[sci.electronics] photoetch question

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (09/18/90)

It's been a while since I etched a board.  Now, I think I want to do a
Radio Electronics project.  They supply the pattern in the magazine.
It's too intricate to just lay down transfers on copperclad and I
don't want to spend the time and money to buy the board outright.  I
assume the best way is to photoetch.

So my question is: What's the best way to photoetch a board assuming
you etch boards on a limited basis and you only have access to
basement materials/facilities?

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

francis@cs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) (09/19/90)

In article <12692@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:

|> It's been a while since I etched a board.  Now, I think I want to do a
|> Radio Electronics project.  They supply the pattern in the magazine.
|> It's too intricate to just lay down transfers on copperclad and I
|> don't want to spend the time and money to buy the board outright.  I
|> assume the best way is to photoetch.

|> So my question is: What's the best way to photoetch a board assuming
|> you etch boards on a limited basis and you only have access to
|> basement materials/facilities?

I have had good success with UV sensitive resist and a photolith of
the PC pattern. I used to use a spray on resist that would develop in
a weak Sodium Hydroxide solution. I have been told that this is no longer
available due to a carcinogen scare. Pre-coated boards are generally
available and don't seem too pricey. Need special developer.
Here at Adelaide Uni the students association does a lot of printing
(leaflets, whats on sheets etc) and have an in house process camera.
They are happy to make a photolith film at essentially cost price. You
may be able to find someone on your campus to do the same. The lith
is the most costly part of the excercise. They can do either positive
or negative depending on the needs of your resist process. Commercial
printing places charge lots for this service.

I built a simple vacuum board (a thin flat box with grooves on the top
and holes in the grooves that penetrate into the box, and a hole in the
bottom of the box to connect to a vacuum cleaner, a few minutes work
if you have a router, a bit longer if you have to carve the grooves
(about 1/8" wide and high)) onto which I place the coated board and then
the artwork and then some cling-wrap. Start the vacuum and the whole lot
goes very solid. Expose. I expose in the sun, (about 3 minutes in bright
sunlight) or you can buy an appropriate lamp. If you try the sun you
should do a few trail runs to get the exposure right for your combination
of chemicals and weather. The results I have had have been consistently
better than bought boards. It only remains to drill the board. (Get
a tungsten carbide drill bit.)

Hope this is of some help.

							Francis Vaughan.

tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk (Trevor Peacock) (09/21/90)

francis@cs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) writes:

>I built a simple vacuum board (a thin flat box with grooves on the top
>and holes in the grooves that penetrate into the box, and a hole in the
>bottom of the box to connect to a vacuum cleaner, a few minutes work
>if you have a router, a bit longer if you have to carve the grooves
>(about 1/8" wide and high)) onto which I place the coated board and then
>the artwork and then some cling-wrap. Start the vacuum and the whole lot
>goes very solid. Expose. I expose in the sun, (about 3 minutes in bright
>sunlight) or you can buy an appropriate lamp. If you try the sun you
>should do a few trail runs to get the exposure right for your combination
>of chemicals and weather. The results I have had have been consistently
>better than bought boards. It only remains to drill the board. (Get
>a tungsten carbide drill bit.)
>
>Hope this is of some help.
>
>							Francis Vaughan.

I saw a very cheap alternative for this in a magazine some years ago. Basically
what you need is one of those zip up plastic bags, (big enough to hold the pcb)
a piece of foam rubber and another board about the same size as the pcb.

The foam is sandwiched between the pcb (light sensitive face outwards) and the
other board. The layout sheet is placed on top of the pcb and the whole lot put
in the bag. Squash the bag to expel most of the air and zip it up - the layout
should stay in place for long enough to expose the pcb.

Cheers, Trev..

Trevor Peacock,		 | Tel : 071 589 5111 X 5052 | JANET : tmp@uk.ac.ic.doc
Department of Computing, | DARPA : tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk
Imperial College,        \ or      tmp%uk.ac.ic.doc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk