[sci.electronics] Lasers for communication

DAVE@ORION.BITNET (09/12/90)

I saw my high school physis teacher put an LED into the earphone jack of a simp
le radio shack radio, and about 4 feet away, put a phototransistor (?) into the
 microphone jack of a small amplifier, the sound was carried by the pulsing LED
.  I would like to re-create this experiment using a laser from the rooftop of
one campus building to another.  How would I go about this, is it possible, and
 what materials would I need?  Thanx!

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (09/13/90)

From article <153DAVE@ORION>, by DAVE@ORION.BITNET:
> I saw my high school physis teacher put an LED into the earphone jack
> of a simp > le radio shack radio, and about 4 feet away, put a
> phototransistor (?) into the microphone jack of a small amplifier, the
> sound was carried by the pulsing LED

Many commercially available lasers have a modulation input.  All you do is
hook the audio (or RF, for that matter) signal you want to transmit to the
modulation input, then turn on the laser and aim it at an appropriate
photodiode on the opposite rooftop, and you've got a roof-to-root
communications system.

Problem 1) Impedance matching at the laser modulation input.  If it's a BNC
connector, it probably wants a 50 ohm impedance line, expecting a fairly
low voltage signal.  Most audio lines, such as the ones from your tape
deck to your amplifier, are about 600 ohm impedance, with correspondingly
higher voltages.  At audio frequencies, a direct connection between the
two may be OK, if you turn the volume way down.  At RF frequencies, you may
need some kind of matching transformer to get things to work right.

Problem 2) Beam spread.  Over a long distance, it can pay off to get a
telescope for the transmitter.  Shine the laser in the eyepiece, and adjust
the focus so the beam focuses to a reasonably small spot at the receiver.
(You'll have to do this at night).  Among other things, this makes the signal
far more resistant to raindrops, since one drop will only block a fraction of
the beam when you spread it to the size of a telescope aperature.

Problem 3) Noise.  Ideally, the only light falling on the receiving
photodiode should be from the transmitting laser.  For short haul signals,
a simple chunk of pipe may provide enough of a shield, but for long
haul transmission, use another telescope.  With the laser off, focus the
receiving telescope on the laser's transmitting telescope, then put the
photodiode where your eye was and turn on the laser.

If your telescopes are reflecting telescopes, you should not that the
result is the optical analog of the parabolic reflectors traditionally
used in microwave transmitters and receivers.

					Doug Jones
					jones@herky.cs.uiowa.edu

pahsnsr@nmt.edu (Paul A. Houle) (09/13/90)

      Making an optical link with a laser is very possible,  and actually
can be very easy if you've got the right kind of laser.  It only takes
two technological tricks to pull it off - one is that you have to be
able to modulate the laser beam,  and the other one is to detect the
modulations.  Number 2 is exactly the same as if you did it with LED's.
The same circuits work,  and HeNe lasers don't produce enough power to
ruin photocells or CdS cells.  Some lasers have a modulation jack that
you can plug your audio/data (or even video with some models!) source
into that will automatically modulate the beam.  Most of these lasers use
a stable cavity but have a modulator in the beam path -- something that
gets dark when you apply electricity through it.  There are many physical
properties that you can use to get this effect - best known is the
"Kerr Cell" which works like a LCD.  Controlling power input to the
laser is also possible,  but tends to add more noise and,  for most models,
you'll have to considerably modify the power supply.  A final trick is to
use a bit of mirror that you can vibrate to move the beam on and off the
detector.
--
----------------------------------
NEWS FLASH:  NICE GUYS DECLARE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.020325.10622@nmt.edu> pahsnsr@nmt.edu (Paul A. Houle) writes:
>                                       ...  Controlling power input to the
>laser is also possible,  but tends to add more noise and,  for most models,
>you'll have to considerably modify the power supply.  A final trick is to
>use a bit of mirror that you can vibrate to move the beam on and off the
>detector.

    I have a HeNe laser that I'd like to use for communication also.
The tube itself has no provision for modulation, but the power supply
is seperate (built from a kit) so modifying it would be no problem.
My question is: how would I go about adding a modulator to the supply?
Do I just have to modulate the current? Does anyone have an example
schematic? I'm not well versed in high voltage electronics (high
voltage to me means "more than TTL levels" =8) )

--
wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington  | No sig under
(William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W  |||||||| construction

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (09/17/90)

In article <7504@milton.u.washington.edu> wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:

>    I have a HeNe laser that I'd like to use for communication also.

>My question is: how would I go about adding a modulator to the supply?

First off, these questions are better answered in the library than on
the net.

However, if you want to use your HeNe to transmit a signal, you are
going to be much better off modulating the light than its source.

In other words, let the HeNe stay on all the time and use something
in beam path that can either deflect the beam (an acousto-optic
modulator for instance) or vary its opacity (an LCD window with a
polarizer crossed wrt the LCD).

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (09/18/90)

We had a HeNe with a modulator stuck on it, plus a TTL interface.  I don't
think these things are too expensive.  The bandwidth you can get is pretty
impressive.

BTW, i don't think modulating the power supply will work so well.  The
response time is likely to be pretty lousy; i assume the plasma has to heat up
and cool down.  My stupid laser takes half a minute just to turn on.

steve@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Schallehn) (09/19/90)

In the October issue of QST (a ham radio magazine),  there is an article
about using lasers for communications.  The article includes overviews
of different laser communication methods.

-Steve Schallehn, KB0AGD
 Kansas State University

In article <1990Sep19.024913.3455@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> steve@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Schallehn) writes:
>In the October issue of QST (a ham radio magazine),  there is an article
>about using lasers for communications. ...

Okay, so next question:  how does one get a copy of QST without joining
the ARRL?  It's not available on newsstands, that I know of.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

spgreg@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) (09/20/90)

In article <3809@osc.COM>, jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes...
>and cool down.  My stupid laser takes half a minute just to turn on.

The delay before start of your laser is a government mandated safety feature
and likely has little to do with the potential performance of the laser
itself.

     MacRae                  | Looking twice through the glass, I see
   spgreg@csd.lerc.nasa.gov  |             The torreador.

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (09/20/90)

>>In the October issue of QST (a ham radio magazine),  there is an article
>>about using lasers for communications. ...

>Okay, so next question:  how does one get a copy of QST without joining
>the ARRL?  It's not available on newsstands, that I know of.

I often see it at newsstands, but in any case, it is generally
available at the local public library, at least in the U.S. It's less
certain that a University one would get it, however.
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (09/21/90)

In article <30638@nigel.ee.udel.edu> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:

jb>Followup-To: sci.garbage

(nice try)

jb>In other words, let the HeNe stay on all the time and use something
jb>in beam path that can either deflect the beam (an acousto-optic
jb>modulator for instance) or vary its opacity (an LCD window with a
jb>polarizer crossed wrt the LCD).

Isn't the laser beam polarized already?

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (09/21/90)

In article <DLBRES10.90Sep20174906@pc.usl.edu>, dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) writes:
> In article <30638@nigel.ee.udel.edu> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
>
> jb>Followup-To: sci.garbage
>
> (nice try)
>
> jb>In other words, let the HeNe stay on all the time and use something
> jb>in beam path that can either deflect the beam (an acousto-optic
> jb>modulator for instance) or vary its opacity (an LCD window with a
> jb>polarizer crossed wrt the LCD).
>
> Isn't the laser beam polarized already?

Only some lasers are polarized.  How do they polarize a HeNe laser?  simple.
Put a small pirce of polarized glass (for lack of a better term..) in
the beam path.  (very thin, very high quality).  Take a look at any Edmund
catalog... only about half of the lasers they sell are polarized.

Most modulated lasers use something that sticks right inbetween the
power supply and the tube, thus modulating the intensity of the beam.
(I think..)
------
Kent C. Brodie - Sr. Systems Manager       internet:  brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Faculty Physicians & Surgeons              uucpnet:   uwm.edu!fps!brodie
Medical College of Wisconsin	           voicenet:  +1 414 778 4500
				           faxnet:    +1 414 778 6694

"Researchers have shown that people who drink four or more cups of
 coffee a day are 40% more prone to heart attacks.... I guess we all
 now know what happened to *MISTER* Olson...."  -Jay Leno

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep19.194119.229@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, spgreg@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) writes:
> In article <3809@osc.COM>, jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes...
< >and cool down.  My stupid laser takes half a minute just to turn on.

< The delay before start of your laser is a government mandated safety feature

Thus giving you enough time to line up your eye with the beam output?	;-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep20.001947.29666@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
> >>In the October issue of QST (a ham radio magazine),  there is an article
> >>about using lasers for communications. ...
>
> >Okay, so next question:  how does one get a copy of QST without joining
> >the ARRL?  It's not available on newsstands, that I know of.
>
> I often see it at newsstands, but in any case, it is generally
> available at the local public library, at least in the U.S. It's less
> certain that a University one would get it, however.
> --
> A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
> & no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM
> Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
> is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

 On the contrary, I've found MOST university libraries get QST,
 if for no other reason that it's been published so long, or a
 local ham group gave a subscription.

 Course, the wonderful state of Arizona cut the periodicals budget
 back so far that our library no longer gets it ...

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
           or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (09/30/90)

In article <19149@frog.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
: In article <1990Sep19.194119.229@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, spgreg@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) writes:
: > In article <3809@osc.COM>, jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes...
: < >and cool down.  My stupid laser takes half a minute just to turn on.
: < The delay before start of your laser is a government mandated safety feature
: Thus giving you enough time to line up your eye with the beam output?	;-)

Yup, I can see it now, turn the laser on, hm, no light, check the power cords,
yup they are in, hm, maybe if I look down the barrel I can see something
blocking the light...... :-)

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !andromeda!galaxy!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***