[sci.electronics] Followup - Need help with HP LaserJet II

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct15.211715.9415@zoo.toronto.edu> (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Oct13.142200.4154@rodan.acs.syr.edu> )Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>>If you have a set for the original LJ, what are the numbers in question ?
>
>LJ1 troubleshooting procedures say that heater bulb resistance ought to be
>1-5 ohms cold (if I'm reading the Japlish correctly).
>--

I measured the heater (thing looks like a 9" long lightbulb down
there) resistance: about 2.5 ohms.  It's marked as a 620 watt (wow)
element.. and the wall lamp flickering would be about right (same
circuit, 3rd floor of a house) for this load.

Via some finagling, I've managed to turn the unit on and observe the
glow of the header element.  So thats still working.

I switch the unit on, wait a few moments, and hear the familiar
rising-pitch whirr as the motors spin a little.  I see the bulb go on
for a few seconds (no timepiece, I figure about 5 seconds).  The bulb
goes off for about 2 seconds, goes back on for 2 seconds, and then
stays off until I cycle power and things start up all over again.

Furthur suggestions (outside of taking it to my local service
organization - yikes!) are solicited and would be appreciated.

Mark

P.S. My thanks to those who relayed the part numbers of the Service
and CE manuals.
| Mark Becker					| .signature under	|
| Internet: mbeck@ai.mit.edu			|	construction	|