[sci.electronics] Elevator Controls

cleary@husc9.harvard.edu (Kenneth Cleary) (09/13/90)

In article <21000101@m.cs.uiuc.edu> irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  4:38 pm  Sep 11, 1990 by DAVE@ORION.BITNET in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */
>>Our elevators on campus are always quite busy, and we are looking to modify
>>them with a 'remote control' to allow authorized personnel immediate access
>>to a car when nessecary.  We hope to do this by placing radio-controlled
>>switches in parallel with the inspection key switches, and certain floor

(I didn't catch the original article, but...)
You should first of all discuss this plan with whatever agency regulates
elevators in your area.  Don't be surprised if they [politely] laugh, and
tell you to take a hike.  (My only experience has been with Massachusetts
state elevator inspectors, when I wanted to find out what laws I'd need to
comply with, when thinking about building elevator microcontrollers, though
Mass. regulations are mostly just lifted from federal standards.)  I thought
it was overly bureaucratic (at first), until you start taking a serious look
at safety.

Second, assuming you get approval, just take a look at any major urban
hospital, where such a system is implemented with keys, or numeric keypads
for some code.  Systems designed to allow physicians to respond to emergencies
get abused by other physicians, to the point of making it faster to climb
15 flights of stairs, than wait for the elevator.  (You think I'm joking?)

In article <4163@husc6.harvard.edu> cleary@husc9.UUCP (Kenneth Cleary) writes:
>>>... We hope to do this by placing radio-controlled
>>>switches in parallel with the inspection key switches, and certain floor
>
>You should first of all discuss this plan with whatever agency regulates
>elevators in your area.  Don't be surprised if they [politely] laugh, and
>tell you to take a hike...

A good point.  Long odds that you are not even allowed to *look* at the
elevator circuitry without a licensed elevator repairman supervising.
("Not allowed" as in "seriously illegal; jail and a criminal record if
they catch you".)  Our local networking people, searching for a good place
to put a gateway box in one particular building, discovered an elevator
machinery room that looked ideal... until they discovered that they could
be arrested for even entering the room without a licensed repairman there.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry