[sci.electronics] DUAL PORT MEMORY

dwoodwar@undeed.UUCP (Duncan S Woodward) (09/18/90)

Hello,

Does anybody out there know of a reliable source / manufacturer of dual port
memory? I am looking for a device(s) that can implement a dual port memory
with at least 16 words (a word being 16 bits). The device(s) must contain the
complete arbitration logic to resolve simultaneous access to the same address
location, as well as logic to implement a semaphore system between either
side of the device(s) (ie writing to a specific location on PORT 1 will
generate an interrupt signal on PORT 2 and visa versa). I have looked at
various devices from Advanced Micro Devices (AM2130 [master] & AM2140
[slave]), and these are exactly what I want, however AMD have discontinued
the AM2140 which is required to build bus widths greater than 8 bits.

Does anyone know of other devices that could be used instead and who supplies
them?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Duncan Woodward
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Natal
Durban 4001
South Africa.
TEL / FAX. + 27 31 2617200

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (09/21/90)

>In article <1139@undeed.UUCP> dwoodwar@undeed.UUCP (Duncan S Woodward) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Does anybody out there know of a reliable source / manufacturer of dual port
>memory? I am looking for a device(s) that can implement a dual port memory
>with at least 16 words (a word being 16 bits). The device(s) must contain the

Integrated Device Technologies
3236 Scott Boulevard
Santa Clara, CA  95054-3090
(408) 727-6116  - FAX (408) 727-3468

Makes a line of dual port rams incuding semaphores and/or interrupts
with complete handshaking/hold-off arbitration logic.  All the parts are
8 bits wide, but most of them come in pairs with both master and slave
parts available for building 16, 24, 32, ...  bit dual port systems.
(These are fully static CMOS parts with read, write and chip select logic
much the same as say a 6264 or a 43256.)

---
|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

kthompso@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Ken Thompson) (09/26/90)

With a couple external gates one can use a 2130 as a slave. I have done it.
But NCR says I cannot deal with South Africa.  Ask AMD.

--
Ken Thompson     N0ITL
NCR Corp.  3718 N. Rock Road

kthompso@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Ken Thompson) (09/26/90)

We had nothing but grief with the IDT parts!