[sci.electronics] 3 Foot Satellite Dishes

graham@sequoia.execu.com (Graham Finney) (09/26/90)

	I would like to know if anyone has had experience with the 'new'
satellite dishes that are available.  These 3' dishes operate on the KU band
(10' dishes operate on the C band).  Does the KU band provide enough channel
selction to offer a variety of TV programming (soaps, sports, movies, etc), or
is it a more specialized offering - i.e. news only.  Do you have names and
phone numbers of distributors/retailers of these systems?  Are descramblers
needed and available?

	Apparently these smaller dishes are popular in Britain, and are new to
North America.  They are supposed to be ideal for apartments, RV's, truckers,
and houses.  Any comments?  I also understand they are significantly cheaper
than the larger dishes (<$2000 vs >$4000).

	BTW, is there a more appropriate news group to discuss satellite dishes?

 Graham Finney      {cs.utexas.edu | uunet}!execu!graham     EXECUCOM CANADA
     416/481-4291      1 800 387-8851                        Toronto, Ontario

frank@ut-emx.uucp (Frank Abernathy) (09/26/90)

In article <24851@sequoia.execu.com>, graham@sequoia.execu.com (Graham Finney) writes:

> 	I would like to know if anyone has had experience with the 'new'
> satellite dishes that are available.  These 3' dishes operate on the KU band

Sorry, I don't have mmuch experience with KU stuff at all, but the listings
I've seen indicate that it is primarily Network feeds, news, some sports,
some corporate uses (Domino's Pizza, Creek Nation Bingo, etc.), educational
and of course TV Ontario on satellite Anik C1 Transponder 20.  :^)

> 	Apparently these smaller dishes are popular in Britain, and are new to
                                                     ** and Japan **
> North America.  They are supposed to be ideal for apartments, RV's, truckers,
> and houses.  Any comments?  I also understand they are significantly cheaper
> than the larger dishes (<$2000 vs >$4000).

                          ?????? I don't know where you got your pricing,
but if you call Skyvision, at 1-218-739-5231, you'll find that COMPLETE,
NAME BRAND systems (with VCII+ descrambler) from them are in the range of
$1474 to $2714 for a 'C' band system; add, on the average, about $230 to
add 'KU' band capability to most of those systems.

I have nothing to do with Skyvision, but after watching several of the
Satellite sales shows on the satellites, their prices have BEAT EVERYONE's
so far.  I'll probably buy a system from them when I come up with the cash.
(unless, of course, I find someone else much cheaper :^)

My interests are in foreign language programming found on S2-16 and F4-20,
which are currently 'in the clear'.

My apologies to the net for being so wordy....  but I thought there might
be others who get floored by the HIGH prices your local Satellite Dealer
is graciously willing to charge you.

I thought this pricing would be of interest to folks who are
willing to do the install themselves; IT IS NOT HARD..(even to do it right)

frank

> 	BTW, is there a more appropriate news group to discuss satellite dishes?

I don't know, I'd be interested in knowing too if there is.

--
Frank Abernathy, University of Texas at Austin, frank@ut-emx.utexas.edu
Work: (512)-471-3216      Home: (512)-244-0625 (ans. mach always on...)