[sci.electronics] Mystery SK9426 chip info needed

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (09/27/90)

Okay here's one for all you audio repair hackers out there.
I inherited an old solid-state stereo receiver the other day
which contains some dead audio preamp chips labeled SK9426.
I can't find them in the IC Master so I assume they are somewhat
rare/obsolete.  Anybody ever heard of such a chip?  Mucho thanks.

-Charlie Thompson

cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!radio!charlie

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (09/27/90)

In article <3903@radio.oakhill.UUCP> charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:
>Okay here's one for all you audio repair hackers out there.
>I inherited an old solid-state stereo receiver the other day
>which contains some dead audio preamp chips labeled SK9426.
>I can't find them in the IC Master so I assume they are somewhat
>rare/obsolete.  Anybody ever heard of such a chip?  Mucho thanks.

I rarely answer questions that start as illiterately as 'Okay' but....

The reason you didn't find the SK9426 in the IC master is that it's not
an IC.  It's a matched dual PNP transistor with common emitter leads,
intended for use in differential-amplifier circuits.

An NTE-43 is one substitute; check with your local tv repair parts shop
to see if they have some.

A note of caution: the SK series is/was RCA's "universal replacement"
line of parts, just as the NTE parts are.  Those parts were rarely used
in new production (unless it's a homebrew) so you have to consider:

1) the unit you've got has probably been fried and worked on before

2) you're trying to find a substitute for a substitute, so there's no
guarantee that the third-hand part is going to work at all well.

Enjoy.
	- Brian

os9john@gkcl.ists.ca (John Beveridge) (09/27/90)

Try the RCA substitution book.  I believe SK is RCA.

.....jb

  I claim full responsibilty | What goes around, comes around.
                            -*-
      - os9john@gkcl.ists.ca - ists!gkcl.ists.ca!os9john -