[sci.electronics] Headlights switched thru the ignition

bateman@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Monte Bateman) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.201401.1742@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Having done this on at least one or two occassions, I'm sensitive to
>this issue.  I never understood why it is *possible* to do that.  Why don't
>the lights go out automatically when you turn the ignition off?

They do on my *1981* Volkswagen Dasher (Diesel).  But then, the whole car
is masterfully engineered.  (You should see the close tolerances on the
pulleys and belts - wow!) (42 mpg - from a 10 yr old car!)

Just another satisfied VW owner...Farfut-whatever!

Monte Bateman
WB5RZX @ WB5RZX
bateman @ nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu
National Severe Storms Laboratory, Norman, OK!  73069

rhaar@rcsrlh.Berkeley.EDU (Bob Haar CS50) (10/09/90)

Smith) writes:
|> >.  Why don't
|> >the [head] lights go out automatically when you turn the ignition off?
|>
|> Just another satisfied VW owner...Farfut-whatever!

Maybe you are satisfied with that arangement, but I would be angry
if my car was designed that way. There are times that I want to use
the car headlights to illuminate something without having the engine running.
I prefer that having the option of doing that with the "buzzer"
acting as a gentle reminder that I should consider if that is what I
really want.

I don't like to have electrically powered options unavailable just because
the ignition is off. I get very frustrated with all the GM cars that
don't let you run up the power windows after you stop the engine.

	Bob Haar   CSNET: HAAR@GMR.COM  UUCP: uunet!edsews!rphroy!rcsrlh!rhaar
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (10/09/90)

In article <34976@rphroy.UUCP> rhaar@rcsrlh.Berkeley.EDU (Bob Haar CS50) writes:
>Maybe you are satisfied with that arangement, but I would be angry
>if my car was designed that way. There are times that I want to use
>the car headlights to illuminate something without having the engine running.

The circuit in my '85 Toy Supra isn't too complex.  It shuts down all of the
outside lights after the ignition has been turned off AND the driver's door
has been opened.  Turning the lights back on requires turning them off and
back on again.

This setup has never bothered me.  The worst that I've had to do is open and
shut the door when I'm going to sit inside and wait for someone - it's just
too easy not to screw around with turning the lights on/off.

One addition I'd like is that the solar sensor (for the auto A/C) be connected
to the headlights.  I've seen some other cars that have this option.

--kyler

chuck@mitlns.mit.edu (10/10/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <34976@rphroy.UUCP>, rhaar@rcsrlh.Berkeley.EDU (Bob Haar CS50) writes...
>In article <1990Oct9.051125.224@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>,
>bateman@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Monte Bateman) writes:
>|>
>|> Just another satisfied VW owner...Farfut-whatever!
>|>
>Maybe you are satisfied with that arangement, but I would be angry
>if my car was designed that way. There are times that I want to use
>the car headlights to illuminate something without having the engine running.
>I prefer that having the option of doing that with the "buzzer"
>acting as a gentle reminder that I should consider if that is what I
>really want.
>
>I don't like to have electrically powered options unavailable just because
>the ignition is off. I get very frustrated with all the GM cars that
>don't let you run up the power windows after you stop the engine.

   My Toyota Camry turns the lights off automatically but only after
you close the car door. That is if you turn the car off and step out
to look at something (like their alignment) they don't go off unless
you close the door. I haven't found a situation where I mind leaving
the door open if I want the car off and lights on yet...

				Chuck@mitlns.mit.edu

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (10/10/90)

One of the ways of doing this is make it so the headlights can be on if
the ignition is on or the courtesy lights are on.  Therefore, on those
rare occasions that you need the headlights to be on when the engine is
off, just turn the courtesy lights on as well.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

lamb@brahms.udel.edu (Richard E Lamb) (10/11/90)

No thanks!  I like my light switch to be as dumb as I am.  If I leave it
ON, they stay ON.
if I turn it OFF, they go OFF.
I guess I'm just old fashioned - (I hate mices too!)

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (10/11/90)

     I had that in a 1974 Fiat 124 Spyder.  Headlights were enabled in
ignition positions RUN and ACC, but not START.  Parking lights were
enabled in all positions.

     Pursuant to Nader's recommendations, headlights should be on
for all driving.  This is now required for motorcycles.

					John Nagle

walt@raid5.uucp (Walt Hubis) (10/16/90)

In article <34976@rphroy.UUCP> rhaar@rcsrlh.Berkeley.EDU (Bob Haar CS50) writes:
>> Why don't
>> the [head] lights go out automatically when you turn the ignition off?
>
>Maybe you are satisfied with that arangement, but I would be angry
>if my car was designed that way. There are times that I want to use
>the car headlights to illuminate something without having the engine running.
>I prefer that having the option of doing that with the "buzzer"
>acting as a gentle reminder that I should consider if that is what I
>really want.
>
>I don't like to have electrically powered options unavailable just because
>the ignition is off. I get very frustrated with all the GM cars that
>don't let you run up the power windows after you stop the engine.

This is not the case with my Saab, or the VW. These cars have a
keyswitch position labled "G" for Garage. All accessories, lights,
etc, are powered up, but the engine's ignition system is not
powered. The idea of having the headlights shut off when the key
is out is real nice for those of us out here in the flatlands, where
some of us drive with our lights on all the time for (arguable)
safety reasons.

Walt