Is anybody aware of a very
>cheap ($5 - $20) way to read either of these?
>
>paul johnson
>
>Internet: paul@sdd.hp.com
>UUCP    : {hplabs|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!paul

I have a similar need to Paul's.  I have 30 to 50 boxes of computers
cards stored that I would like to read.  What I would like to find, is
some "simple" device to read them, shove the data out a port (serial or
parallel) and let one of my computers that inhabit my basement catch the
stuff.  One approach is to find an old IBM Punch & Reader units.  Another
is to build a little LED/photosenser array that the cards would be moved
past by hand (My fingers hurts just thinking about it....).

Any suggestions?  Sources?

Reply to me or to the net if you come up with answer to both Paul's and
my projects.

	Thanks,		John Farmer

| John T. Farmer, Jr.      | Christ died, was buried, and   | I am the |
| JVF@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov   | arose on the third day.  My    |  NRA.    |
| Oak Ridge, TN            | hope is based on nothing else. |          |
| The Lab. is operated by Martin Marietta Energy Systems for the DOE   |
| Any opinions are mine.  They don't want my opinions, just my skills. |