[sci.electronics] IBM EGA monitor failure

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (10/17/90)

I have an IBM "Enhanced Color Display" EGA monitor, type 5154.  It has a
hardware failure.  When I last investigated getting it repaired, all
avenues seemed to lead to a fixed fee of ~$370.  I am seeking advice
about whether to trash it, try fixing it myself, or pay.

Symptoms:

1. When first turned on, the background brightness is unusually high and
   the vertical height is too.  Both recover to normal during 5-10 minutes
   of warm-up.

2. Failure takes one or both of two forms, both after some warm-up:

   (a) The raster splits near the center of the picture, creating a
   mostly blank horizontal stripe across the center.

   (b) A generalized raster degradation takes place in which the
   characters are just recognizable but poorly formed.

   There is an accompanying smell, like of an electrically overheated
   component.

             .----------------------------------------------------------------
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776
	     `----------------------------------------------------------------

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (10/18/90)

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:

>I have an IBM "Enhanced Color Display" EGA monitor, type 5154.  It
>has a hardware failure.  When I last investigated getting it
>repaired, all avenues seemed to lead to a fixed fee of ~$370.  I am
>seeking advice about whether to trash it, try fixing it myself, or
>pay...

Use a magnifying glass to inspect the flyback transformer's solder
connections.  They sometimes break.

Inspect the power supply.  It unbolts and unplugs from the monitor,
then you must drill out three pop-rivets.

Look for heat-damaged components in the power supply and elsewhere
(burned resistors, discolored/bulged/leaking capacitors, oxidized
solder joints.

There are two small electrolytic capacitors in the IBM EGA monitor
power-supply which commonly fail:  They are side by side, under a
large rectangular ceramic resistor which stands above the circuit
board.

--

Frank Reid     W9MKV     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (10/19/90)

In article <60129@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
>I have an IBM "Enhanced Color Display" EGA monitor, type 5154..
>Symptoms:
>
>1. When first turned on, the background brightness is unusually high
>and the vertical height is too.  Both recover to normal during
>5-10 minutes of warm-up.

Hard to say, but if the display is blooming, your high voltage
circuit is likely tweaked....if just vertical, this may be the
vertical sync/drive cktry.

>2. Failure takes one or both of two forms, both after some warm-up:
>
>   (a) The raster splits near the center of the picture, creating a
>   mostly blank horizontal stripe across the center.

Your vertical sync just went south.  The stripe is likely the
vertical blanking interval.  This can have two causes,,,,,if the
vertical SIZE is to much, the vertical Hold won't be able to
keep the picture stable.  This sounds more likely than simple
loss of Vertical Hold which would cause continuous rolling.
Given Fault #1, vertical drive components are suspect OR the
high voltage.

>   (b) A generalized raster degradation takes place in which the
>   characters are just recognizable but poorly formed.

Do the characters smear horizontally or vertically? If vertical,
still sounds like vertical.....

>   There is an accompanying smell, like of an electrically overheated
>   component.

Have you opened the unit (or will this void any warranty).  You
might just get lucky and spot an obviously abused component.

Repair cost is REAL close to our local (very competitive)
pricing on a NEC Multisync......or a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan...
I know what I would do.....donate the old unit to the local
electronics division of a college, etc.  Buy the NEC or Mitsu...

            /|
	\'o.O'
	=(___)=

     THPTH! ACKHH!