[sci.electronics] Tubed Tesla Coils

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (09/13/90)

In article <9009052142.AA15302@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> rats@ihuxz.UUCP writes:
>I was curious what type of vaccuum-tube Tesla Coils people
>here have constructed and what type of performance they got
>from these.  Hopefully, these coils will use something a bit more powerful
>than 6L6/6V6 tubes...
>Has anyone built those early '60s TCs with the paralleled
>811s?

Oh yah!  I used two paralleled 811's in a Hartly osc.  Before the
tubes arced over in the base and vaporized the leads, we had multiple
thick heavy 14 inch sparks eminating from the tip of the coil.  Damn,
it was great!  For a supply, we were using a center tapped 7kv 1/2
Amp xfmr, with mercury vapor tubes as a full wave rectifier.  couldn't
afford filter caps though, so the sparks had a nice 120Hz humming
sizzle.

Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA