[sci.electronics] credit-card encoding

In article <10960034@hpldola.HP.COM> paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) writes:
>Speaking of credit cards, why don't we use bar codes or some other optical
>method rather than magnetic?  Seems like it would be more reliable.

Magnetic schemes have the vast advantage of being essentially immune to
dirt and surface damage.  For something that gets carried in pockets for
years, this is a significant advantage.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (09/26/90)

>In article <1990Sep25.153854.2812@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <10960034@hpldola.HP.COM> paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) writes:
>>Speaking of credit cards, why don't we use bar codes or some other optical
>>method rather than magnetic?  Seems like it would be more reliable.
>
>Magnetic schemes have the vast advantage of being essentially immune to
>dirt and surface damage.  For something that gets carried in pockets for
>years, this is a significant advantage.
>--
Magnetic encoding is also quite a lot more difficult to duplicate than
optical encoding would be (without going to UV or someother such thing)
for your average (read "non-electronics hacker") person.

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (09/29/90)

>|Yeah, or didja ever stay at a hotel that has those new magnetic-card-reader
>|locks?  Ever try to explain to the front desk clerk that your card won't work
>|anymore, because you spent the day at a monitor manufacturer and had occasion
>
>Far more effective to just tell them their darn locks are broken
>and you can't get into the room you paid money for.
>
>Why assume any responsibility for it?

Well, the full story is that the hotel in question had some sort of reader
at the front desk, to confirm that a given "key" was properly programmed for
a given room.  The clerk was a bit surprised when the key he'd given me
just that morning turned out not only to not match my room, but to be
completely BLANK!  (He had, of course, confirmed the key before giving it
to me earlier.)

>Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
>Freedom is dead, long live privacy!

There's a difference?

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (09/29/90)

From article <1990Sep25.153854.2812@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/30/90)

> Magnetic encoding is also quite a lot more difficult to duplicate than
> optical encoding would be (without going to UV or someother such thing)
> for your average (read "non-electronics hacker") person.

Not necessarily.  I've seen some very low tech gadgets for duplicating
cards.  Imagine a plexiglas box with a few strips of plexiglas on top
to form two parallel channels, each the width of a card.  Under each channel,
inside the box, are two tape heads.  An amplifier is connected from one
tape head to the other.  A card is duplicated by running the blank and the
master through the channels while the amplifier is on.  No mechanism is
needed for feeding the cards through -- you slide them through using the
same hand, so that both cards travel the same speed at the same time, even
if the speed varies a little.

Making a high-density optical card would be much harder, if lasers or
holograms were needed.  Even darkroom work would be harder than
building a card duplicator from scratch.

An even simpler way to duplicate a magnetic card is to place two cards
together, with the blank on top.  (You make a card blank by wiping a magnet
across it.)  Then quickly wipe a hot iron across the top card.  This briefly
heats the magnetic stripe above its Curie point.  When it cools down, it
picks up the field of the card on the bottom.

WRT non-hacker types doing this, I heard about the iron technique several
years ago, when it was rumored that tickets for the Bay Area Rapid Transit
(BART) system were being duplicated in this way by the average citizens
of places like Oakland.  Note that BART tickets are heavy paper, like a
postcard;  this technique probably wouldn't work with a plastic credit
card because of the thickness.

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (10/02/90)

In article <34388@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

>WRT non-hacker types doing this, I heard about the iron technique several
>years ago, when it was rumored that tickets for the Bay Area Rapid Transit
>(BART) system were being duplicated in this way by the average citizens
>of places like Oakland.  Note that BART tickets are heavy paper, like a
>postcard;  this technique probably wouldn't work with a plastic credit
>card because of the thickness.

There was a  story  a year or two ago  about people  being convicted  of
counterfeiting  BART  tickets.  How  could  this  be detected since  the
individual tickets aren't serial numbered, are they?  What difference is
there  between a  ticket that BART  added $10 to, and a  copy  of such a
ticket?

--
						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/02/90)

>>WRT non-hacker types doing this, I heard about the iron technique several
>>years ago, when it was rumored that tickets for the Bay Area Rapid Transit
>>(BART) system were being duplicated in this way by the average citizens
>>of places like Oakland.

Wasn't John Draper (Captain Crunch) accused/pursued/
prosecuted/persecuted at one point for something having to do with?
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (10/02/90)

From article <!0P%+$+@rpi.edu>, by wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin):
> In article <34388@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>> [... the hot-iron duplicator hack ...]
> There was a  story  a year or two ago  about people  being convicted  of
> counterfeiting  BART  tickets.  How  could  this  be detected since  the
> individual tickets aren't serial numbered, are they?  What difference is
> there  between a  ticket that BART  added $10 to, and a  copy  of such a
> ticket?

	As I recall, the mag-stripe on a _real_ BART ticket has a
substantially higher Curie temperature than grut mag-tape. The hack
involved using a stripe of 1/4" reel-to-reel tape, which was glued to
an old ticket (or piece of paper) _after_ being "ironed". These hacks
are quite detectable by _sight_, if the station agent happens to be
suspicious. There may have been folks who managed to "iron" directly from
one ticket to another, but I never heard of any.

	Note also that the iron technique would tend to produce "spread-out"
patterns which may get "corrected" by the fare-gate reader, but could
still show up on the more complex widget the station-agent uses to, for
example, verify damaged tickets.

	Even if the counterfeiters had substantially higher-tech gear than
the average hacker, it is hard to make money faking something worth $20
max, unless you _sell_ it. It is quite possible the arrests were made
as a result of "normal police procedure", e.g. following up on street-talk.

	Of course, _I_ never had anything to do with this stuff and don't
know anybody who did.

					Mike

| Mike Albaugh (albaugh@dms.UUCP || {...decwrl!pyramid!}weitek!dms!albaugh)
| Atari Games Corp (Arcade Games, no relation to the makers of the ST)
| 675 Sycamore Dr. Milpitas, CA 95035		voice: (408)434-1709
| The opinions expressed are my own (Boy, are they ever)

ESV@psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) (10/03/90)

In article <34388@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson)
says:
>An even simpler way to duplicate a magnetic card is to place two cards
>together, with the blank on top.  (You make a card blank by wiping a magnet
>across it.)  Then quickly wipe a hot iron across the top card.  This briefly
>heats the magnetic stripe above its Curie point.  When it cools down, it
>picks up the field of the card on the bottom.

Along similar lines:
Our university has as system in place where you can obtain
photocopies or laserprinter output via a credit card of sorts.
Its called a "vendacard" and you insert it into little card
readers on either copiers or laserprinters.  You
buy the card by feeding dollar bills into a vending machine
which credits your card with the amount of money minus $0.50
for the card.  The cards are laminated plastic with a magnetic
stripe on the back about 5mm wide.  Occasionally the cards go
bad and are unreadable. (usually due to scratches)  I examined
one of these unreadable cards and found that the magnetic strip
was indeed coded with digital data.  The interesting thing I
found though was that these cards were exceptionally resistant
to erasure by exposure to magnetic fields.  I tried erasing the
stripe using a 20oz permanent magnet:  no luck, the data wasn't
even degraded.  I tried a tape head demagnatizer, same thing.
I then remembered that when you got your card back from the reader,
it was slightly warm.  So I tried immersing the card in hot water
and using the demagnatizer; still nothing.  So I tried the ultimate
torture:  microwaving it in a dish of water.  I microwaved it until
the water boiled, at which point the laminated plastic card was so
soft, it couldn't be picked up.  In this state, I tried the
demagnatizer again; after letting it cool enough so it would go into
the reader, it still had the data intact.  I came to the conclusion
that these cards are extremely resistant to stray or not so stray
magnetic fields, and the only way to damage them is physically.
Therefore, I have extreme confidence in the integrity of my vendacoder
card, and maybe a little more confidence in my credit and ATM cards.

Andrew Coll       ESV@PSUVM.BITNET
                  ESV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (10/04/90)

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) writes:

>There was a  story  a year or two ago  about people  being convicted  of
>counterfeiting  BART  tickets.  How  could  this  be detected since  the
>individual tickets aren't serial numbered, are they?  What difference is
>there  between a  ticket that BART  added $10 to, and a  copy  of such a
>ticket?

I know one of the people convicted of all that (he did the technology) and
this is his story:

This is Bill Squire and I will say you are right.  Yes we took old five cent
tickets and put $7.95 in "virtual cash" on them, and then put them in an add-
fare machine, added a nickel and got a BART issued eight dollar ticket--total
cost: ten cents.  It was only when my friend (who was a minor at the time)
got involved with "free" donuts at the "safe hollidays program" ran by the
BART cops that a cop set us up to "make money" with $32 tickets printed on
blanks.  Note that the cops created the crime!  Oh ain't that America!!!

Send any replies to Bill through me.....

--
Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
quote: "We don't care about freedom of the mind, | Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)