[sci.electronics] Need to buy a digital meter? Get a Fluke!

zimmer@calvin.tmc.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (09/12/90)

    Speaking of DVM's, how does the one sold by Heathkit compare to the
other DVM's.  Last I checked, it was selling for about $90, and
did capacitance, hfe and frequency in addition to all of the normal
functions.  I realize that flukes are probably more accurate, but most of
the time if I'm within 5% its close enough.
    I also just played with the new DVM that Radio-Shack is selling that
has voice output.  Originally, I was just playing with it as a new gadget,
but the voice feature actually might be useful when checking circuits.
Two things that the RS DVM didn't have are an earphone jack and a logic
mode.  The first would be nice so you don't annoy other people who might
be within listening distance, and would be useful in a noisy environment.
The second mode would have been nice for trouble-shooting digital circuits.
ie if it said either 1/0 or H/L for TTL or CMOS.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep10.062945.17134@bpdsun1.uucp>, rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) writes:
: In article <4015@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
: >	While Beckman Industrial makes a decent product, I would
: >recommend that you take a deep breath and spend the extra dollars to
: >buy the Fluke.  A digital multimeter is probably your single most
: >utilized piece of electronic test apparatus, and I would not skimp
: >on such an item.
: If you are looking at the 77, you might go all the way and get an 83.
: The features are even more prolific!  I paid $170 for mine.

Do any of these devices have an RS-232 or GPIB or some kind of computer
interface available?  I'm thinking of buying one and it seems just a
waste not to be able to take the data right from the meter into the
computer.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !andromeda!galaxy!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***

In article <1987@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> : If you are looking at the 77, you might go all the way and get an 83.
> : The features are even more prolific!  I paid $170 for mine.
>
> Do any of these devices have an RS-232 or GPIB or some kind of computer
> interface available?  I'm thinking of buying one and it seems just a
> waste not to be able to take the data right from the meter into the
> computer.

	You don't want much out of a < $ 200.00 multimeter, do you? :-)

	The least expensive multimeter that I am familiar with that has
an IEEE-488 interface is the Fluke 2440, which sells for somewhat less
than $ 1,000.00.  I believe that Keithley makes one that sells for
around $ 800.00.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

dleblanc@joplin.mpr.ca (David LeBlanc) (09/15/90)

In article <1987@argus.UUCP> ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:

>Do any of these devices have an RS-232 or GPIB or some kind of computer
>interface available?  I'm thinking of buying one and it seems just a
>waste not to be able to take the data right from the meter into the
>computer.

Funny you should ask ...  We just spent the big bucks to get a Fluke 87
(nice meter by the way).  I was reading the manual that came with it and
low and behold there is a "Data Output" function which according to the
manual "enables ultrasonic data transmission".  The manual goes on to
say : (taken without permission)

" This mode is used during the manufacturing and service of your meter.
In Data Output mode, the beeper, operating at about 16 kHz, transmits
all displayed information at around 800 bps.  All other beeper functions
are disabled, and the reading rate is slowed by half."

While the 87 is quite expensive, it is feasible that the cheaper meters
make use of the same circuitry - not quite GPIB but probably usable in a
pinch.

Dave LeBlanc
dleblanc@joplin.mpr.ca