[sci.electronics] Voltage Controlled Xtal Oscillator

geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) (09/25/90)

I want to build a 60 MHz VCXO.
Can I simply replace the capacitor on a MC1658 VCO with a capacitor
and crystal in series  (as shown below)?
                                              _
                                             | |
                             | |           | | | |
                         ----| |-----------| | | |---
			|    | |           | | | |   |
			|                    | |     |
			|                     -      |
			|                            |
			|                            |
			|                            |
			|                            |
	       |        Cx                           Cx       |
	       |                                              |
	       |                                              |
	       |              Motorola MC1658                 |
	       |              Plessey SP1658                  |
	       |                                              |
	       |                                              |
	       |                                              |

If this would work, why?                    Any better ideas?

--
Geoff Bull (Senior Engineer)	Phone  : (+61 48) 68 3490
Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.	Fax    : (+61 48) 68 3474

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (09/25/90)

In article <935@hls0.hls.oz> geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) writes:

>I want to build a 60 MHz VCXO.
>Can I simply replace the capacitor on a MC1658 VCO with a capacitor
>and crystal in series?

        Not really.  The 1658 is a multivibrator, and few (if any)
crystals will operate reliably with all the frequencies that it'll
be generating (it MIGHT work if you put a series LC in, to limit the
out-of-band power).  Usually, one uses a damped crystal (put a resistor
across it if you have to), with a simple oscillator like

  +-------------+
  |             |
  |            /
  +--|O|--+---|    NPN transistor
 GND     GND   GND

	Resistors omitted to confuse the neophytes.

(I hope the ASCII graphics isn't too terrible).  Tuning would be by using
a varactor diode/capacitor combination for one of the two capacitors.
As nearly as I can remember, some crystals come specified for VCO
operation (usually very narrow band).

                        John Whitmore