[sci.electronics] UPS's, printers & fried equipment

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (09/26/90)

My esteemed employer is planning on adding a bunch of 286 machines
to an existing UPS system. The problem is, that because of the
limited capacity of the UPS, they want to run ONLY the PC's off
of it, and will run the laser printers off of the unregulated,
un-isolated ground, unprotected power.

I'm of the opinion that the first T-storm (if not sooner!) will blow up
lots of boxes with this scheme, (the runs in question are long --
hundreds of feet) both from (line) induced voltage differences and
ground loop problems. But the folks above, non-technocritters, don't
believe me.

Can anyone on the net *CITE SOURCES* I can use to strengthen my case?
This could, for example, include a Tech Note from HP's Laserjet
division, or such, or a section of the NEC. Note *I* don't need
hearsay, I need published tomes to carry in.
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (09/27/90)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>My esteemed employer is planning on adding a bunch of 286 machines
>to an existing UPS system. The problem is, that because of the
>limited capacity of the UPS, they want to run ONLY the PC's off
>of it, and will run the laser printers off of the unregulated,
>un-isolated ground, unprotected power.

I'm sure the UPS manufacturer would be pleased to cite papers or
perhaps whip one up for you.

I have pondered the same thing here and am toying with the idea of
running everything through the UPS, but have a cut-out relay for the
fluff when the power fails.  This way one gets the filtering from the
UPS and but doesn't melt down the inverter, or run down the UPS
battery by running laser printers and other power hogs.  One also
eliminates you problem of large ground-loops for the data connections.
You probably still have to play it close on the UPS rating though.

-wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    uunet!{nancy,usaos,media!ka3ovk}!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524