[sci.electronics] Fiber Optic Sound Cables ...

Racer-X@saturn.ucc.umass.edu (Chris Lloyd) (10/02/90)

I'm posting this in comp.sys.next and sci.electronics because its
sort of a cross-breed question..

I just purchased a new SONY CD (music) player the other day, this player
has a fiber optic digital output.  I'll be ordering a NeXT Slab within
a few months. What I'm wondering is, seeing as how the sound coming out
of my CD player is already digitized.

      Is there anything out there that will take this feed and pump it
        into a NeXT? any computer?

      How difficult would it be to build such a device? can I get the
       parts?

      Does anyone have information on this type of interface?

I think it would be really nice to feed super clean digitized sound
from a CD player to the NeXT where it can me manipulated in CD quality
and then pumped out to a amp.  Maybe I wont have to buy an equalizer :)

Thanks in advance, if I get any information I'll summarize to the net...

--
Chris Lloyd   -  Racer-X@saturn.ucc.umass.edu
"Got a big white X, on the top of his car..." - Big Black

mackenzi@Apple.COM (Steven MacKenzie) (10/06/90)

My question is ... why would any one want to use fiber optic to transmit
digital data 6 feet or so?  The difference in  error rate of fiber vs. wire
for such a small distance must be negligible.  Sounds like a very expensive
solution for a non-problem.

Steve MacKenzie, mackenzi@apple.com
#include disclaimer.std

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/08/90)

mackenzi@Apple.COM (Steven MacKenzie) writes:

>My question is ... why would any one want to use fiber optic to transmit
>digital data 6 feet or so?  The difference in  error rate of fiber vs. wire
>for such a small distance must be negligible.  Sounds like a very expensive
>solution for a non-problem.

Oh, I don't know.  Six feet is about right to keep nasty 'ole Mr. Lightning
out of the hardware goodies.  Pretty fair tradeoff, wouldn't you say.
A $5 LED sacrificing itself for a multi-kilobuck computer.

<cheap-shot alert on - I just can't pass the opportunity>

I can understand how that would not be obvious, comming from an Apple
site.  After all, according to a Mac zealot friend of mine, AppleChat
is DC coupled which reacts nicely to unbalanced neutrals in a building.
He's got smoked couples to show for it.  I wouldn't know myself, having
never touched the things.

<cheap-shot off>

:-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (10/08/90)

mackenzi@Apple.COM (Steven MacKenzie) writes:
>>My question is ... why would any one want to use fiber optic to transmit
>>digital data 6 feet or so?  The difference in  error rate of fiber vs. wire
>>for such a small distance must be negligible.  Sounds like a very expensive
>>solution for a non-problem.

It's a nifty way to keep RF in or out of the box.  Tempest-style vaults use
fiber to get the telephones past the shielding.
	- Brian

vermilye@Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) (10/09/90)

In article <10596@goofy.Apple.COM> mackenzi@Apple.COM (Steven MacKenzie) writes:

>My question is ... why would any one want to use fiber optic to transmit
>digital data 6 feet or so?  The difference in  error rate of fiber vs. wire
>for such a small distance must be negligible.  Sounds like a very expensive
>solution for a non-problem.
>
>Steve MacKenzie, mackenzi@apple.com
>#include disclaimer.std

I didn't catch the original article, however there are a few reasons for
using fiber over wire...

 One of the reasons is to prevent EMI/RFI problems.  Even though it is a
short distance, there is no need for shielding.  Longer fiber optic cables
are sometimes used for sound reinforcement systems to prevent problems with
electrically noisey lighting dimmers.  If security is a problem, another
advantage is the difficulty tapping into fiber.

Jon R. Vermilye                          		         315 341 2138
Department of Theatre, Tyler Hall                  vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu
SUNY Oswego                                 ..rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!vermilye
Oswego, NY 13126                                     vermilye@snyoswva.bitnet

kravitz@foxtail.UUCP (Jody Kravitz) (10/10/90)

>mackenzi@Apple.COM (Steven MacKenzie) writes:
>>>My question is ... why would any one want to use fiber optic to transmit
>>>digital data 6 feet or so?

The issue here it so keep the (unconverted) digital signal out of the
audio.  The clock rate in the cable is 44,100 * 2 * (16 bits + framing). Thats
about 1.5MHz.  Fast rise times and TTL signal levels would invite coupling
to any nearby low-level audio circuit (tape monitor, graphic EQ, etc).  The
fiber-optic cable guarantees this won't happen.

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (10/11/90)

In article <314@foxtail.UUCP> kravitz@foxtail.UUCP (Jody Kravitz) writes:

>The issue here it so keep the (unconverted) digital signal out of the
>audio.  The clock rate in the cable is 44,100 * 2 * (16 bits + framing). Thats
>about 1.5MHz.  Fast rise times and TTL signal levels would invite coupling...

	Actually, the fast-rise signals are created deliberately, at each
end of the transfer, anyway.  And, the straight 'eye pattern' off
the photodiode detector is bandwidth limited, so would be trivial to
buffer and send (through a transformer if you want to keep current
loops out of the picture) to any other box.  Additionally, optical links
don't develop good bandwidth on short cables (oddly, the attenuation
in the cable is necessary to keep high-frequency 'ringing' from
occurring in the fiber link); in short, the optical link has NO
advantage over simple balun/twisted pair wiring.
	The decision, IMHO, was simple gee-whiz marketing.  Someone
said to a group of engineers, 'What can we offer the customers, that
our competition will take months or longer to match?'

I am known for my brilliance,                  John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.