[sci.electronics] Ring signal generation

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (10/10/90)

1) I appreciate the response for the DTMF decoder request - especially the
ring signal suppressor!

2) Any ideas on _creating_ a ring signal?  I'm trying to route an incoming
call to a device.  I've found out that a 'standard' ring is 48vdc @ 20Hz.  How
close to this must I get?  It would be great if I could use 60Hz, but I doubt
that's a good option.  (I have little knowledge of analog electronics.  Alas,
another CS major trying to do EE...)

Thanks!

--kyler

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/10/90)

In article <14913@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:

>2) Any ideas on _creating_ a ring signal?  I'm trying to route an incoming
>call to a device.  I've found out that a 'standard' ring is 48vdc @ 20Hz.
>--kyler
ccording to "Understanding Telephone Electronics" which I bought at Radio
Shack in Tippecanoe Mall some years back, the correct ringing signal on
a spec FCC telephone set (ha ha ha, find one) is 90 VRMS @ 20 hz. I think the
48 volts you mentioned is probably the "battery" DC line voltage that appears
when the line is at high impedance (off-hook). The ring signal in
West Lafayette is a pulsed one, meaning that it contains little bursts of
the 20 hz during a ring, rather than a constant 20 hz.

To emulate this? Your ringer would probably eat 60 hz, but you'd have to
knock down the voltage a little, and it would sound funny. The likelihood
that there is a high Q 20 hz filter in a phone is relatively slim.
It would be cool if you had an autotransformer, with which you could vary
the AC voltage from a line socket to experiment.

Alan Whinery
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu
BSET Purdue 1984

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/10/90)

I'm not clear if the original poster wanted to trip the ring
detect in his key system, or generate ring signal to run the
phones themselves.

In the first case, 60 hz will trip a 1A2 KTU 400 card with no
problem. I do recommend an isolation transformer -- about 70
volts RMS should do the job.

BUT, 60hz will not run any mechanical ringer I have seen. The
normal untuned ones will function on 30hz, however, and most of
the simpler KTU supplies actually make that.

You have several choices:
	Try phones with tweedle-deedle ringers. Note that some
	of those ringer chips are designed with 60hz rejection
	to avoid false ringing....

	Use DC buzzers in the phones, and forget the ringers.

	Make some 20/30 hz.

You may be able to find a supply with this feature at a hamfest.  The
WECO 113A, 117A&B, and the 20 and 30 series supplies all have ringer
voltage supplies. Lorain Products Corp. made thousands of "Sub-Cycle"
supplies of various styles and sizes.

Making your own supply is not impossible, but is likely
non-cost_effective. Exotic magnetics are needed to copy LPC's methods.
You could likely build a 30hz oscillator, and follow it with power
amps, but again that would be $$$.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (10/10/90)

>2) Any ideas on _creating_ a ring signal?  I'm trying to route an incoming

Look in the latest (Oct?  Nov?) Radio-Electronics magazine.  It has an
article on a phone call screening device that among other things generates
a ring signal, and does it fairly cheaply.

In article <9770@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
>To emulate this? Your ringer would probably eat 60 hz, but you'd have to
>knock down the voltage a little, and it would sound funny. The likelihood
>that there is a high Q 20 hz filter in a phone is relatively slim. ..

Unfortunately, there is:  "classic" phones have mechanically-resonant
ringers that really do want something fairly close to specs.  (What, you
were expecting an *electronic* filter?  Don't be silly. :-))  What the
cheap electronic phones will take is another question.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/11/90)

> the correct ringing signal on a spec FCC telephone set (ha ha ha, find
> one) is 90 VRMS @ 20 hz.

	How about the following to generate a fairly ugly 90 VRMS @ 20 Hz
signal?  First, step 115 VRMS @ 60 Hz (i.e. mains power) down to 90V, and
full wave rectify it.  Generate a 60 Hz TTL square wave train by any one of
a number of methods involving some combination of zener diodes, and schmidt
trigger comparators.  Run this into a divide-by-3 (2 flip-flops, plus a
couple of gates).  Use the 20 Hz TTL output of the divide-by-3 to drive a
solid-state DPDT relay (basically 4 big CMOS analog switches), cross
connected to reverse the polarity of the 90 VRMS, 60 Hz full wave rectified
waveform generated in step 1.  The output should look like:

      *     *     *                       *     *     *
    *   * *   * *   *                   *   * *   * *   *
   *     *     *     *                 *     *     *     *
---*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*----*---
                     *     *     *     *                 *     *     *    *
                      *   * *   * *   *                   *   * *   * *   *
                        *     *     *                       *     *     *

	As an alternative, you could use the 1940's technology,
brute-force, electro-mechanical way.  Use the 115V 60 Hz mains to drive an
N-pole synchronous motor.  Couple the shaft to a 3N-pole 90V synchronous
generator (maybe even on the same shaft in the same case) and out comes
your 90 VRMS 20 Hz ringing signal, probably with an efficiency approaching
90%.  Why do I have the feeling that if I go down to the centrex room in
our building, I might actually find something like this?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software) (10/12/90)

It's fairly easy (:-) to generate quasi-sort-of-sine-looking-things at
more-or-less 60-80VAC 20HZ by taking a filament transformer (remember them?)
and running it backwards, resonating the primary with a large NONpolarized
capaicitor, and using robust transistors (2n3055 or power FETs) in a multivibrator
configuration.  Using feedback from the resonant load eliminates needing to tune
a separate oscillator.

I'd recommend a 300 mA 12VCT filament transformer driven off 5 volts.  Use
an L/C/R bridge and 1/2pi sqrt(L * C) to determine the C value (don't be surprised
if it's several hundred microfarads or larger!), or just play around with a scope.

This can generate a LARGE jolt on its output, and remarkably large reflected voltages
on the driver transistors.  Be careful & have fun!
	regards,
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/12/90)

I wrote:
> Use the 115V 60 Hz mains to drive an N-pole synchronous motor.  Couple the
> shaft to a 3N-pole 90V synchronous generator [...] and out comes [...] 20 Hz

	Aaarrrggghghg!  That'll produce 180 Hz.  What I meant to say
(honest :-)) was use a 3N-pole motor driving an N-pole generator.  So, how
come nobody flamed me for my error yet?

grayt@spock (Tom Gray) (10/12/90)

In article <2876@jaytee.East.Sun.COM> gsteckel@east.sun.com (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software) writes:
>It's fairly easy (:-) to generate quasi-sort-of-sine-looking-things at
>more-or-less 60-80VAC 20HZ by taking a filament transformer (remember them?)

In this discussion, one must remeber that the object of the ringing signal
is to alert the user. When he is alerted he will take the telephone off hook
and the telephone system (in this case the KSU) must detect this transition.

The 20Hz ringing signal must be a very clean sine wave for this to happen
releiably. Any imperfections in the sine wave will make the task more
difficult. If not done correctly the dreadded result of PRE-TRIP will
happen. In this case, the system will see transiensts from the ringing
signal and falsely decide that the telephone is off hook.

Remembet that the ringing generator is driving up to 5 telephones with
a variety of ringing devices from electronic to mechanical. The impedance
of this configuration can range from 50K to 1.2K or 800 ohms. The ringing
detector and ringing generator must operate reliably into all of these
loads.

Although telephone ringing sounds trivial - it is not a trivial task to
make it operate reliably - with all types of telephones into all types
of loops.

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/13/90)

In <4838@smithd> grayt@spock (Tom Gray) writes:

>In this discussion, one must remeber that the object of the ringing signal
>is to alert the user. When he is alerted he will take the telephone off hook
>and the telephone system (in this case the KSU) must detect this transition.

>The 20Hz ringing signal must be a very clean sine wave for this to happen
>releiably. Any imperfections in the sine wave will make the task more
>difficult.

I'm getting a little confused here.
I can think of NO way a 1A2 KTU could be bothered by crummy 20 hz.
(We were talking old WECO key systems, weren't we?)

	1) The local {2,3}0 hz goes out on the CA (Common Audible) line,
	   switched by the 400 {B,D,G,H} card and the
	   motor-driven interupter. At no point is it across T&R
	   as the CO ringing is.
	2) The card trips (stops ringing) on the basis of A_control
	   current, run by a mechanical hookswitch contact in
	   each set.
	3) The 400 card on each line also looks at loop current
	   (mostly for the HOLD function) but that too is
	   switched by a mechanical hookswitch.

I've rung phones with really crappy stuff. I've also overloaded
small Sub-Cycle type supplies with too many ringers so they
would 'dink' one each cycle, before stalling. One advantage of
the 1A2 is it is too dumb to be confused by anything short of
lightning.

For more details, see 325-010: Bell System "Key Systems Service
Manual, vol 1 and 2."
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM
Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

gaarder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Gaarder) (10/18/90)

Last time I checked, Fair Radio Sales has a ring signal generator in their
catalog.  It takes a 90 volt DC input and makes 90V 20 Hz.  It is basically
a vibrator (anyone remember those?) unit.  I bought one; it does work,
though I haven't built it into anything yet.

Steve Gaarder
gaarder@bat.tn.cornell.edu