[sci.electronics] Good surplus and techie stores in Silicon Valley??

philb@techbook.com (Phil Bihl) (09/18/90)

	I'm headed to San Jose later this month and I'd like to check
	out surplus electronics places. You know the technowhizze neato
	type places. I know about Fry's (not surplus, I know) but I'd
	like to know if there are any other similar places worth checking
	out on a free weekend.

	Thanks!
	Phil

--
philb@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!philb
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

conger@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Edward Conger) (09/20/90)

/ hpcupt1:sci.electronics / philb@techbook.com (Phil Bihl) /  7:50 pm  Sep 17, 1990 /

>>	I'm headed to San Jose later this month and I'd like to check
>>	out surplus electronics places.
I'd reccommend Halted Specialities Co. (HSC).  They are located at the
corner of Central Expressway and Lawrence Expressway (you know, if it has more
than two lanes, we call dem expressways). Approach on southbound central, cross
over lawrence and immediately turn right. Approach on eastbound lawrence, and
turn right immediately before crossing under central.

Halted has quite a variety of *interesing* surplus -not too much of which is
junk.  There are an occasional zinger or two... I'm not sure if they still have
them, but a while ago, they were selling the IR tracking heads off of AIM-9B
sidewinders (mid 50's technology, but...).  Those could be interesting - if only
as a hi-tech paperweight!

There is another company, Haltek; I believe they folded and were recently
reborn - they may be in the same location as before - which I forget.  Anyone
out there help me (and Phil) out?

>>	You know the technowhizze neato type places.
Yup, deez is dems.

>>	Thanks!
>>	Phil

You got it....

-Ed Conger
conger@hpwsst.cup.hp.com

liang@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Alf Liang) (09/25/90)

/ hpindda:sci.electronics / conger@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Edward Conger) /  1:56 pm  Sep 19, 1990 /
/ hpcupt1:sci.electronics / philb@techbook.com (Phil Bihl) /  7:50 pm  Sep 17, 1990 /

>>	I'm headed to San Jose later this month and I'd like to check
>>	out surplus electronics places.

>There is another company, Haltek; I believe they folded and were recently
>reborn - they may be in the same location as before - which I forget.  Anyone
>out there help me (and Phil) out?

Haltek is located in Mountain View, on Linda Vista Dr (cross street is
Middlefield Road).  It is one of the largest surplus store in the area.

Another possible place to visit is the ACE store on Keifer (?) off Lawrence
Express Way in Sunnyvale.  It is one of the friendliest.

Alf Liang
liang@hpinddm.hp.com

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (09/26/90)

In article <3230003@hpindda.cup.hp.com> liang@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Alf Liang) writes:
>Another possible place to visit is the ACE store on Keifer (?) off Lawrence
>Express Way in Sunnyvale.  It is one of the friendliest.

     Kifer.  Easy to get to :

       Lawerance Expressway                   Great American Parkway
             |                101                     |
     S.F. <============================================================> S.J.
           --o-----
             | McDonnalds

    Arques---o---

       ----------Central Expressway ---------------------------------------

             |  #  |      A  |      <- "A" for ACE Electronics
                #
                R/R

  I haven't done much buisness there myself, but they are freindly and maybe
   worth checking out.  Hope this helps.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370        {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.