[sci.electronics] "Name These Chips"

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (10/04/90)

Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
disk data-logger/controller):

    Intel P2101A-4 22-pin (.4 or .5 in. wide)
    Intel D3624A   24-pin (.6 in wide)  (house numbered ROM's???)
    Intel D3002    28-pin (.6 in wide)
      ?   9406 PC  24-pin (.5? in wide)  large "F" on package (Fairchild???)

Any comments appreciated!

           roger        rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
                    icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/05/90)

Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: Re: "Name These Chips"
In article <3129@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
>disk data-logger/controller):

Intel P2101A-4   A microprocessor(?) cross Analog Devices ADSP-2101
Intel D3624A      Probably a ROM
Intel D3002        - 4 bit Microprocessor Slice (ALU)
  ?   9406 PC    -There are no "94XX" in the Fairchild selection guide.

>           roger        rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
>                    icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov

Alan Whinery
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu
"I never liked a man I didn't meet."
-- me, 1990

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (10/05/90)

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
>    Intel P2101A-4 22-pin (.4 or .5 in. wide)

Old 1 Kilobit Static RAM  (1977 was last Intel databook it was in)

>    Intel D3624A   24-pin (.6 in wide)  (house numbered ROM's???)
>    Intel D3002    28-pin (.6 in wide)
>      ?   9406 PC  24-pin (.5? in wide)  large "F" on package (Fairchild???)

Dunno, but probably also in old databook. We have some books that are on the
boat to here.....

--
Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
quote: "We don't care about freedom of the mind, | Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (10/05/90)

>Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
>disk data-logger/controller):
>
>    Intel P2101A-4 22-pin (.4 or .5 in. wide)
	a 256 x 4 bit Static RAM
>    Intel D3624A   24-pin (.6 in wide)  (house numbered ROM's???)
	a 512 x 8 bit PROM (Silicon fuse)
>    Intel D3002    28-pin (.6 in wide)
	a 2 bit wide "bit slice" ALU
>      ?   9406 PC  24-pin (.5? in wide)  large "F" on package (Fairchild???)
	a 16 x 4 bit LIFO "stack"	(yes, its Fairchild)

>Any comments appreciated!
	Intel chip data from the 1975 edition of Intel's Data Catalog.
	Fairchild part number from 1982 edition of the IC master.

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet

	You have some old parts there...

In article <9689@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

	The following devices are MUCH older than you might believe!

> >Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
> >disk data-logger/controller):
>
> Intel P2101A-4   A microprocessor(?) cross Analog Devices ADSP-2101

	Sorry, this part is a 256x4 bit RAM, with an access time around
	500 ns - ain't too fast, by today's standards!

> Intel D3624A      Probably a ROM

	It's a PROM with a *whole* 512 bytes!

> Intel D3002        - 4 bit Microprocessor Slice (ALU)

	That's probably what it is.

>   ?   9406 PC    -There are no "94XX" in the Fairchild selection guide.

	I believe it is a part from the 1970's.  There were various
	TTL IC's having part numbers which began with 9 or 9N.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (10/05/90)

In article <9689@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
->Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
->disk data-logger/controller):
-Intel P2101A-4   A microprocessor(?) cross Analog Devices ADSP-2101
                  No.  A 256x4 (not 256K!) static RAM, 400ns access
-  ?   9406 PC    -There are no "94XX" in the Fairchild selection guide.
                  Possibly a transistor array
/mike

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

In article <4083@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>> Intel D3002        - 4 bit Microprocessor Slice (ALU)
>
>	That's probably what it is.

Amazing, a chance to catch Larry out on something! :-)  It's a *two*-bit
microprocessor slice.  Intel decided that having more buses on a small
package was worth doubling the number of chips for a given system.  The
market generally disagreed and those chips weren't too successful.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (10/07/90)

In article <3129@lll-lcc.UUCP>, rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
> Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
> disk data-logger/controller):
>
>     Intel P2101A-4 22-pin (.4 or .5 in. wide)
256 by 4 static ram.

>     Intel D3624A   24-pin (.6 in wide)  (house numbered ROM's???)
512 by 8 bipolar prom

>     Intel D3002    28-pin (.6 in wide)
2 bit wide microprogrammed bit slice.  (Didn't last long, the only
reference I could find was in "Computer Structures, Readings and Examples",
which said it was intoduced in '75, but it's not in the '79 catalog.)

>       ?   9406 PC  24-pin (.5? in wide)  large "F" on package (Fairchild???)
16 by 4 LIFO stack. (the microprogram subroutine jump stack, I'd assume.)

Classic stuff.  Buy a boat, you've got the anchor.

markz@ssc.uucp

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct5.152413.24200@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <4083@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>> Intel D3002        - 4 bit Microprocessor Slice (ALU)
>>
>>	That's probably what it is.
>
>Amazing, a chance to catch Larry out on something! :-)  It's a *two*-bit
>microprocessor slice.  Intel decided that having more buses on a small
>package was worth doubling the number of chips for a given system.  The
>market generally disagreed and those chips weren't too successful.

My favorite was the Motorola 1-bit cpu chip.  Don't remember too many
details except an 8085 was cheaper.  They did have an app note where
it controled traffic signals.  Hmm.  Wonder how it did that... B-).
-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

                                    quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                                    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (10/08/90)

In article <9689@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

>In article <3129@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>>Can anyone help with identifying the following (used in some sort of 8"
>>disk data-logger/controller):
>
>Intel P2101A-4   A microprocessor(?) cross Analog Devices ADSP-2101

    No. A RAM chip. 256x1 static RAM.

>  ?   9406 PC    -There are no "94XX" in the Fairchild selection guide.

    These are some kind of SSI/MSI logic like the 7400 family. I'm
pretty sure they're TTL.

* Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
* (213) 337-5136 (ex WA6ZGB)	| mine and do not necessarily	*
* dana@locus.com		| reflect those of my employer	*

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct6.215013.21449@bpdsun1.uucp> rmf@bpdsun1.UUCP (Rob Finley) writes:
>My favorite was the Motorola 1-bit cpu chip.  Don't remember too many
>details except an 8085 was cheaper.  They did have an app note where
>it controled traffic signals.  Hmm.  Wonder how it did that... B-).

No problem, you could extend the opcodes with an address field
and use a multiplexer to select an input channel. The finest thing
was that it didn't have a branch instruction. You could store the
result of an operation into a flag and it would continue reading
instructions (but not execute them) until a clear_flag instruction
was found.

--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct6.215013.21449@bpdsun1.uucp>
	rmf@bpdsun1.UUCP (Rob Finley) writes:
>My favorite was the Motorola 1-bit cpu chip.  Don't remember too many
>details except an 8085 was cheaper.  They did have an app note where
>it controled traffic signals.  Hmm.  Wonder how it did that... B-).

From what I understand that 1-bit cpu chip was intended for use in highly
parallel variable word length computers that would use thousands of them
together (like the Massively Parallel Processor which had an array of
128 by 128 single bit processors. They used their own custom chip that
had 8 1-bit processors in it, not the motorola chip.) If you ever looked
at the chip's instructions, you will notice that it could be disabled by
setting a bit causing it to ignore the instruction stream; just what you
need when you are sending the same instruction stream to thousands of
processors at the same time and need to "branch" around part of the code
in SOME of those processors.

Whoever wrote that app note came up with a totally unreasonable application
for this chip (that could be much better done with other parts), but it did
illustrate how it could be used without necesitating a multi-million dollar
project to build a "supercomputer" be explained in an app note.