[sci.electronics] Need help with HP LaserJet II

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (10/09/90)

Hello.

I don't quite believe my luck.. or non-luck.

I've been given an HP LaserJet II.  And, no, it doesn't work.  (The
giver wanted an LJ-III and didn't want to bother having the LJ-II
repaired).

I can turn the unit on..  Can hear the motors move.  The front panel
lights go on normally and the display says "05 SELF TEST".  It gets
through that okay.. then the display says, "02 WARMING UP".

And it sits there, "WARMING UP".  Never seems to come out of it.  The
room lights on that line dim occasionally from a high current draw.
They return to full brightness after a second or two.. which makes me
think the printer electronics are protecting something.

I turn the machine off, stick my hand in there, and the fuser area is
dead cold.

The front panel lights do not re-light.

The best I've done is measure continuity through the fuser heating
element (using an ohmmeter).. but beyond that, I'm stuck.  I have no
ideas where to peer next inside this beast.

Before I telephone HP Service (ouch), can anyone suggest a possible
course of action?  Possibly something simple died that I can easily
fix?  Maybe a blown fuse in the power supply going to the thermal
regulator on the fuser?

Suggestions for other tests would be appreciated.  It would be nice to
get it running...

Regards,
Mark
mbeck@ai.mit.edu

wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (10/11/90)

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) writes:
>I've been given an HP LaserJet II.  And, no, it doesn't work.
>I can turn the unit on..  Can hear the motors move.  The front panel
>lights go on normally and the display says "05 SELF TEST".  It gets
>through that okay.. then the display says, "02 WARMING UP".
>And it sits there, "WARMING UP".  Never seems to come out of it.  The
>room lights on that line dim occasionally from a high current draw.
						 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>They return to full brightness after a second or two.. which makes me
>think the printer electronics are protecting something.
>I turn the machine off, stick my hand in there, and the fuser area is
>dead cold.

The last sentence says it all.  Just leave the "cold" off.  The fuser
sounds fused. ;-) Measure the DC resistance.  Also check the
resistance of the heater connections to the fuser/LJ-II case.  Now
call HP and find out what the correct values for both should be.  HP
might also sell the service manuals.  Probably a nice thing to have.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    uunet!{nancy,usaos,media!ka3ovk}!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

In article <1990Oct11.152443.3345@wsrcc.uucp> wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>... Measure the DC resistance.  Also check the
>resistance of the heater connections to the fuser/LJ-II case.  Now
>call HP and find out what the correct values for both should be.  HP
>might also sell the service manuals.  Probably a nice thing to have.

Unfortunately, the service manuals for the LJ2 are a great step down from
the ones for the original LJ series.  The LJ2 manual is a guide to
replacing whole subassemblies, rather than detailed down-in-the-wires
troubleshooting information.  HP will probably just quote a price on
replacing the entire fusing assembly, several hundred bucks worth.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

scotta@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Scott Anderson) (10/13/90)

>                                                                Now
> call HP and find out what the correct values for both should be.  HP
> might also sell the service manuals.

    According to my old 8/88 Version of the Documentation Index, here's
some numbers for you...

HP Part Number	Description					Price
33440-90904	HP 33440A Laser Printer Service Manual		$49.00
33440-90906	HP 33440A Laserjet Series II Printer CE Hnbk	$8.50

    These can be ordered through HP's Direct Marketing (800-538-8787).
I believe you can also get a copy of the Documentation Index from them.

    Scott Anderson
    An RTEsian and proud of it...		Hewlett-Packard
						Data Systems Operation
    scotta@cup.hp.com				11000 Wolfe Rd.  MS 42UN
    408-447-5219				Cupertino, CA  95014

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.152921.12345@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henr
>In article <1990Oct11.152443.3345@wsrcc.uucp> wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S.
>>... Measure the DC resistance.  Also check the
>>resistance of the heater connections to the fuser/LJ-II case.
>
>...the service manuals for the LJ2 are a great step down from the ones for
>the original LJ series.  The LJ2 manual is a guide to...{parts swapping}....

If you have a set for the original LJ, what are the numbers in question ?
I would doubt if they would change by a factor 10 or more which would probably
be needed to dim the room lights.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

scotta@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Scott Anderson) (10/16/90)

> If you have a set for the original LJ, what are the numbers in question ?

02686-90913	2686A C.E. Handbook			$5.00
02686-90920	2686A/D Laserjet Service Manual		$29.00

Ah, it's so nice to have such an important role in these discussions. :-)

In article <1990Oct13.142200.4154@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>If you have a set for the original LJ, what are the numbers in question ?

LJ1 troubleshooting procedures say that heater bulb resistance ought to be
1-5 ohms cold (if I'm reading the Japlish correctly).