[sci.electronics] Ridiculous Impedance

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) (08/22/90)

Mini quiz:

Most coax cables have a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms or 75 ohms.

Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have a characteristic
impedance of 61.8 ohms?

I'll give a piece of wedding cake to the first person with the correct
answer.

dg9g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David Guercio) (08/23/90)

>Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have a characteristic
>impedance of 61.8 ohms?

Because if it was 0 ohms (i.e. short circuit) the signal would not cross
the ocean.

David Guercio

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (08/23/90)

>>Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have
>>a characteristic impedance of 61.8 ohms?

Because its geometry (R2/R1) and its dielectric material (Er)
[along with God and James Clerk Maxwell] dictate it.

mj
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

In article <1770009@otter.hpl.hp.com>, tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) writes:
> Most coax cables have a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms or 75 ohms.
>
> Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have a characteristic
> impedance of 61.8 ohms?

	Because it's just the way the *physical* design of the cable works
out.  The actual characteristic impedance of such a transmission line is
immaterial, provided that suitable matching is achieved in connections to
any active or passive circuitry.

	50, 75 and 93 ohm coaxial cable are merely common values that have
been standardized upon for many commercial and military applications.  They
are not "magic" numbers for any particular reason.

	Almost all "real" coaxial cables employing a polyethylene (or similar)
dielectric result in some characteristic impedance between 25 and 125 ohms.
Unless one creates a bizarre design - like 30 awg inner conductor surrounded
by 1 inch radius of dielectric :-) - any *practicable* coaxial cable will
develop a characteristic impedance in the above range.

	Bear in mind that characteristic impedance is solely determined by
series resistance, dielectric conductance (i.e,. leakage resistance),
capacitance and inductance, with the latter two being measured at a given
reference frequency.  The geometric *proportion* between inner conductor
diameter, dielectric radius and shield diameter remain within a rather
narrow range in *real* coaxial cables, hence the comparatively narrow
range of possible characteristic impedance values.

	The 61.8 ohm value is pretty much middle-of-the-road, and should
not be a surprise to anyone.  I suspect that this impedance was the result
of other design considerations, that the value was "reasonable", and that
no effort was made to make it conform to standard values.  Such "other"
design considerations probably include: DC resistance (because of series
repeater power considerations); dielectric breakdown (DC repeater power
voltage to ground is probably 3 to 5 kV); shunt capacitance at working RF
frequencies; a minimum inner conductor diameter chosen for mechanical
strength considerations; a minimum dieletric cross section chosen to
provide mechanical flexibility; etc.

> I'll give a piece of wedding cake to the first person with the correct
> answer.

	If you determine that I am the first person with the correct
answer, I will settle for a bag of Tender Vittles sent to my cats. :-)

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

corey@verdix.com (Corey Ashford) (08/23/90)

In article <1770009@otter.hpl.hp.com> tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) writes:
>Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have a characteristic
>impedance of 61.8 ohms?

It was a compromise, U.S. wanted a 50 Ohm Cable and Europe wanted 75.
So they setteled on something that was non-standard for both so
neither would get a better deal.  61.8 is about halfway inbetween
and corresponded to a cable impedance that was manufacturable with available
materials and tools.

How's that for B.S.?

- Corey "where's my cake" Ashford

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) (08/23/90)

|mark@mips.COM                                      Mark G. Johnson
|Because its geometry (R2/R1) and its dielectric material (Er)
|[along with God and James Clerk Maxwell] dictate it.

Yes, of course. So why not choose a different geometry?

(oops, this could be construed as help :-)

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (08/24/90)

Larry Lippman writes:

>50, 75 and 93 ohm coaxial cable are merely common values that have
>been standardized upon for many commercial and military applications
>They are not "magic" numbers for any particular reason.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to some things I read a few years ago, the two values 50 and
75 ohms are, in fact  "magic".

75 Ohms answers the question "For a given outer diameter, what impedance
provides the lowest attenuation per unit length"? This is good to know if
you are going to distribute video or cable TV, for example. The fact
that dipole antennas are also 75 ohms is coincidental.

50 (or 51, or 51.5) Ohms answers the question "For a given outer
diameter, what impedance cable can handle the maximum amount of power?"
The answer is really around 35 ohms, but the minimum is quite broad;
50 ohms is only fractionally poorer, and also matches vertical
quarter-wave antennas, so that's why it was chosen.

Reference: Schaum's Outline Series volume on transmission lines.
There's also some fascinating information in there on frequency dispersion
in ordinary wires at audio frequencies which should be of interest
to people who believe that such effects are non-existent in speaker
cable, for example.

BTW, I'll bet that the Trans-Atlantic cable impedance was carefully
chosen to provide an optimum set of parameters such as minimizing
loss while providing sufficient breakdown to allow the voltages
necessary to series feed the repeaters, or some such. Ma Bell doesn't work
by guess or by golly. At least one of the TA cables used about
15KV at each end...(And you think YOU have ground bounce problems.)

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) (08/24/90)

|Larry Lippman at Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, NY

| I suspect that this impedance was the result
|of other design considerations, that the value was "reasonable", and that
|no effort was made to make it conform to standard values.

Yup.

|Such "other"
|design considerations probably include: DC resistance (because of series
|repeater power considerations); dielectric breakdown (DC repeater power
|voltage to ground is probably 3 to 5 kV);

I _think_ they put +11kV on the centre conductor at one end and -11kV at the
other. The shield was, of course, grounded.

|shunt capacitance at working RF
|frequencies; a minimum inner conductor diameter chosen for mechanical
|strength considerations;

Bingo. This thing has to support it's own weight as it's dropped to
the bottom of the ocean. That's part of the answer settled. Incidentally,
the core conductor was made of steel with a thin skin of copper. Total
core diameter approx 1.25cm (hey, it's a decade since I last saw the
thing!).

|a minimum dieletric cross section chosen to
|provide mechanical flexibility; etc.
|
|If you determine that I am the first person with the correct
|answer, I will settle for a bag of Tender Vittles sent to my cats. :-)

What are they? Sounds like a drink that you attach to the back of
a steam locomotive (?!). Or some chocolate that is spread over a document
defining how much you'll charge for doing soem work.

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (08/25/90)

>	50, 75 and 93 ohm coaxial cable are merely common values that have
>been standardized upon for many commercial and military applications.  They
>are not "magic" numbers for any particular reason.

Hmmmmmm.  It always struck me as odd that certain of these numbers work very
nicely in the good ol' quarter-wave matching section formula, when dealing
with some very basic antenna types.  Remember, the formula is

                Zm = SQRT (Zload x Zline)

where Zload is the feedpoint impedance of the antenna, Zline is the char.
impedance of the feedline to which you are matching, and Zm is the impedance
of the matching section (one-quarter wave long).

Now, a simple dipole has a feedpoint impedance of around 72-73 ohms, and
- surprise! - RG-59 or any other "75 ohm" cable provides and excellent match.
A quarter-wave vertical has a feedpoint impedance half that of a dipole -
about 37 ohms - and applying the above formula says that to match it to
75-ohm line would require a 53-ohm matching section.  (And does anyone
remember when we called RG-8 fifty-TWO ohm line?)

I don't know that any of this had anything to do with the selection of
standard values - as Larry said, the characteristic impedance of any
reasonable coax is going to be about in this range.  But perhaps the selection
wasn't *completely* random.

As far as the 61.8 ohm question goes: I also note that the geometric mean of
75 and 50 is close to this number - it's 61.2 - but that's on the wrong
side of the formula, as it would be the impedance required of the matching
section, not the main line.  (In other words, a 61.2 ohm section would
match a 50 ohm load to a 75 ohm line, and vice versa.)  Does this have
anything at all to do with it?  Did somebody just happen to have a few
thousand miles of 61.8 ohm cable that they wanted to get rid of? :-)

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

In article <33145@cup.portal.com>, ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
> >50, 75 and 93 ohm coaxial cable are merely common values that have
> >been standardized upon for many commercial and military applications
> >They are not "magic" numbers for any particular reason.
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> According to some things I read a few years ago, the two values 50 and
> 75 ohms are, in fact  "magic".

	That was probably a misleading choice of words on my part, since
it requires further explanation.  However, this article should fill in a
few details.

> 75 Ohms answers the question "For a given outer diameter, what impedance
> provides the lowest attenuation per unit length"? This is good to know if
> you are going to distribute video or cable TV, for example. The fact
> that dipole antennas are also 75 ohms is coincidental.

	Actually, the answer is 77 ohms (close enough to 75 ohms, though),
but it applies *only* to a coaxial transmission line having AIR as the
dielectric (permittivity of unity).  However, polyethylene, as a typical
dielectric, has a permittivity of around 2.4.  Since characteristic
impedance of a coaxial transmission line at a permittivity of unity is
reduced by the reciprocal of the square root of permittivity, the
characteristic impedance of a coaxial cable having a polyethylene
dielectric and having minimum attenuation per unit length is much *less*
than 77 ohms.

> 50 (or 51, or 51.5) Ohms answers the question "For a given outer
> diameter, what impedance cable can handle the maximum amount of power?"
> The answer is really around 35 ohms, but the minimum is quite broad;
> 50 ohms is only fractionally poorer, and also matches vertical
> quarter-wave antennas, so that's why it was chosen.

	Maximum power transmission with an AIR dielectric is approximately
30 ohms.  The same condition for a polyethylene dielectric is obviously
less than 30 ohms.

	Maximum voltage transmission with an AIR dielectric is approximately
60 ohms.  The same condition for a polyethylene dielectric is obviously
less than 60 ohms.  For this condition, I seem to recall that the ratio
of coaxial outer diameter to inner diameter is e (2.718).

> Reference: Schaum's Outline Series volume on transmission lines.

	A word of caution on the topic of coaxial transmission line
calculations...  Many reference books present explanations, equations
and data based upon AIR as the coaxial dielectric.  Such data may not
be applicable when polyethylene or other plastic is used as the
dielectric, as is the case for common coaxial cables.

	I have learned this, The Hard Way. :-)

durham@w2xo.PGH.PA.US (Jim Durham) (08/27/90)

In article <1770009@otter.hpl.hp.com> tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) writes:
>Mini quiz:
>
>Most coax cables have a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms or 75 ohms.
>
>Why does TAT-7 (Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable number 7) have a characteristic
>impedance of 61.8 ohms?
>
>I'll give a piece of wedding cake to the first person with the correct
>answer.

Well, I dunno about why, but 61.8 ohm cable would sure be handy. A 1/4
wave section of this would match 75 to 50 ohms very nicely for those
of use with lots of 75 ohm aluminum hard line available and 50 ohm
antennas. Where can we get some?

-Jim

--
Jim Durham
internet:  durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us       ham packet radio:

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (09/12/90)

In article <4008@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	Despite the existance and use of transistors during the 1950's,
>the TAT-1 undersea repeaters all used vacuum tubes.  If memory serves me
>correctly, these vacuum tubes had flexible stranded wire leads which were
>soldered directly into the circuit - with no connectors being used.

How did they produce a vacuum tight seal with stranded leads, or were the
leads connected to some sort of solid wire feedthrough?
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

In article <1990Sep12.035908.6083@mlb.semi.harris.com>, del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:
> >	Despite the existance and use of transistors during the 1950's,
> >the TAT-1 undersea repeaters all used vacuum tubes.  If memory serves me
> >correctly, these vacuum tubes had flexible stranded wire leads which were
> >soldered directly into the circuit - with no connectors being used.
>
> How did they produce a vacuum tight seal with stranded leads, or were the
> leads connected to some sort of solid wire feedthrough?

	I believe the stranded leads were welded to solid metal posts
which actually penetrated the glass envelope.  It is my understanding that
stranded leads were used to isolate the vacuum tube, and in particular
its glass-to-metal seal area, from external stress and vibration.

	Incidentally, the glass-to-metal seal area of a vacuum tube
usually uses a glass of different composition than that of the envelope
itself.  Such glass, which is usually borosilicate in nature, is specially
formulated to match the thermal expansion characteristics of the metal
alloys used in the feedthrough.  Such metal alloys are also of special
composition, with two common tradenames being Dumet and Kovar.

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (09/13/90)

In article <4022@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <1990Sep12.035908.6083@mlb.semi.harris.com>, del@thrush.mlb.semi.ha\
rris.com (Don Lewis) writes:
>> > ... these vacuum tubes had flexible stranded wire leads which were
>> >soldered directly into the circuit - with no connectors being used.
>>
>> How did they produce a vacuum tight seal with stranded leads
>
>       I believe the stranded leads were welded to solid metal posts
>which actually penetrated the glass envelope.
>
>       Incidentally, the glass-to-metal seal area of a vacuum tube
>usually uses a glass of different composition than that of the envelope
>itself.  Such glass, which is usually borosilicate in nature, is specially
>formulated to match the thermal expansion characteristics of
> [special metal alloys] with two common tradenames being Dumet and Kovar.

        I would like to add that the thermal stresses, while minimized
by material selection, still often kill vacuum tubes.  Some
feedthroughs use a thin metal tube (instead of a rod) so that the
glass/metal interface has less resistance to expansion/contraction.
We use such feedthroughs with thermocouple wire (plugging one
end with solder), so that our thermocouple alloy remains constant
and our temperature measurements accurate across the vacuum boundary.

        By 1963, there were good quality ceramic feedthroughs (see,
for instance, Nuvistor-type vacuum tubes).  According to our
glassblower (who still custom-builds the odd tube), these are
superior to the soft-glass and hard-glass seals.  Possibly the
tubes for the transatlantic cable of 1963 weren't glass at all,
but metal with ceramic/metal feedthroughs.

	I know Nuvistors were available in 1963; were the
ceramic/metal tubes considered reliable then?

I am known for my brilliance,             John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.