[sci.electronics] Transistor help

cl2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Fleming Lane) (10/16/90)

Help!
We need to find equivalents for these european transistors for
a project.  Any help is appreciated.
ECG289A
ECG290A
ECG129 <--(ESPECIALLY)
ECG128
ECG373 <--(ESPECIALLY)
ECG374 <--(ESPECIALLY)
ECG123AP

We need these for an amplifier.  If you have any idea as to
where to find the european models, or helus track the American
(2N..) equivalents, we would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris Lane

Jeff.Miller@samba.acs.unc.edu (Jeff Miller) (10/16/90)

When I see those ECG numbers, they just scream at me.

I have an ECG(c) Master Replacement Guide. ECG, as far as I can tell,
is a supplier of a wide range of replacement components geared toward
the service industry. That you found a piece of equipment chock full
of them comes as something of a suprise. Maybe someone replaced all
of the transistors in your equip with ECG part (I did that once, was
caught away from home with a piece of equipment I had to fix) but
more likely the ECG numbering system is some sort of standard or ECG
is more of a supplier than I thought. A company called NTE also
makes or remarkets xistors using the same numbering system.

Sylvania, Philips, ECG, NTE, RCA. There has recently been some sort
of corporate implosion I forget the details of.

You want crosses for them? Could probably give you hundreds. My guide
is set up "the other way 'round", you look up a 2N part number and you
get back an ECG number. The cross may be a bit fishy. The guide also
gives pretty complete specs for each part. At least some of the parts
you mention are familiar right off.

You ought to be able to get this same guide or the similar NTE version
at one or another parts stores near you. Thje places that supply TV repair

parts. And of course you should be able to buy the parts there, by name.

E-mail me if you still want specifics.

-cornhead

--

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/16/90)

cl2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Fleming Lane) writes:
> We need to find equivalents for these european transistors for a project.
> ECG289A, ECG290A, [etc] If you have any idea as to where to find the
> American (2N..) equivalents, we would appreciate it.

	I think you're doing it backwards.  ECG is a company that produces
replacement transistors.  They have a big catalog listing 2N to ECG number
mappings, not the other way around.  Typically an ECG part will be a direct
replacement for a whole slew of 2N parts, having the same pinouts, equal or
greater beta and Ft, and max voltage and power ratings which exceed those of
all the 2N parts covered.  NTE electronics seems to also make a whole line
of drop-in replacements, with the same numbers as the ECGs.  For example,
the 289A and 290A are complementary (ie NPN and PNP) general purpose audio
frequency amplifiers.  Any serious electronics supplier (look for places
that cater to the TV repair trade) should have a good chunk of the ECG
and/or NTE line in stock.  You want to get the ECG Master Replacement Guide;
it's a phone-book size catalog showing everything.  Probably costs $5 by
now, but worth it.  If you can't find a dealer, try calling one of:

Philips ECG, Inc
Distributor and Special Markets Divisions
1025 Westminster Drive
PO Box 3277
Williamsport, PA 17701
717-323-4691 (?)

NTE Electronics, Inc
Bloomfield, NJ  07003
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

fng@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Felix Ng) (10/17/90)

cl2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Fleming Lane) writes:

> Help!
> We need to find equivalents for these european transistors for
> a project.  Any help is appreciated.
> ECG289A
> ECG290A
> ECG129 <--(ESPECIALLY)
> ECG128
> ECG373 <--(ESPECIALLY)
> ECG374 <--(ESPECIALLY)
> ECG123AP
>
> We need these for an amplifier.  If you have any idea as to
> where to find the european models, or helus track the American
> (2N..) equivalents, we would appreciate it.

Here are the equivalents that I found in my Radio Shack Reference Guide:

ECG289A  =  MPSA06
ECG290A  =  MPS2907
ECG128   =  2N3053
ECG123AP =  MPS2222A

Hope this helps

Felix Ng
<fng@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>

smlg1015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

Could someone explain what devices are included under the 2N. . . numbers?
Are they all BJT's or  FET's, as well ?  Do all American/ Japanese transistor
manufacturers label using the 2N. . . numbers?  Can you get any information
off the 2N. . . number without a spec sheet?

Stuart Lichtenthal

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (10/18/90)

In article <44900014@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> smlg1015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Could someone explain what devices are included under the 2N. . . numbers?

	All '2Nxxxx' numbers are issued by JEDEC (Joint Electronic
Devices Engineering Council, I think), and relate to any three-terminal
electronic widgets.  Transistors, FETs, SCRs, unijunction transistors,
etc.
>Are they all BJT's or  FET's, as well ?
	Obviously, no.
> Do all American/ Japanese transistor
>manufacturers label using the 2N. . . numbers?

	Most Japanese manufacturers don't, and many US manufacturers have
large numbers of unregistered devices.  Registration makes it possible
for your competitors to sell the same devices (i.e. it makes the device
number generic).  For some reason, most plastic power transistors
and lots of consumer-equipment transistors are of unregistered types.
	Japan has its own registered-part system, with 2SAxxx, 2SBxxx, ...
type numbers; this system DOES have a separate set of numbers for
FETs and bipolar transistors.

>Can you get any information off the 2N. . . number without a spec sheet?

	Not much; if the number is low (2N500 or below) it's almost
certainly Ge; if it's high (2N2000 or above) it's probably Si;
and if it has a 2Nxxxx part number, it can't be a dual-gate MOSFET;
that's because dual-gate MOSFETs have four terminals, not three;
they get 3Nxxx part numbers, instead.  Some optoisoolators have a
three-terminal transistor and two-terminal LED, so have 4Nxx
numbers.

	John Whitmore