[sci.electronics] Convert Music CD Player to Computer CD Reader

crichmon@digi.lonestar.org (Charles Richmond) (09/29/90)

I would like to know what it would take to add some circuitry to
an audio CD player so that a computer could read a CD rom on it.

Any references on understanding the guts of an audio CD player would
certainly help.  Perhaps the computer reading circuitry would need
to connect to the laser transducer directly?  Of course, any
schematics would help also.  Please enlighten me with your ideas on
this subject . . . I am open to suggestions on how to proceed.

  Charles Richmond               crichmon@digi.lonestar.org

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (09/30/90)

In article <1043@digi.lonestar.org> crichmon@digi.lonestar.org (Charles Richmond) writes:
>I would like to know what it would take to add some circuitry to
>an audio CD player so that a computer could read a CD rom on it.
>
>Any references on understanding the guts of an audio CD player would
>certainly help.

	Almost all audio CD players have a custom LSI chip that handles
the track detection/subcode decoding/complex interleave functions.  This
may (if you're lucky) be a general purpose microprocessor with a plug-in
EPROM.  Then you can read the EPROM, disassemble it, and change the
behavior.
	Otherwise, that LSI chip will be carefully identifying the
non-music tracks and skipping them.  There is no way to make a CD
player, intended for audio, read the non-audio tracks on a CD-ROM.
Some machines do both (I think the Apple CD-ROM reader is one such).
	Alas, I have perused several references on CD players and there's
no joy there.  The theory presented is sketchy, the mechanical details
are dismissed with handwaving, and the electronics is treated as
a black box to be replaced if it gives trouble.
	I have schematics for one player, and it's obvious that nothing
much can be done to change its behavior; the MSM6404RS chip that controls
the various machine operations might be possible to replace/reprogram,
but it has dedicated on-chip program ROM; I know of no way to read out the
existing program for analysis (and lotsa luck getting that info
from the manufacturer).

		John Whitmore

In article <1043@digi.lonestar.org> crichmon@digi.lonestar.org (Charles Richmond) writes:
>I would like to know what it would take to add some circuitry to
>an audio CD player so that a computer could read a CD rom on it.

Probably a lot.  The two disk formats are not the same (in particular,
the CDROM needs much better error detection and correction -- minor bit
rot in music is very hard to notice) and the audio hardware will almost
certainly be a single-point design built for audio and nothing else.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry