[sci.electronics] intro analog books

In article <1990Oct8.150643.9818@athena.mit.edu> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
>... Actually, if anyone could recommend a good introductory analog
>electronics book, I'd appreciate that.

My tentative recommendation would be Stuart Hoenig's "How to build and use
electronic devices without frustration, panic, mountains of money, or an
engineering degree", 2nd ed, Little Brown 1980.  This focuses heavily on
op amps, but it's still a pretty good book.  Don't know if it's still
in print, though.

Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics" is the definitive book on
the subject for non-EEs, but it's a lot more massive and formal.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct11.032231.25730@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics" is the definitive book on
>the subject for non-EEs, but it's a lot more massive and formal.

Don't limit that recommendation, Henry.

Horowitz and Hill is a great thing for any EE to have, too.

Nobody's an expert on everything.  (Even H&H includes a
number of sections written primarily by grad students --
Harvard grad students at that).

				--Blair
				  "For instance, I don't know
				   the formula to Coca-cola, how
				   to use far pointers, the pinouts
				   of half the chips I've designed,
				   or the middle part of the
				   Gettysburg address..."

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (10/12/90)

>In article <1990Oct11.032231.25730@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Oct8.150643.9818@athena.mit.edu> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
>>... Actually, if anyone could recommend a good introductory analog
>>electronics book, I'd appreciate that.
>
>My tentative recommendation would be Stuart Hoenig's "How to build and use
>electronic devices without frustration, panic, mountains of money, or an
>engineering degree", 2nd ed, Little Brown 1980.  This focuses heavily on
>op amps, but it's still a pretty good book.  Don't know if it's still
>in print, though.

A good book that didn't see much distribution was "Intuitive IC Op Amps"
by Thomas M. Frederiksen.  It's part of the "National Semiconductor
Technology Series".  Good for both beginners and "experts".

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |