[sci.electronics] 32K by 8 FIFO

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (09/14/90)

Does anyone know of the existence of 32K by FIFO ?
If so could you tell me how much it costs ?

If the cost is two high I may consider making one myself.
The main components that I think I would need are:

1     32K by 8 static RAM
2     15 bit up/down counters (one for FIFO head, one for tail)
1     15 bit comparator to check that head and tail don't collide.

If anyone has any any comments on building FIFO's I would like to hear them.

Thanks,

Henry Bruce.

PS I am an active UNIX and net user that does a lot of work with the 8051
   microcontroller family. However there does not appear to be an appropriate
   newsgroup. Any one interested in setting up comp.sys.8051 ????

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (09/15/90)

In article <6334@castle.ed.ac.uk>, elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
> Does anyone know of the existence of 32K by FIFO ?
> If so could you tell me how much it costs ?

So far as I am aware, the largest device released to date is a 7208
(8k x 9), and that's only in low volume (read : I can't get them)
I'm quoted prices around 80 pounds, so if there's a bigger one out,
it'll cost you *both* arms & a leg!
Also note, I'm often offered good prices on chips which are unobtainable....

They _are_ much nicer to work with than all those counters though :-)

Dave.

ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (09/15/90)

In article <6334@castle.ed.ac.uk>, elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes...
>Does anyone know of the existence of 32K by FIFO ?
>If so could you tell me how much it costs ?
>
>If the cost is two high I may consider making one myself.
>The main components that I think I would need are:
>
>1     32K by 8 static RAM
>2     15 bit up/down counters (one for FIFO head, one for tail)
>1     15 bit comparator to check that head and tail don't collide.
>
>If anyone has any any comments on building FIFO's I would like to hear them.

     The biggest FIFO I have seen data for is the IDT7M206 at 16K by 9.  It
is a multichip module and will cost big $$$.  You could do the same thing
yourself with the common .5/1/2/4... K monolithic FIFO's, which have a depth
expansion mechanism.  (IDT is Integrated Device Technology, 408-727-6116).

>Thanks,
>
>Henry Bruce.
>

>PS I am an active UNIX and net user that does a lot of work with the 8051
>   microcontroller family. However there does not appear to be an appropriate
>   newsgroup. Any one interested in setting up comp.sys.8051 ????

     Yes.  I work with various sorts of 51 parts and play with the DS5000
from Dallas Semiconductor.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (09/17/90)

> In article <6334@castle.ed.ac.uk>, elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes...
> >Does anyone know of the existence of 32K by FIFO ?
> >If so could you tell me how much it costs ?
> >
> >If the cost is two high I may consider making one myself.
> >The main components that I think I would need are:

Signetics makes/made a FIFO controller chip.

markz@ssc.uucp

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (09/17/90)

>PS I am an active UNIX and net user that does a lot of work with the 8051
>   microcontroller family. However there does not appear to be an appropriate
>   newsgroup. Any one interested in setting up comp.sys.8051 ????

I would vote for that one!  Then I'd have to talk the sysadmin into
capturing it here...

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (09/17/90)

In <6334@castle.ed.ac.uk> elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:

>Does anyone know of the existence of 32K by FIFO ?
>If so could you tell me how much it costs ?

>If the cost is two high I may consider making one myself.
>The main components that I think I would need are:

>1     32K by 8 static RAM
>2     15 bit up/down counters (one for FIFO head, one for tail)
>1     15 bit comparator to check that head and tail don't collide.

>If anyone has any any comments on building FIFO's I would like to hear them.

I have a comment:
There is a chip made (at least) by TI (Texas Instruments) that is a FIFO
Controller. You add Your memory and voila! I recall that it can manage
up to 64KB, but I don't have the manual at hand.

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (09/18/90)

Adaptec makes "circular buffer controller" chips
that, combined with RAM, might serve your purpose.
AIC-300 is the part number of one such chip.

steve pope

bkoball@cup.portal.com (Bruce R Koball) (09/18/90)

re: elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce)'s request for large FIFOs....
check out the Texas Instruments TMS4C1050 1Mbit Pseudo-Static FIFO...
uses DRAM type storage cell w/on-chip refresh...256K X 4 organization...
also has built in arbitration allowing full word, continuous, async
read/write....comes in 50, 30, 25ns access times....one word of caution
I haven't used the part myself and the data sheet in the TI 1989 MOS
Memory Data Book shows it marked as ADVANCE INFO on new products, but
with full timing specs...check with TI
Bruce Koball
Motion West
2210 Sixth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
415-540-7503
bkoball@cup.portal.com

john@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (John Perkins) (09/20/90)

In article <26f43273-406.1sci.electronics-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) writes:

>>PS I am an active UNIX and net user that does a lot of work with the 8051
>>   microcontroller family. However there does not appear to be an appropriate
>>   newsgroup. Any one interested in setting up comp.sys.8051 ????
>
>I would vote for that one!  Then I'd have to talk the sysadmin into
>capturing it here...

yes_votes++ ;

Sorry, I mean:
    mov   dptr,#yes_votes