[sci.electronics] Need Al hemispheres

bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill White ) (09/14/90)

	Hello.  I am finishing up a very large van de graaff generator
(about 4' high, fed with a 10kV charge screen, hoping for up to 1MV if
I'm lucky and running in SF6).  Anyhow, I need the top sphere, which should
be in the range of 16 to 20 inches diameter (although anything bigger is
OK too).  But here's the catch -- ever try to find anyone who still knows
how to spin aluminum???
	So if anyone out there knows where I can get such items (four
hemispheres, 16 to 20 inches diameter, aluminum; thickness not terribly
vital as long as it holds its shape), please respond.  I can not use
salad bowls or other devices which are not true hemispheres.  (Incidentally,
I said four because the other two are for a particle accelerator tube).
	I'd like to keep the cost low here, if possible.

|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	MAIER'S LAW:							|
|		If the facts do not conform to theory,			|
|	 	they must be disposed of.				|

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (09/17/90)

Unless you have some special reason for using aluminum spheres, I
suggest you try to find globes (as in world map globes) of the proper
size for your use.  They have been put to such use before.

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (09/17/90)

bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill White ) writes:
>a very large van de graaff generator (about 4' high, fed with a 10kV
>charge screen, hoping for up to 1MV if I'm lucky and running in SF6).
>Anyhow, I need the top sphere, which should be in the range of 16 to 20
>inches diameter

Ever consider an aluminum foil covered styrofoam ball.  Or perhaps spray
paint the ball with a conductive paint.  Seems like it would be a fairly
simple task to build a sphere lathe (maybe a hotwire template that you
rotate the ball through.)

Then you could build an optimum shaped anode, which is more mushroom
shaped than purely spherical.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, 612-424-4888, Fax 612-424-2853