[sci.electronics] TWO WORD VOICE RECOGNITION

rajha@cs5.usc.edu (T.R. Rajha) (09/13/90)

	We are interested in incorporating a voice recognition
	device in a system that needs to recognize just two
	words: YES and NO. Ofcourse, the recognition mechanism
	must be speaker-independent and would be helpful if it
	can be implemented using a microprocessor with limited
	memory and processing capabilities.

	If you are familiar with any off-the-shelf product that
	is either commercially available or available for
	licensing, please send email to :

				rajha@cs5.usc.edu

	and a copy to		rajha@girtab.usc.edu

	Thank you very much.

	Rajha

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (09/13/90)

rajha@cs5.usc.edu (T.R. Rajha) writes:

>	We are interested in incorporating a voice recognition
>	device in a system that needs to recognize just two
>	words: YES and NO. Ofcourse, the recognition mechanism
>	must be speaker-independent and would be helpful if it
>	can be implemented using a microprocessor with limited
>	memory and processing capabilities.

>	If you are familiar with any off-the-shelf product that
>	is either commercially available or available for
>	licensing, please send email to :

You are in luck.  Voice Control Products, Inc, 1140 Broadway, Ny, NY 10001,
(212) 683 4684 makes exactly what you are looking for.  The device is in
the form of a 20 pin DIP.  One feeds clipped audio in, attaches some
capacitors and a crystal to other pins and gets a logical output
for "YES" and another for "NO", and another for "?" when it thinks
it sees speech but does not recognize it.  The chip consumes 40 ma at
5 volts.  They have an evaluation board available that they will
loan you for a $500 deposit (payable net 30).  The cost of the chip
ranges from $70 for one each to $1.90 in 100k quantities.

I evaluated this part in 1987 for a client and found it to work as
advertised.  I'm sure that the technology has improved in the interim.
And hopefully, the small quantity price has come down.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (09/13/90)

  Radio Shack had a voice recognition chip that recognized yes, no, and some
  directions.  I believe it sold for $12.??.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (09/17/90)

>Radio Shack sells just such a chip (!) for around $10.  I don't know their
>part number...

OK, I found it:  The Radio Shack PN is 276-1308.  "VCP200 Speaker-Independent
Word Recognizer," they call it.

The chip has two modes:

In "Command Mode" it recognizes: "go", "stop", "reverse", "turn right",
"left turn".

In "Yes-No/On-Off" mode, it recognizes those four words.

External components required:  a handful of caps and resistors, and a 10 MHz
crystal.

The outputs are simply latched logic levels for each recognized word.  You
could do a lot with this chip and _no_ processor, so a small one should do
fine.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

In article <26f43006-3fd.4sci.electronics-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) writes:
>>Radio Shack sells just such a chip (!) for around $10...
>The outputs are simply latched logic levels for each recognized word.  You
>could do a lot with this chip and _no_ processor, so a small one should do
>fine.

Beware of one thing:  almost any voice recognizer is going to be somewhat
unreliable, and that goes double for a one-chip speaker-independent system.
They make nice toys, but using them for something serious could be a mistake.
Experiment before you commit yourself.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bies@sctc.com (Marty Bies) (09/19/90)

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) writes:

>  Radio Shack had a voice recognition chip that recognized yes, no, and some
>  directions.  I believe it sold for $12.??.

>--
>%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

I just called the company in the previous posting.  He informed me that
the chip Radio Shack sells is theirs.  Sounds like something fun to play
with.

Marty B
bies@sctc.com