[sci.electronics] Buzzing fluorescent lights

rick@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Rick Wilson) (09/14/90)

Our dream house is nearly complete - we move in next week.
But the buzz from the fluorescent lights (we used a lot of them)
sounds like the house is a model airplane taking off.
We *have* to fix it.

I isolated all the ballasts from the fixtures so the fixtures aren't
vibrating, but that only reduced the noise by less than a dB, if at all.
The buzz is coming from inside the ballasts.

Is there anything I can do to improve it?
Is there a company with enough pride to make ballasts vacuum-potted
(or whatever) well enough that they don't buzz?
These mass-produced consumer ballasts are for the birds,
and sound like the bees.

Rick Wilson
rick@tekfdi.TEK.COM.UUCP

--

                Rick Wilson
		rick@tekfdi.TEK.COM

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (09/17/90)

On <Sep 13 22:37> Rick Wilson writes:

 RW> The buzz is coming from inside the ballasts.

Replace the coil ballasts with modern electronic ballasts.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (09/20/90)

In article <1155.26F41B5A@ofa123.fidonet.org> rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
>On <Sep 13 22:37> Rick Wilson writes:
>
> RW> The buzz is coming from inside the ballasts.
>
>Replace the coil ballasts with modern electronic ballasts.
>

>--
>Rick Ellis
>Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

Yea, then you'll get buzz through the AC line.  Make sure the electronic
ballast is of high quality.  Also if you have radio receivers near by,
these devices can cause lots interference.

Harold

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT