[sci.electronics] cheap solenoids

llee@rocket.uucp (Leonard Lee) (09/18/90)

Does anyone on the net know a good (i.e. cheap) source for 5 volt
push-type solenoids? I've checked with Digi-Key, Newark, and Allied
already. Len.
--

Leonard T. Lee
Lockheed-Sanders, Nashua, NH 03063

In article <LLEE.90Sep17131311@dopey.uucp>, llee@rocket.uucp (Leonard Lee) writes:
> Does anyone on the net know a good (i.e. cheap) source for 5 volt
> push-type solenoids? I've checked with Digi-Key, Newark, and Allied
> already.

	You could try American Design Components in Fairview, NJ;
Marlin P. Jones & Assoc. in Lake Park, FL; or Herbach and Rademan
in Philadelphia, PA.

	You may discover that 5 or 6 volt solenoids are not common;
far more common is 12 or 24 volts.  One reason is that the current
consumption of a 5 volt solenoid is rather steep, and obviously even
a small voltage drop is expensive in lost ampere-turns - especially
the voltage drop across a solid-state driver.

	If you have an option (depending upon your application, of
course), you should consider a higher voltage for a solenoid.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry