[sci.electronics] inductors

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) (09/30/90)

I am looking for a source for inductors in the 100uH to about 5mH range
suitable for use in switching power supplies.  Active Electronics does
not appear to carry such items, nor does ALL and Digi-Key's listings of
inductors shows very low current limits (I assume this is due to  core
saturation as well as power disipation in the parasitic resistance).
I only need up to about an amp of current capability.

Can anyone suggest a source for such inductors, or, failing that, for cores
suitable for winding one's own inductors?

Mike Loving
loving@cs.ucla.edu

dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (10/01/90)

In article <39509@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) writes:
>I am looking for a source for inductors in the 100uH to about 5mH range
>suitable for use in switching power supplies.  Active Electronics does
>not appear to carry such items, nor does ALL and Digi-Key's listings of
>inductors shows very low current limits (I assume this is due to  core
>saturation as well as power disipation in the parasitic resistance).
>I only need up to about an amp of current capability.
>
>Can anyone suggest a source for such inductors, or, failing that, for cores
>suitable for winding one's own inductors?

  I'd suggest winding your own power inductors. Contact Amidon Associates
for a copy of their catalog; it also contains data on core selection and
winding. The mailing address is:

  Amidon Associates
  12033 Otsego St.
  North Hollywood, CA  91607

  This address should still be good, though I haven't used it lately and
have heard that Amidon may have a new address. In my experience, Amidon
has always offered excellent service at reasonable prices. You can
expect to pay something like $2 to $10 for ferrite and iron powder cores
useful in switching supplies.

   Right now All Electronics is listing a large toroid which I figured out
to be a T-157-3 iron powder core for something like $1. This core may
be useful to you also. (The #3 material has a permeability of 35).

* Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
* (213) 337-5136 (ex WA6ZGB)	| mine and do not necessarily	*
* dana@locus.com		| reflect those of my employer	*

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (10/02/90)

In article <17727@oolong.la.locus.com>, dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana H. Myers) writes:
|   I'd suggest winding your own power inductors. Contact Amidon Associates
| for a copy of their catalog; it also contains data on core selection and
| winding. The mailing address is:
|
|   Amidon Associates
|   12033 Otsego St.
|   North Hollywood, CA  91607
|
|   This address should still be good, though I haven't used it lately and
| have heard that Amidon may have a new address.

The july 1990 flyer says

Amidon Associates
P. O. Box 956
Torrance, CA  90508

markz@ssc.uucp

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/02/90)

In article <39509@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) writes:
>I am looking for a source for inductors in the 100uH to about 5mH range
>suitable for use in switching power supplies.
>inductors shows very low current limits (I assume this is due to  core
>saturation as well as power disipation in the parasitic resistance).
>I only need up to about an amp of current capability.

Newark Electronics, p 221 in catalog #111:

Dale Brand Typer IHA High Current Filter Inductors, All rated more than
1 ampere, (between 1.4 amps - 1000 micro H, and 5.9 amps - 100 micro H)
(Next to the table describing the inductors is a balloon with the word
"NEW")

>Mike Loving
>loving@cs.ucla.edu

Hey wait a minute! Weren't you one of the Beach Boys?!!??