[sci.electronics] Old RGB Monitor Used With VGA Adapter?

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (09/23/90)

I have an old style high res color monitor with individual
BNC connectors for R, G, B, V-Sync and H-Sync.  It has
enough adjustability in sync rate to handle a 1024x768
VGA board.  The manuals for these boards say next to
nothing about their output signals.  The monitor can
accept 75 Ohm or high impedance sources.  Has anyone
successfully adapted a VGA board to this type of monitor,
or failing that, can point me to data on the VGA board
outputs?  Thanks in advance!
--
Seth J. Bradley   Path: {uunet}!iwarp.intel.com!dalek!sjb

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (09/23/90)

In article <101@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>I have an old style high res color monitor with individual
>BNC connectors for R, G, B, V-Sync and H-Sync.  It has
>enough adjustability in sync rate to handle a 1024x768
>VGA board.  The manuals ...

It is my understanding that the IBM vga cards can NOT be setup to
work with a TTL monitor.  Further I assume that this monitor is a old
style TTL.  If it is (or can be analog then this is even simplier).
All the clone vga cards I have used do have a setup mode or switch for
use with TTL monitors.  Generally with this option is a setup for lower
res monitors than the max of the card.  Simply, set the card up for
ttl output, and make a cable for the monitor.  It should work just fine,
else you can try it to see if the monitor has a analog mode.  With a ttl
monitor on a analog ouput, you probably will get a picture but the color
mapping will be history and terribly unstable, basically unusable.

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

keating@motcid.UUCP (Edward Keating) (09/25/90)

In article <101@dalek.UUCP>, sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
> I have an old style high res color monitor with individual
> BNC connectors for R, G, B, V-Sync and H-Sync.  It has
> enough adjustability in sync rate to handle a 1024x768
> VGA board.

Get the current copy of Circuit Celler Inc. (Nov/Dec? issue)
There is a application where a PGA with an interface similar to what you've
described hooked into a VGA. The author even designed switches into the
plan to handle the inverted sync pulses that a VGA uses to communicate with
a multiscan monitor.
--
Ed Keating, Motorola C.I.D, 			1501 W. Shure Drive
uunet!motcid!keating			Arlington Heights, Il 60004

If they revoke the right to assemble, then we can only compile, right?

keating@motcid.UUCP (Edward Keating) (09/28/90)

To all that asked, here is the address of Circuit Celler.

Circuit Celler Inc.
P.O. Box 3050-C
Southeastern PA, 19398-9933

(215) - 630-1914 (subscription department)

If you're into circuit design or general experimentation try this
magazine out. If you miss the articles that Steve Ciarcia had written
for Byte in the "golden age", then you'll like this magazine.
I highly recommend this magazine for its technical content.
(Even the advertisers are interesting)